Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Value of Bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nor_AL_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Value of Bus Reply with quote

Hey,
Would like opinion on the value of this bus that a neighbor needs to sell. Her boyfriend abandoned it and she wants it gone and want to offer her a fair deal. This is the only pic I have and it is running and driving. Rust in rockers. I think it is a Sportsmobile; don't know the year. Thanks,
Scott

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 Type 2 Standard Walk-thru
69 Ghia
68 912

Amateur Versus Rusty Bus!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'68 or '69

running and driving is always a good selling point, means you know that the motor is a good core. Seems like you'd be putting in work on the body obviously

So obviously it's going to be less than 6,000.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At best $1000. What is with the vertical panel behind the drivers door? Does the rust look the same on the other side? What condition is the frame like and how does it look at the rear torsion housing? With the rust like that towards the rear the torsion area needs a good look over. Just because it runs gives no clue to it's overall health. I tend to be cheap when purchasing, I'd give around $500.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the laws in your state, but in many states if you don't have a title the bus isn't worth much at all, pretty much not even worth scrap value.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I wonder why her boyfriend abandoned it. Mechanical issues?

Often the sales price of a marginally running bus with rot is far lower than the individual parts. That pair of bumpers with over-riders would likely sell for close to Babysnakes' price for the whole bus. That set of wide five bus rims with hubcaps along with those bumpers would probably sell for $7-800 combined, which is more than I would pay for that bus.

You could probably get around $2-3000 for the bus by selling it on Craigslist to someone with stars in their eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you spend any more time or money on it find out where the title is and if the buyer can get clear title. People don't always tell the whole story on these things.
Nor_AL_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, no titles in Alabama for cars older than 1975. The boyfriend just left and abandoned, so I'll ask a lawyer friend what she should do. She wants $500, so like some said, she should probably put on CL and ask $1000. Not worth the time and effort for me to make a couple hundred after time, tags insurance etc. Thanks.
69 Ghia
68 912

Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have the police run the vin on it and see what comes up. That's what they do here in ga for vehicles without a title.
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it registered to him? I would think if it was she can't do a damn thing with it. Really depends on how long it has been abandoned. It's hard to legally sell someone elses vehicle.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The boyfriend just left and abandoned

you apparently have never been at some gal's house you met, and 2 am the drunk old boyfriend, or worse, ex-husband to be, shows up at home. Like I said, abandoned may only be a part of the story. I know more than one married guy who came back into the house from the garage and asked, "Honey, where are my golf clubs?" To which the reply was, "Oh gee honey, I thought you gave that up so I sold them months ago." I don't think will work with a motor vehicle registered in someone other's name.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike the PRC you can sell abandoned property pretty easily in ROW. Likewise it's easier to title them too.

Ask for 2500 on the CL ad. Plenty of part out guys here and elsewhere.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Ask for 2500 on the CL ad.

That's absurd! But then again, get what ya can. I would be surprised if it sold for 2 grand. Popcorn
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law would strongly question that this bus was legally abandoned. The owner didn't just drive it off into some farmer's field and leave it. He left it at his girlfriend's place and presumably had permission to do so. She can't just go selling someone else's property without at least getting their okay and preferably a power of attorney. If someone buys this and either fixes it up and the true owner returns it is probably his and he can just drive off with it and if the buyer has stripped it he is going to be on the hook to replace the entire bus with something likely much more costly.

The girlfriend needs to go through the steps to have this bus declared legally abandoned before selling it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She would have to do a lien on the vehicle to sell it.
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus why the best way to sell this bus is parts!!! It's time to start pullin' them!
Nor_AL_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She has a non-Alabama title signed to her. I initially didn't ask because we're a non title state for cars older than 1975. Makes no difference to me, I advised her of a price to list on CL and the rest is up to her.
Scott
69 Ghia
68 912

ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there - done that! My first bus was when I lived in Huntsville back in the early 80's. Whatta cool time to be driving a '71 bus.... Then a couple years ago I got that bus back from the buddy I loaned it to (25 years or so later Smile). Somehow he had registered it in his name, but no title as you know. When he went to transfer it back to me, the lack of title was a bummer here in South Carolina where I live now. He ended up having to fill out a SC form that was designed for exactly that. Got it notarized and sent off the bill of sale to me.

Before:

After:

I kid you not! Smile Look at the radio antenna!

This is the bus I learned on after blowing up the engine while coming down off Monte Sano Mountain one night late after a concert in the park... Oh, the days.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Unlike the PRC you can sell abandoned property pretty easily in ROW. Likewise it's easier to title them too.

Ask for 2500 on the CL ad. Plenty of part out guys here and elsewhere.

Tons of 5000 USD fixer upper camper Bays on CL in CA. 2000 to transport makes this a 5000-2500 = 2500 sale, easily, for the patient seller.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alabama always required a registration on all vehicles regardless of vehicle age if they were to be driven. Prior to 1975 Alabama did not have a document that in other states was called a "certificate of title." When the law changed they grandfathered in pre-1975 vehicles which never had anything other than the registration - which also served as a title. Some states have both a title, and registration. Regardless - it is a piece of paper from the state saying "we accept you as the legal owner of this vehicle, and you can drive it on the street."

Since the bus is not registered in Alabama the DMV will probably want the title the boyfriend signed over to her, and a bill of sale from her before they transfer the registration to whomever buys it. An out of state vehicle registered in Alabama for the first time usually requires all the paperwork of the state it is coming from, and probably a bill of sale also in this case from her to the next buyer. This prevents someone from say stealing a car in Pensacola Florida, driving it to Mobile Alabama, and selling it on a bill of sale less than an hour later.

The value would be worth more if it had a current registration and it drove.
monkbonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vehicle needs to be only 35 years old or older to not require a title when registering the vehicle. I could register a car manufactured in 1980 next year (2015) without a title.

When I registered my Beetle with a bill of sale, the DMV agent got the seller's name completely wrong despite me spelling it out for her. Not much follow through on their end. It was a tag renewal day dash though (last day of the month).
1969 Amante GT Roller
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: