Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removal of old auto trans mount rubber insert
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Removal of old auto trans mount rubber insert Reply with quote

I just got a new poly auto trans mount and need to get the old rubber out of the metal housing, I sent an email to T3 Technique, but he is on vacation till after next weekend. Does anyone know the easy way to get the old rubber out? Just burn the thing?

Thanks.
John
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread somewhere. You will need a hacksaw and a good chisel or punch. Put the blade through the mount and reinstall in the saw. You need to cut through the outer steel band of the OE mount. Don't cut too deep. Once you have relieved the fit, you should be able to drive it out. Burning/melting won't help since it is incased in steel.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the tube red hot w torch directed in it will half melt it out so you can push it out. Pounding stuff out of bushings can by trying because the rubber absorbs so much of the hit energy. Thats bedt accomplished w a press and its constant pressure. In my younger days i got one hot and shaped a piece of wood such that i dropped the bushing into the wood and drove over it to shove it out. Also works to pull a tire off the rim bead, and many things you want to generate big force.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for a thread and couldn't come up with one, my searching powers are weak. I have a Sawzall and a torch, I just don't relish the thought of having a burning red hot rubber coated steel mount trying to get the rest of the burning rubber off. So I take it that there is an inner ring of steel? When I looked at mine I thought the rubber was vulcanized to the outer ring, will look at it again tomorrow with my reading glasses on.

Thanks
John
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris was real quick in his reply to my email back in September. I'll share it with you here:

The first thing that I do is to use a hacksaw to cut through the metal ring
around the outer perimeter of the rubber mount. You will have to disassemble
the hacksaw, pass the blade through the opening in the mount and reassemble
it. Make sure that you do not cut through the bracket itself, just the thin
metal inner ring.

Once you have that cut, use a hammer and chisel to drive the old mount out
of the bracket.

Installing the new Powerflex mount is super easy. Just push the two halves
into the bracket then install the inner sleeve.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Christopher

I did this job the following way:

-put the trans mount into a bench vise
-assemble a hacksaw so that the blade is in the lumen of the trans mount
-cut away the rubber and cut a groove in the inner bushing shell, being careful to not cut the outer trans mount shell
-cut several grooves in this manner

At this point I had to use a chisel and hammer to start separating the inner shell from the outer shell, with the inner shell giving way (and being destroyed in the process). In my case they were held together by a fair amount of rust.

There is really not enough shoulder on the inner sleeve to press this out with a shop press, and the two metal parts share so much surface area that they are likely to be married by more than just friction--rust.

I did some PBlaster and blowtorch stuff as well, to encourage the divorce, but I doubt it had any real effect.

In the end, it was careful hammering of the chisel which did most of the work. I used the anvil of my bench vise to great effect. The trans mount steel itself was very tough and resilient in the face of the hammering.

Once the old inner shell was removed, I used a wire wheel to clean things up. I probably should have painted the mount, but decided against it. The new bushing slid into place quite neatly and definitely helped solidify the transmission.

I hope this helps.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I needed, it's all clear now.

john
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: