Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drilling holes in roof rain gutters
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerosport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Drilling holes in roof rain gutters Reply with quote

I am contemplating using an 8' x 10' tarp as an awning, by drilling 1/4" holes in the roof rain gutters and anchoring it by using stainless steel carabiners, though the holes in the grommets of the tarp and clipped through the holes in the gutters and aluminum adjustable tarp poles on the other end. This system will allow me to use it on either side and either the 8' or 10' side to the Van. May even be able to use it on the rear as well. I realize drilling the holes in the gutter will be a possible rust spot that I will have to take measures to protect, but wonder if there are any other possible negative effects of drilling holes in the gutter. Maybe water draining down the sides of van when it rains instead of running off the back, but I live in Vegas and we don't get much rain, so no big deal there. Anything else I need to consider, or wondering if anyone else has done something similar that required drilling the gutters. Appreciate any input anyone has. Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

'87 Westy GL - "Stanagon", 2wd WBX 4 speed
15" Rhein alloys, GW 1.5" lift springs & Fox shocks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a Jorgenson spring clamp instead, your van will appreciate it.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my awning is not mounted like that, however, the awning does protrude down into the gutter. this is annoying because often water will pour over the gutter at that point, either from a heavy downpour or by some debris causing a blockage.
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to drill holes.

Here is a link to a thread on thesamba that has a great idea to do what you're looking to do. Scroll down a bit and you'll find a couple good pics.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3890976
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to drill holes.

Here is a link to a thread on thesamba that has a great idea to do what you're looking to do. Scroll down a bit and you'll find a couple good pics.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3890976
Aerosport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Rain gutters Reply with quote

Gee I did searches on rain gutters before posting and nothing came up, didn't think to search on tarp. The reason I thought to drill the holes and use the carabiners was for a nice clean setup with no bulky clamps to keep track of that can possibly come loose. The carabiners can stay attached to the tarp and it still folds up. Some what worried about drilling the 3 holes per side in the gutter, if it will weaken it too much or the seam starts to separate or warp I guess I could put small spot welds on both sides of the holes to strengthen it. Got the nice aluminum adjustable spring loaded tarp poles at Walmart for $ 8.00 each, and nice thing about the plastic tarps are that they have grommets every 24" and the entire setup gives me an 8 x 10 awning for around $25.00

'87 Westy GL - "Stanagon", 2wd WBX 4 speed
15" Rhein alloys, GW 1.5" lift springs & Fox shocks
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere there was a post about hillbilly chandelier hangers. I can't readily find it or the photos.

The idea was to use 3/4 PVC T's with a slot cut on the backside. The slotted T will readily fit over the rain gutter at the rear of the gutter and can be slid forward. For a tarp or sunshade netting, they can be placed between the front and sliding door, behind the sliding door and at the rear and connected together with more T's and PVC pipe. This is a nondestructive approach. I use it for attaching a hanging sunshade with spring clamps, but it may not be suitable for a tarp or strong enough for windy conditions.

Aloha
tp
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, this post is down right clever!

A few cheap vise grips and a welder!
Genius!

rustybutterknife wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just use guy ropes and tent stakes to tension the tarp and trust me these things will hold in supreme winds and heavy rain. I usually put an extending pole in the middle of the tarp creating an apex to encourage run off. If anybody wants some made PM me.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into the go westy gutter clamps. You can use those with your tarp and a piece of pvc and not have to drill any holes.

82 Diesel Westy
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for discussion...

I remember a post about attaching a tarp under the metal channel of the canvas
top - roll it up under the poptop for storage, always ready to roll out for awning...

This? (from page 3 - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=40 )

midmo81 wrote:
Just finished my DIY awning. PVC tube cut in half, hinges, clasps, end caps, poles, homemade brackets, and a little paint to match my camper. Poles roll up in the tarp to travel. All under $50.

Off to the State Park.

Or this...(from page 2 - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=20 )

davevickery wrote:
Not necessarily recommending this, but it was cheap to make. I had a real case awning on my last van, and they are nice but I am going to see how well this does. Tucking the tarp under the poptop attachment rail limits you to a 7' width so it is small, mine is only 5x7 but I could have gone 8x7. It rolls up and tucks under the poptop.

It should be o.k. in the rain. I had a previous tarp that I just bungied to the van and it worked ok and this one is much more taught. It is a waterproof nylon tarp with eyelits in the corners. The tent poles raise up to whatever level you want. I got them from Walmart or Sports Authority for $6-7/ea. Water can't get through the tarp, so one side has to be higher than the other to keep it from pooling. I think I can also raise the front end and let water run back towards the van and into the rain gutter.

It won't stay up in really high wind, but nothing terrible happens, the legs just fall out from under it and it flaps around until you roll it up. After I slid the tarp under the poptop rail, I added a piece of string to tie it up when it is rolled up. It doesn't get in the way of the poptop closing.

The tarp has folded seams at all the edges. I cut a little hole in the fold and slid a fiberglass tent pole into the front edge to make it easier to roll up and also make it more of a rigid front edge. You don't really need it if you just pull the ropes tight. I also just got 2 short pieces of PVC tube and 45 degree elbows on the end to slide into the jack mounts and mount the legs into, like the brackets that real awnings use.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dhaavers"]..........

This? (from page 3 - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=40 )

midmo81 wrote:
Just finished my DIY awning. PVC tube cut in half, hinges, clasps, end caps, poles, homemade brackets, and a little paint to match my camper. Poles roll up in the tarp to travel. All under $50.

]

That looks great! Nicely constructed, doesn't look cobbled up at all.

But why not source a brown, Silver or even a green tarp? Would be so much more visually pleasing than screaming zonkers BLUE.
This of course is only my humble Blue Tarp Hating opinion.

Other than that..... Good Job!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
midmo81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7x9 tarps are only about six bucks. I tried a brown then camo , had the blue one on all summer, but think silver will be next. While these make good fair weather covers, sudden high wind is a panic.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drilled mine on the passenger side in order to install awning track, into which my dining fly's awning rope is inserted. You can see the white track in the rain gutter in this pic, and several of the fasteners holding it in place. Here's the link to my awning install.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bike2vcu/AwningProject#slideshow/5257374425339420306

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: