Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Paint Avocado Green
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Original Paint Avocado Green Reply with quote

Ive never owned a thing before however a good volkswagen friend of mine had this original paint avocado green thing sitting in his back yard after it had a small engine fire, unfortunately he passed away about a month ago and he will never get to fix it again so I bought this car from his family to get running and enjoy as he did, I know he is looking down now smiling down knowing that his thing will be enjoyed for many more years to come. May you rest in peace Eric.

So far I have encountered a problem it looks like the ignition switch melted in the fire and now does not turn is there a way to fix the og one or do I have to replace it, im hoping that it can be fixed as the key works the doors and engine lock as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heres how he had it in 2009 at the Phoenix bug-o-rama and around 2 or so years ago had the engine fire

Heres how it sat in his back yard for the last 2 or so years ago with notop

I have added the og wide 5 fuchs along with new rear tires im hoping to have it running and driving in a few weeks to make it to a carshow on the 18 of January there is a pretty good amount of work to do though to make it road worthy again
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot the fire damage picture

61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ignition switch is about the cheapest car part you will ever have the opportunity to buy. I think the last ones I bought were all of $9. The ignition lock assemble is a bit more but still not a lot.
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fully fixed my thing and it now runs and drives again and I gotta say it is a blast to drive ill post some pics another day
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
BRANDEN HOY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Will, It was cool talking to you and checking out your car on Saturday night. Got a couple decent bites on mine, hoping one will stick. I'll dig around and find you that link to the tops we were talking about.

What's the show on the 19th you talked about earlier?

Later,
Branden
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint Avocado Green Reply with quote

Here’s how it’s sits as of a few weeks ago I love this thing

Glad I sold my bus and not this
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
dualport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Paint Avocado Green Reply with quote

I apologize for partially hi-jacking the thread...

Now that you've owned and driven a lowered Thing... what's your honest opinion. Is it fun but a PITA to deal with, or does the fun more than outweigh the negatives. Just wondering...

I bought a lowered Thing with the intention of lifting it back up as I'm not so much into that. (I beached it on my 4-post ramps...) But the costs of un-lowering are starting to add up, and I only want to do it after I have all parts ready to go. Again, didn't want to hijack the thread but was interested in your point of view.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Original Paint Avocado Green Reply with quote

dualport wrote:
I apologize for partially hi-jacking the thread...

Now that you've owned and driven a lowered Thing... what's your honest opinion. Is it fun but a PITA to deal with, or does the fun more than outweigh the negatives. Just wondering...

I bought a lowered Thing with the intention of lifting it back up as I'm not so much into that. (I beached it on my 4-post ramps...) But the costs of un-lowering are starting to add up, and I only want to do it after I have all parts ready to go. Again, didn't want to hijack the thread but was interested in your point of view.
my only real complaint is it’s rubbed a hole in the drivers fender from constant rubbing other than that I like it lowered. I’d raise it up past stock height and put some mud tires on it but just like you said it starts to add up quick. I live in Phoenix so it’s just a street Vw for me
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: