Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar Panel Mounting Without Drilling?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Solar Panel Mounting Without Drilling? Reply with quote

I got two Goal Zero Boulder 15 panels for christmas and they fit perfectly in the front cargo area. Any ideas on how to mount these without drilling through the fiberglass? I'm thinking maybe some good double sided foam tape maybe? Not sure if drilling would do less damage over time.

Thoughts?

The Boulder fit nicely, and 4 should fill the space perfectly. I'll pick up 2 later. I'm powering a Yeti 400 which I like quite a bit so far. Thanks!
Hodakaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to drill holes you could make a small aluminum panel that would just fit across the opening of the storage area. Then make slits in the aluminum piece where you could use a small nylon strap to pass through the slits in the panel and attach to the factory tie down points already installed on the top. Once the panel is nice and tight using the nylon straps just mount the solar panels to the aluminum panel.

You could buy a section of ABS plastic to do the same thing with if you didn't want the aluminum.

Hodakaguy

My Unimog Build: https://advrider.com/f/threads/meet-the-trotn-turtle-unimog-u1300l-build.1143869/

My Tacoma Builds: https://advrider.com/f/threads/hodakaguys-overland-tacoma-builds-on-to-new-adventures.1274770/

My 4wd Sprinter Build here:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9334401#9334401
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you throw a pic up of these panels, where you got them etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has come up with a frame that slots into the luggage rack cleats in the front and secures to the rear buckles using something like the GW luggage box latches.

That would give you a panel that could be angled up when you want to catch better sun, and when it was down, you could use it for secure storage. I read the solar panel IN the luggage rack thread but don't recall anything about mounting one to the luggage rack cleats.

OK now I'm just waiting to hear that someone makes them.
sammyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.goalzero.com/p/20/boulder-15-solar-panel/

They aren't cheap, but everything comes together really well. I didn't want to get into a second battery system because my last van had one and it always had problems.

I'll take a pic with the panels in the cargo area. I'd like to keep them low down to avoid any wind resistance and to keep them hidden from view.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammyman wrote:
http://www.goalzero.com/p/20/boulder-15-solar-panel/

They aren't cheap, but everything comes together really well. I didn't want to get into a second battery system because my last van had one and it always had problems.

I'll take a pic with the panels in the cargo area. I'd like to keep them low down to avoid any wind resistance and to keep them hidden from view.

Why a GoalZero (good company) 15W panel for $55 considering Renogy (another good company) sells a folding 100W panel including controller for about $270 that also fits in the Westy luggage rack. Strap it in, lock it, and go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HR8YNK6/ref=mp_s_...SY165_QL70

I wouldn't hesitate to instal an aux bat system. With proper components (and if you're going through the trouble of installing solar anyway) reliability is a non-issue. My guess is you inherited a PO's antiquated and cobbled system. Don't let that dissuade you. Blue Seas ACR 7610, two DieHard Platinum AGM batteries, Blue Seas fuse panel, plus solar = Very Happy

I wouldn't tape your panels down. First, there isn't any double sided tape that will ever guarantee it's hold in wind, weather, sun, etc. Secondly, you would not be able to properly angle your panel at the sun resulting in a HUGE loss of efficiency.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyoujerry:

How does the Renogy folding solar panel compare to the one Go Westy sells (for a lot more $$)?
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryecatcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my Renogy 100W flexible panel on the back of the roof with 3M industrial strength velcro. It's going on a year now and no signs of it loosening (and it gets plenty of humidity and heat in Florida).
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
Thankyoujerry:

How does the Renogy folding solar panel compare to the one Go Westy sells (for a lot more $$)?

I think the general consensus is that the Renogy is much better for the $. Here are a few threads that discuss the solar topic well (inc. the Renogy):

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609971

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592743

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7492662&highlight=#7492662

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comming from the automotive and high end RV body repair industry, I have seen and have installed several "things" with 3M adhesion promoter and VHB ( very high bond ) tape. I have installed the entire set of polished stainless side trim moldings on a 65 C10 that I restored and let the truck bake in the sun, drive it at 80 and let it drown in rain for several months all the while pressure washing it between sunny days here in the NWthats alot of washes) just to prove to the nay sayers that tape will hold a $600 set of moldings to a truck in everday conditions.
I just purchased my dual battery system and will be using Renogy components stuck with VHB to the roof of the tin top....no holes....no water leaks. Cables through the drivers rear engine vent Smile

Last edited by newfisher on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Comming from the automotive and high end RV body repair industry, I have seen and have installed several "things" with 3M adhesion promoter and VHB ( very high bond ) tape. I have installed the entire set of polished stainless side trim moldings on a 65 C10 that I restored and let the truck bake in the sun, drive it at 80 and let it drown in rain for several months all the while pressure washing it between sunny days here in the NWthats alot of washes) just to prove to the nay sayers that tape will hold a $600 set of moldings to a truck in everday conditions.
I just purchased my dual battery system and will be using Renogy components stuck with VHB to the roof of the tin top....no holes....no water leaks. Cables through the drivers rear engine vent Smile

Very interesting. Can you remove VHB tape and its residue (without damaging paint, etc) if you decide to change things later?

I still don't think you will get close to peak efficiency with a panel mounted flat on the roof. What will you do in the dead of summer when you are camping/parked in the shade?
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it can be removed but not without effort. A good soaking with 203 or a wax and grease emover while pushing a plastic wi dshield tool called a " bone" through it will get the job done without scratching.

Im mostly going to be running an Engle fridge for a day or 2 max most trips ( we have a larger vintage Avion that we occupy on 4 day boondocks to the lake) and if I need to " hunt the sun" I have a Zamp portable 80w bifold panel on a 30 foot cable that folds flat and should keep me charged up. After using the portable, I wouldnt want to permanantly mount it. It looks built to be temporarily set up and then stored. I wouldnt trust the ele tronics to the elements for long. A simple Renogy 100w system off Amazon looks like the best bang for the buck on a permanent set up. There is a new style 30 amp controller that is nib in the vanagon classifides as of midnight last night.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone designed a top mount 4 a 100w panel so that when top dn u can tilt/rotate 4 direct sun?? So far latched dn when driving the biggest problem so panel still supported so no damage.
Vee-Dubs 87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryecatcher wrote:
I installed my Renogy 100W flexible panel on the back of the roof with 3M industrial strength velcro. It's going on a year now and no signs of it loosening (and it gets plenty of humidity and heat in Florida).

This.
I've put about 3000 miles on my van with this configuration (highway and city) and I can still grab the panel and shake the entire van side to side. Very pleased with this setup.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I'm surprised no one has come up with a frame that slots into the luggage rack cleats in the front and secures to the rear buckles using something like the GW luggage box latches.

Now that would be perfect Exclamation
sammyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

Why a GoalZero (good company) 15W panel for $55 considering Renogy (another good company) sells a folding 100W panel including controller for about $270 that also fits in the Westy luggage rack. Strap it in, lock it, and go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HR8YNK6/ref=mp_s_...SY165_QL70

I got the Goal Zero Yeti 400 on a whim (Amazon lightning deal) for $310. Once I got it it fits perfectly under my rear flip seat since I have a multivan. My power needs aren't huge, just one Engel and iPhones. I'm super happy with that part of the equation.

The Renogy looks great. Looks like it fits in the cargo area folded. Does it mount inside the cargo bin up front as well? I don't want it sticking out. I live in an area where exterior accessories can disappear pretty easily if you know what I mean.

Also, it is my understanding that the Renology can't hook up to my Goal Zero. Is this true? Still new to this stuff, but I thought all Goal Zero stuff was proprietary. Edit: so it looks like the Renology attaches directly to a battery. Yeah, wouldn't work for me.

Also, I bought the two 15 panels for $35 (also on a whim) on black friday. Total cost for the 4 panels and 60 W would be $180. I think 60W would be good enough for me.
Hodakaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
davevickery wrote:

Now that would be perfect Exclamation

And pretty dang easy to fabricate! If there was enough interest I could make some up.

Hodakaguy

My Unimog Build: https://advrider.com/f/threads/meet-the-trotn-turtle-unimog-u1300l-build.1143869/

My Tacoma Builds: https://advrider.com/f/threads/hodakaguys-overland-tacoma-builds-on-to-new-adventures.1274770/

My 4wd Sprinter Build here:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9334401#9334401
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt there would be a lot of demand. How many van owners are adding solar power, and of those how many would want to mount it there. But you never know.

I'd pay you for the first prototype, at the beta price level. PM if you think you might want to try making one. I was envisioning an aluminum piece that I could stick a thin solar panel to, cut to fit just inside the luggage rack with blocks or stops added to the fiberglass so it fit nicely just level with the top of the luggage rack, out of the wind but still plenty of storage below. Kind of a combo tonneau cover/solar panel.
Dave
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea and might be interested in one although I'm thinking of going the Pelican 1720 storage box route next year. Any way to make it fit over that or would it be too high?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cases stick up pretty high. The space is nice but there are a few downsides to them. I think I would be happier with just a bit of storage and a nice low profile cover.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think I am going to make up a cover for myself. At first I thought aluminum but thick white plastic would match my white van better. I can laminate some PVC type material over 1/4" exterior grade plywood and use a trimmer to get it to fit exactly the way I want. Adding a thin film solar panel to the top of it would be easy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: