Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corney13's '63 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Not a whole lot of progress lately, but I did manage to finish my steering wheel. I repaired the wheel I got with the car, which was black. (Not original I'm sure) It had a few minor cracks, but overall in pretty good condition. I filled the cracks with JB Weld and sanded it down. I them painted it with Rustoleum Almond Appliance Epoxy. I then ordered a wheel cover from Wheel Skins and cross stitched it instead of the loop method they show. Lastly I installed a new Re-pop horn ring I got from Koch (Which is local to me) and fitted my Empi GTV style horn button. I think it came out nice!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

I was going to install my new transaxle, but realized I needed a new bowden tube, so installed the Gab-Fab Weber Windows instead....

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

I'm not a metal fabrication guy. But I'm not afraid to try metal work.
I have all of the metal cutting, gluing, sanding, grinding tools to get the job done.
What is the degree of difficultly involved with installing those "Weber" window's?

I have also considered installing "Hi pacs" from England. Hi pacs are much bigger the the ones you installed.

Nice work BTW.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
emperorwurm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

wow, this is great....I want to restore my 63 like this...good work.
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

absolutly beautiful Shocked

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Yes! Very nice work!
Glad to see yer makin' progress!
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I'm not a metal fabrication guy. But I'm not afraid to try metal work.
I have all of the metal cutting, gluing, sanding, grinding tools to get the job done.
What is the degree of difficultly involved with installing those "Weber" window's?

I have also considered installing "Hi pacs" from England. Hi pacs are much bigger the the ones you installed.

Nice work BTW.

Thank you! I was apprehensive as well. Installing the Weber Windows was not difficult. I wrote the guy who made these about exact placement, but there does not seem to be an exact spot, so I drew a line on the welds of the firewall and went from there. I just made sure that they weren't crooked. I can provide measurements of mine if you are interested. When I cut the hole I left about an 1/8th inch of metal from the inside of the metal frame, that way you can hammer it over the frame when it is riveted in. Make sure that the corners are rounded like the frame. When you are hammering over the metal, a little trick for the corners is to use the side of the round head of a hammer and hit it with another hammer. It will bend the metal perfectly around the inside of the frame corners. The rivets are the aircraft crush type. I do not have the specific tool, so I used a hammer and dolly. Placing the dolly on the flat end (outside of frames) and lightly hammering the crush end of the rivet until it was flat. I used welding clamps to hole the frame in place while I did this.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Got some more done this weekend! I finally installed the new transaxle. Filled with oil and no leaks so far, so that's good.

I can't express enough how good it is to have a torque multiplier. Makes the taking the axle nut on and off simple.

I also bought my paint on Friday. I am going with anthracite. I decided to do the final paint myself. I got BC/CC in PPG. Now I just need to make sure the body work is as perfect as possible and test fit everything before I paint, especially the custom details like this tach. I realized that I will need a backing plate for it and I will have to cut the trim so it fits on either side of the tach.

There is so much to do, but I have given myself tasks to finish each week. I am chipping away...

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Quote:
I am going with anthracite

Fabulous choice!
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Getting close to firing the engine for the first time (On the stand). Not sure how well it will run, but it sure looks good!

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Corney13 wrote:
Getting close to firing the engine for the first time (On the stand). Not sure how well it will run, but it sure looks good!

It looks great and I bet it'll run just as well!

Are those OEM VW D/P cylinder covers?
Did you need to massage them for manifold clearance?
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Beautiful engine! It's literally a carbon copy of how I plan on doing my next VW motor. Looks super sanitary look with dual carbs.

-Silver Vein powder coat on the tins?

-What size engine/carbs are you running?
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
Beautiful engine! It's literally a carbon copy of how I plan on doing my next VW motor. Looks super sanitary look with dual carbs.

-Silver Vein powder coat on the tins?

-What size engine/carbs are you running?

Yes, Silver Vein powder coat. It is a 1915cc with 44 IDFs
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Can I just say I don't understand why carbs are faced so the adjustment screws are nearly impossible to get to - just doesn't make sense to me. Minutes into adjusting my carbs for the first time - with screws that are literally impossible to reach with them in the car and I bought this - https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3267.htm and never looked back. Even if your carbs can't just be turned 180 (like Dells - don't know about others) you can just swap them side to side and it would work. Then all the adjustment screws are accessible and no need for windows.
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

arizonabuckeye wrote:
Can I just say I don't understand why carbs are faced so the adjustment screws are nearly impossible to get to - just doesn't make sense to me. Minutes into adjusting my carbs for the first time - with screws that are literally impossible to reach with them in the car and I bought this - https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/3267.htm and never looked back. Even if your carbs can't just be turned 180 (like Dells - don't know about others) you can just swap them side to side and it would work. Then all the adjustment screws are accessible and no need for windows.

I hear you! I already installed the windows, but it would be nice if they were easier to get to!
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

I wanted to see what the paint would look like on the car, so I gathered up some of the small bits and base/cleared them. I think they cam out good considering I have never done it before! Hoping to have the whole car painted within the next 2 months. I can see the finish line in the distance!

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Looking good man, I was just pulling all those parts out last night, I'll be paint them soon too, forgot about the steering column thing. Cool
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

I took a few days off of work to finally paint the body of my car. Having never bc/cc painted a car before, it was a little bit of trial and error. I learned on when painting the fenders that I need to leave adequate time for the base coat to flash, before adding clear coat, otherwise you will get solvent pop. Spec sheet calls for a minimum of 30 mins. On the fenders I waited 30 mins and then cleared. Bad move. I will have to respray the fenders... Rolling Eyes So when i painted the body, I waited 12 hours. That did the trick, no solvent pop. I issue I had with the body is orange peal. It is heavy in some areas. I will wet sand and buff where I can and may have to respray a panel or two if it is bad enough. I know there are multiple factors in clear orange peel, all of which stem from inexperience. On the good side, I should be able to fix most areas and even though I may go through twice the paint I need, it is still cheaper than having someone paint it!!

I will post some more pictures after it is buffed, but here are a few of my week. As mentioned I base/cleared the car using PPG Omni. For the fender wells and engine bay, I coated with tintable U-Pol Raptor bed liner. I got the anthracite color without binders from the paint supply store and tinted the bedliner to match the paint. The color is dead on, I am happy with that. Much more to come! This car will be done this summer!

Last edited by Corney13 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

looks good from here man!
keep at it!
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Corney13's '63 Beetle Reply with quote

Damn you Photo Bucket!!!

Anyway, here is the latest on my car...

I have painted the body and am in the process of color sanding and buffing. It is tedious work, but makes all the difference. I also started adding the trim. I am getting a little ahead of myself, but i am too excited not to start adding pieces!

I also started to rewire the car. I got the Bug Me video on wiring, and it is very helpful. One note, I would not wrap the harness in duct tape, without first covering the harness in masking tape or something. If you just wrap with duct tape, you will never get all the sticky goo off of your new wires. I first covered the harness in masking tape, length wise, then wrapped in duct tape and pulled through the pillars and roof. It was kind of a pain, but finally got it to pull through. (the additional wires orange, purple and green are for the gauges)

I used CLR and my ultrasonic cleaner to clean the fuse block

Finally I started to connect all the wires. I thing the dash is going to look awesome! So happy so far! All the knobs are billet and gauge pod panel was painted to match the car. I am liking the contrast of Anthracite and polished stainless or aluminum. I have to fabricate the trim on either side of the tach. Might have them C&Ced from a solid piece, then use 3M trim tape to attach. We will see...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: