Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

Those of you are are tuned into the fact the the Anarchists are putrefying our precipus bodily fluids with DRLs.....

1 remove four body finish screws from panel under the climate controls ( manual on my pop top weekender)

2 remove panel

3 remove relay 94

4 sell it on Samba classifieds

Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Those of you are are tuned into the fact the the Anarchists are putrefying our precipus bodily fluids with DRLs.....

...???

I WISH I had pre-wired DRL's... Rolling Eyes

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

I do not understand why people do not like DRLs?

I spent a ton of money getting DRLs. LOL I hadn't had a vehicle with out them for so long it didn't occur to me to turn my lights on during the day (like in the rain) and one day I was going through the border (on a miserable day) and the border guard said, "You might like to turn your lights on", which of course I did then and there. And, then researched the heck out of getting them! Voila, Projektzwo auxiliary lights http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=340

http://www.terrawagen.com

tam
dhaavers wrote:
Abscate wrote:

...???

I WISH I had pre-wired DRL's... Rolling Eyes

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you not want DRL's??

Proven safety item that many desire or must install on their units.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought liking DRLs was more of a Canadian thing? I remember someone (here I think) making a joke that they always knew when the Canadians were on the Army base b/c they were required to turn out their lights, but the Canadians could not. LOL

tam
djkeev wrote:
Why would you not want DRL's??

Proven safety item that many desire or must install on their units.

Dave

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

1 remove four body finish screws from panel under the climate controls ( manual on my pop top weekender)

2 remove panel

3 remove relay 94

4 sell it on Samba classifieds

Very Happy

thanks. I'm gonna try that on my 02 Jetta.
I decide when I want my lights on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRL is not for you...

it's for some other PEOPLE can't see you..

those are half-blind, driving under influence of some sort, forgetting their eye glasses. etc etc... and the streets are full of them...

err... rather safe than sorry ... NO?

Very Happy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
DRL is not for you...

it's for some other PEOPLE can't see you..

those are half-blind, driving under influence of some sort, forgetting their eye glasses. etc etc... and the streets are full of them...

err... rather safe than sorry ... NO?

Very Happy

My car, an aging Pontiac/Toyota product has DRL's but they utilize the low beam thus bulb life is short on a fairly expensive bulb.

I can totally see rewiring DRL's to utilize a separate bulb (such as rarely if ever used factory Fog lights), but disabling them? No.

The OP has probably never driven the Great Plains or the High Deserts to actually see first hand what a remarkable difference DRL's make in on coming car visibility.
DRL's also help you see the A Holes who fail to turn on lights during rain storms or foggy conditions. This is largely due to digital instrumentation that is all lit up so there isn't that "OMG I can't see my dash! I better turn on my lights!" Moment. I see this all the time! Grey/black cars are almost invisible in bad weather.

Oh well..... Mini Rant over! Rolling Eyes

His car, do as you wish..... Just don't kill me because I didn't see you.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
cc1865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to disable mine to help signaling the truckers. On a two lane, it might be good to have them. There might be a switch in my future.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing is that in today's world of so many cars having DRL, having them doesn't neccesarily make you more visible, but disabling them certainly makes you less visible.

I'd bet insurance companies would jump at the opportunity to NOT pay out when they figure out you actively disabled a safety feature. One that I'm sure they calculated your insurance rate on! Pretty simple to nullify your insurace based on things like this.

Seems most people want to do this out of vanity reasons, like tinted tail lights. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand not wanting DRL's on. I wish more people had to THINK about turning their lights on and off. I can't tell you how many times I see someone with DRL's on, that doesn't have their lights on at night, so their taillights aren't on, etc.

Also, I agree with being able to signal other drivers with a full "OFF-ON-OFF" type light signal, vs. the "DRL-Flash to pass-DRL" which really isn't visible. It's a debate, but I prefer more control over my lights than less. Just like my transmission, etc
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
thanks. I'm gonna try that on my 02 Jetta.

Remove headlight switch, place electrical tape over TFL pin, reinstall headlight switch (works on EuroVans too). If you get a Euro version of the switch, you can then turn the running lights on separate from the headlights. In the Golf/Jetta IV's, it's relay #173; pulling it will also disable the e-brake warning light.

DRL's and always-lit instrument clusters have not helped idiot dusk-to-dawn drivers who fail to turn their running lights on when driving during the dark hours... it's rampant in north Phoenix. Worst one yet, and just recently, was a dumb blond chick driving a black sedan slower than the speed limit on a barely lit section of road without a single light on... oh, but she did have her cell phone on. Brick wall In this day and age, with all the other techno and safety stuff being installed, car makers should be installing auto-on exterior lighting systems too. But that's for another forum.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
....DRL's and always-lit instrument clusters have not helped idiot dusk-to-dawn drivers who fail to turn their running lights on when driving during the dark hours... it's rampant in north Phoenix. ...

x2 on that, it has been more noticeable in recent years. I also suspect it's due to always-lit instrument (digital) clusters on newer cars. On my wife's '91 Civic, with factory wired DRL, the high beams are on at a lower intensity and the high beam warning light glows on the dash until the headlights are turned on.

On the Civic, the instrument lights and taillights are not on when the DRL's are on.

I believe that the high beam's (at a lower intensity) were selected as a concession between the regulators and automotive manufacturers so that
1) the manufacturers did not have to design in a new light
2) using the high beam light lessened the chance of premature burnout of the low beams (a concern mentioned by an earlier post)

Here's a pic of the Civic with the DRL's on:
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Yeah, and headlights, brake lights, turn signals, marker lights...rip all that crap outta there! Just use a flashlight when you want light.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

and always-lit instrument clusters have not helped idiot dusk-to-dawn drivers .

Which isn't a problem on an 02 Eurovan. Only the needles are lit all the time, not all of the dash. Wink
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

@Abscate Just a quick note on this old post to say "thanks" for posting it. (Also @kamzcab86 for chiming in with another approach on the post linked to below.)

Interesting to read all the pushback and debate on this post and this one as well. The potential insurance problem aspect is worth pointing out, but I also hadn't thought of the "can't signal truckers" aspect.

The other 2002-year vehicle we owned has "real" DRLs, as opposed to the "just turns on the headlights" version the EV has. I've been finding "the headlights always on" implementation mildly annoying in a number of different situations. One that I'm surprised nobody brought up: moving your van late at night in campgrounds -- headlights blasting on every tent and camper in the path of their beams.

Anyway... thanks all.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

It's been 25+ years since DRL's were required on Canadian cars. As I travel in the US I see more and more cars with headlights on (DRL, or headlights).

In the early years, the DRL's made your car more visible than the cars without, but now, in Canada, if you do not have DRL's (or your headlights on), you are virtually invisible against the other cars.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

If your situational awareness is so impaired that you can't judge when to turn on your headlights, park your car for another 2 years until autonomous cars hit, then buy one. Thanks from us.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

The EV is just an always on. Pretty much like a MKIV VW where when you pull the E-Brake they go off. Other than that, they are always on. They are not low voltage or dimmed at all. I pulled my relay when I got my EV but then went the Euro switch, Euro headlights, city lights and rear fog route.

I never replaced a burned out bulb though as opposed to my Jetta that goes through at least one every two years. It's not a big deal but interesting to have one car with them and one not and see what happens over the years. Now I got different headlights with HID's and we'll see how that works out. I'm not sold on it yet.

I remember the whole DRL light thing back around 2000 on the TDI forums. It got heated because of safety vs the extra mileage you get with the headlights off. Maybe that's why I only get 52 mpg with my TDI. I probably could get 80-90 with the lights off. Plus I bought all of those $10 bulbs over 18 years and that has really taken a hit on the old bank account.

That was about as bad as not leaving your TDI running or leaving it running when parked. The starter wear of leaving it running was going to be a real money saver. I went with shutting it off all of the time. It's coming on 18 years for the original starter, I'm just waiting to go broke when it takes a dump because I used it too much.
fkahlert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan, disabling Daytime running lights Reply with quote

I think my S5 has a menu item to turn off the DRL. never bothered. Also has a setting to have the automatic light setting come on "early" or "late". You can tell when the lights switch on as the nav turns from day to night view.
Once you plug in the Vag-com you can even modify the intensity level of the DRL LEDs.

Ah and also, when you don't have the lights on (but have DRL), the instrument cluster lighting gets darker as dusk sets in so you basically notice that you have no lights on.

So many choices and me simpleton just leave the light on Auto, DRLs on. I am sure i am spending gallons of gas....but likely not from the lights. Smile
Florian 03 MVWK with OEM candles.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3386/3571648648_34d1da31fa_z.jpg?zz=1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: