Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found my lost cat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

It was supposed to be plastic but after looking over the work I think they may have used sand because the surface is pretty rough. I have a lot of work to do getting it ready for paint.
whozawhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

When mine was blasted it opened up the surface like a sponge, was very porous and required a lot of work to fill and smooth out. Mine was also done with soda and I had to rinse and neutralize a few times until I was happy there was no residue. It made me wonder if just spending the time with a DA would have been better. Luckily yours has the removable bumper extensions and you don't need to deal with the corrugated area that mine has, what a pain.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

Opened it up like a sponge is a good description. I tried the DA sander and it just clogged up after about 15 seconds, Heat gun was effective but slow and paint stripper was also slow not to mention messy. So the blasting was probably to best was to go. As I have looked over the car I found several more spots to repair that I wasn't aware of, so I will have so work to do over the next couple of weeks.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

are there any problems with bonded-in steel on the puma bodywork?
how's this project coming on?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

I just found this thread, too late now but personally I would have wet sanded that body with say 80 grit until it got down to the primer coat. The water cools the paint and prevents the melting and sand paper plugging you were experiencing.

Back 25 years ago we used a product call Feather Fill on fiberglass bodies to prep them for paint. It is a high build polyester resin based sprayable primer/surfacer that is very compatible in temperature expansion rates to fiberglass and helps prevent future alligator cracking of the finish coat.

All this is no doubt too late but update us anyway please. Nice car!
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

finster wrote:

The steel is fine. The project is kind of on hold temporarily while I rebuild an Airstream for the wife.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

[quote="oprn"]I just found this thread, too late now but personally I would have wet sanded that body with say 80 grit until it got down to the primer coat. The water cools the paint and prevents the melting and sand paper plugging you were experiencing.

I tried the wet sanding and it still was a problem unless I hand sanded. The acrylic lacquer paint was on extremely thick which was part of the problem it would take an hour to get a square foot sanded.
whozawhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

I used a high build polyester primer from Duratec on my Puma and I liked the product filled well and sanded ok.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

I plan on using the same product, once I get to that stage.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

It has been a while since I posted any updates on the puma project, mainly because I haven't been working on it. As I stated earlier this year I was interrupted by my wife's Airstream project which turned into a full frame off restoration as well. Shocked Before I knew it, the weather had turned and it was Deer Season so.... all work stopped and I started spending all my "free time" sitting in a tree waiting for deer. I did manage to kill a couple and fill the freezer so the wife is very happy.
But now it is cold and wet, yesterday was raining and 36 degrees. So I have hunkered down in the shop, turned up the heat and picked up on the Puma project for a while. I had put on a set of 2 1/2 inch drop spindles but it was about 1 inch too low for me. So last weekend I got beam adjusters welded on and the beam repainted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This weekend I turned up the heat a little more and broke out the fiberglass to patch some holes in the front of the car. The 2 inch holes were put in at the factory for a couple of different reasons. The center hole was to allow you to pull out the shifter rod out for maintenance (won't happen in my life time) and the two side holes were for crash protection. The factory added two steal tubes that extended from the front beam shock towers to the front bumper behind the rubber bumper trim. These were for North American cars from what I gather and only provided a marginal increase of crash absorption in a direct head on collision. I am look building some bolt on pieces that will tie everything together in that area to provide some real protection.

whozawhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

good to see you working on it again
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

whozawhat wrote:
good to see you working on it again

Thanks Paul. I am happy to be getting some things done while the weather is crappy. Since I can't work outside on the Airstream because of the constant rain I figure that I might as well be productive.
This past weekend I pulled out old camber bracket and cleaned everything. Then I sand blasted and powder coated the small parts along with the transmission bracket. Unfortunately I don't have a big enough oven to cure the larger parts so I ended up painting the camber spring leaf and the spring plates. Here are some photos. The first is sandblasted part and the second is the powder coated part. I'll also through in a picture of the spring and my knock down spay booth.

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

I enjoy seeing home plating, powder coating, casting, and the like. Great finish to parts.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

Thanks, I wish I had an oven about 48" wide and 48" high to do bigger parts. Maybe once I get this car and camper done I will build a bigger oven with the parts from the oven I am using.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

I got some new parts in so I was able to finish putting the front beam together. I went back to standard spindles and add the adjusters to the beam to achive a 1 1/2 inch drop. I had the drop spindles but it was just to much for the front of the Puma.

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

Petfisheric wrote:
finster wrote:

The steel is fine. The project is kind of on hold temporarily while I rebuild an Airstream for the wife.

Typical, when the women see you doing stuff, they need you to do stuff for them. Rolling Eyes

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

I have been doing some powder coating of some small parts and took my motor to the machine shop to have new liners fitted and rods reconditioned. I will be bumping it from 1600 to 2005 with a 78mm crank and 90.5mm pistons.

whozawhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

That powder coating looks great. I am enjoying watching your progress.
How is the body coming along?
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

Paul, I haven't done much to the body this winter. I have to get some of the other crap out of my shop so I will have room to work on the body.
Notchman65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Found my lost cat Reply with quote

Petfisheric, it's been 3 years since the last update. You've got to be done with it by now...any new pics?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: