Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question: Westfalia Faucet/Pump Wiring Problem
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Question: Westfalia Faucet/Pump Wiring Problem Reply with quote

Background:
I have an 87 Westfalia and stock faucet. the faucet was very intermittent so I figured it was going bad. I replaced it with a Shurflo faucet and its still doing the same thing. I also notice my level indicator panel and Galley light also work intermittently. I have the GoWesty Aux Battery setup which GoWesty installed and they noted that the Dash Acc (light, pump etc) should run off of the Aux Batteries.

In case I cant find the culprit in regards to why my items are working some of the time I want to wire the galley light and water tank pump directly to my Aux Battery Fuse distribution panel.

Can you tell me where/what the water tank pump wires are/route through in order to hook them up to the distribution panel?

I remember only needing to hookup two wires on the Shurflo Faucet but Im almost sure those wires may be a single positive or a single negative wire which the faucet acts like a switch to complete the circuit and turn the pump on.

Here's my Aux Battery wiring:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 87 should have two fuses on the b pillar behind the drivers seat. Do you still have those? The 8 amp fuse if for the kitchen panel and the water pump. The larger 16 amp fuse is for the 12 volt element in the stock fridge and has power only when the engine is running. If you have those, you'd move them on to the new fusebox you have installed.

I recall a thread where someone had a similar problem with the sink and it was related to the panel somehow. If you are experiencing a similar problem, it might be easier to rewire the pump and faucet and bypass the van's original wiring for the pump operation. We have a shurflow. Nice upgrade.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm poor with vanagon wiring but I don't think the galley light runs through the aux battery unless they rewired it to. As far as intermittent connection, there are 2 glass fuses in he little box by the driver's door that the fridge wiring goes through. Maybe they aren't making a good connection. I am not familiar with the GW kit, that doesn't look like what they used to sell. Maybe someone else will be more help. It is really is intermittent I woudl think it was a loose wire or fuse.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
The 87 should have two fuses on the b pillar behind the drivers seat. Do you still have those? The 8 amp fuse if for the kitchen panel and the water pump. The larger 16 amp fuse is for the 12 volt element in the stock fridge and has power only when the engine is running. If you have those, you'd move them on to the new fusebox you have installed.

I recall a thread where someone had a similar problem with the sink and it was related to the panel somehow. If you are experiencing a similar problem, it might be easier to rewire the pump and faucet and bypass the van's original wiring for the pump operation. We have a shurflow. Nice upgrade.

I do still have those and I havent checked the connection of the fuses. I will check those and will probably end up bypassing that fuse block altogether and wiring it to the distribution block instead. At least I can see if that does the trick. Thanks

davevickery wrote:
I'm poor with vanagon wiring but I don't think the galley light runs through the aux battery unless they rewired it to. As far as intermittent connection, there are 2 glass fuses in he little box by the driver's door that the fridge wiring goes through. Maybe they aren't making a good connection. I am not familiar with the GW kit, that doesn't look like what they used to sell. Maybe someone else will be more help. It is really is intermittent I woudl think it was a loose wire or fuse.

My apologies, the panel was rewired to the Aux battery setup so the level indicator reads out the status of the Aux batteries and NOT the starter battery. Thanks.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to GW's youtube video all the camping gear, radio and lights are wired to the Aux battery
using their setup. I still think it's something going on in the starter battery box, loose wire but if
the fuses are good then it's not shorting.

It's a wire chase now, good luck buddy!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
According to GW's youtube video all the camping gear, radio and lights are wired to the Aux battery
using their setup. I still think it's something going on in the starter battery box, loose wire but if
the fuses are good then it's not shorting.

It's a wire chase now, good luck buddy!

Hopefully I can give it a looksee this weekend... I'll be camping again but i'll carve out a little time to see if I can find the culprit . I'll let ya know
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sink pump by itself is a very simple circuit. The pump needs a ground, anywhere on the chassis will do and a power lead connected to your auxiliary battery. The faucet can be either between the battery positive or between the pump and the chassis ground. If that helps.

I like to troubleshoot electrical and avoid running new wiring to bypass a problem, but not everyone is the same. In the end, you just need the sink to work.
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this?

I have problems with my faucet/ pump system.

Mines was working the last trip we went on(1 month ago).
Now i can hear the pump working kinda accelerates and decelerates water burps out of faucet stops for a few seconds and then burps out again does a dribble for a bit then nothing!! but I can hear the pump buzzing intermittently all the way through this.

Maybe the pump is gone? should i order a new one or start taking the system apart.

Cheers

1986 2.1L Westy 2wd 4-spd Sold!!!!
1987 2.1L Westy syncro
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5Gt Wagon 5sp MT
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almo wrote:
Any updates on this?

I have problems with my faucet/ pump system.

Mines was working the last trip we went on(1 month ago).
Now i can hear the pump working kinda accelerates and decelerates water burps out of faucet stops for a few seconds and then burps out again does a dribble for a bit then nothing!! but I can hear the pump buzzing intermittently all the way through this.

Maybe the pump is gone? should i order a new one or start taking the system apart.

Cheers

Remove the pump and bench test it to see if if works properly. I simple cig plug and some clamps on
the other side to the wires and add a little water.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apologies for not updating the thread...

the problem was caused by a crappy ground connection. It seems it was originally setup so all of the ground wires were on one ground post. the ground for the kitchen was loose and making sporadic contact.

I replaced a lot of the wiring and added Blue Sea fuse blocks that also incorporate a ground distribution bock as well. Now every accessory wire has its own ground connection to the block.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: