Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED front turn signal bulbs ?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: LED front turn signal bulbs ? Reply with quote

I have replaced most of the bulbs on my 73 with LEDs. I have had zero problems other than the front turn signal lamps. When I use the LEDs the signals do not blink with the headlamps on.
Does anyone know what the fix is or do I need a specific LED bulb for the front ?

Thanks
olorin67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: LED front turn signal bulbs ? Reply with quote

The stock turn signal circuit really won’t work with LEDs. Why use LEDS? The filament of the bulb conducts current to light the indicator on the dash. And the load of the bulbs is needed for the flasher to work right. There are probably workarounds. But regular bulbs work just fine. I Use 1034 bulbs that are originally specified by vw , they are Brighter than the 1157 bulbs that most suppliers substitute. In most cases LED bulbs do not perform As well as regular bulbs because the reflector and optics of the original lights were designed for the small omnidirectional point source of an incandescent filament. LEDS are directional and dont work well with the optical desk of the lights in many cases.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: LED front turn signal bulbs ? Reply with quote

LED bulbs require a specialized type of flasher relay to account for the difference in load.
Just an example:
https://www.amazon.com/Flasher-Blinker-Signal-Moto...mp;sr=8-18

I have swapped all of my "tail light" bulbs for LED equivalents except the turn signal bulbs.
1. They are brighter.
2. They reach full brightness faster.
At freeway speed, 100 ft/sec., if the kid behind me hits his brakes 40 milliseconds sooner, that's 4 feet.
Someday, it could make the difference between a hit and a miss.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: LED front turn signal bulbs ? Reply with quote

Moonshine
Will the specific relay you provided the link for work in my 73 and will it allow the front blinkers to work with headlights on ?
Thanks much for the info.
The leds I put in the rear housings are much brighter than stock...I want people to see me !
Thanks
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LED front turn signal bulbs ? Reply with quote

Yel-
The circuits for the headlights are completely independent from those for the turn signals. I think something is wired wrong, or maybe improperly grounded. So check what you have against the wiring diagram, and check your fuses too.

I believe the flasher in the link will work with LED bulbs that are replacements for the original 1073 (rear, single filament) and 1034 (front, dual filament) turn signal bulbs.

If you are still using the original flasher relay, you will probably need to jumper the wire for the turn signal indicator bulb in the speedometer (blue/red, originally connected to Terminal KBL) to Terminal 49a of the new 3 prong flasher relay.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yel-mel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LED front turn signal bulbs ? Reply with quote

I'll have to study on that a bit. Yes I have the orig 4 prong flasher, I'm asum8ng one of the new flasher prongs will take 2 wires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: