Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lube on that O ring helps too. Maybe Locktite 518?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Some lube on that O ring helps too. Maybe Locktite 518?

The Bentley specifies graphite. It works well - no issues getting the sender into place.

Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610481&highlight=
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had toyed with installing a new gas tank or not as I'm into year three of non running ownership.

I've done so much renewing of components now that it would be shear foolishness to run my old tank!

The PO has tank vent issues and the fuel tank imploded due to vacuum created by the fuel tank. It would be a hassle to fix the tank due to some of the creases that were formed.

Anyway, just ordered a Spectra from Rock Auto..... $148 shipped.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sjwillis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

ok, well if the Spectra is good enough for djkeev's '86 Westy Weekender, then it's good enough for mine! Smile

Just ordered from Amazon, (free shipping) for $148.

I've put together a little post price comparing different reseal kits from various vendors if anyone is interested:

http://www.alltogetheroutthere.com/vanagon-fuel-tank-reseal-kit-research/

(Basically, if you buy the kit from Rocky Mountain Westy which seems to be the cheapest and offers the most parts, you don't do any better buying the individual parts).
gdmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Giving this post a bump......
Just received my VW3C tank from rockauto. Wondering if you all recommend undercoating, POR-15, or bedliner coating the tank before install? Popcorn
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the tanks that Rockauto sells are compatible with diesel fuel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gdmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
Does anyone know if the tanks that Rockauto sells are compatible with diesel fuel?

I have to say I am very happy with the quality of the Spectra Premium VW3C I received from Rockauto. Price was real good, plus there is always the 5% coupon, and reasonable shipping. In what I've read from others, these are the same tanks sold by the VW parts sites. In shopping for fuel tanks I never read anything about a proprietary tank for gas vs diesel. Maybe a call to Gowesty or VanCafe would answer if fuel type matters?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

So I resealed my gas tank around 3 years ago. If I were to get a replacement tank - would I need a new reseal kit? Or would I be probably okay to transfer it over.
gdmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
So I resealed my gas tank around 3 years ago. If I were to get a replacement tank - would I need a new reseal kit? Or would I be probably okay to transfer it over.

Hmmmm? My advice would be to at least inspect if not replace the rubber grommets, and the same for Fuel Level Sending unit. There is a chance you would be all set there? But you don't want to have to go through the process again for those things. hope that helps
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Bit of an old thread
But I was thinking about changing the tank and had some questions
1. Has anyone used something other than a vanagon tank?
Perhaps something larger?
2. seeing as the tank was designed with the heater duct over the top (which wasnt used on later vans, allowing for additional space) I would think there would be a better replacement?
3. are the tanks in the wheel wells (expansion?) necessary?
if one were to close up the x-over holes would there be a problem?
being that you would still have a vent, fill, supply, return and sender it seems unnecessary
Thnx for any input
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Space, unless you go custom, you are stuck with the Vanagon tank.
You can not eliminate any of the components, cross over tube, expansion tanks.
The only other tank to consider is the unit from South Africa, but very hard to find now, it is larger, as it is longer, but all the concerns you expressed are present on that tank as well.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

I figured as much
Can you explain the reason for the expansion tanks?
I dont have them on my modern cars and they dont appear to be on my 67 datsun
T
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

disregard prev post found my answer
Thnx
VWeGoBeachNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Hey there,!

I got mine 2 years ago from Van Cafe with new sender unit and seals. Haven't had any problems Very Happy
4spd
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Old Post I realize but seems as good a place as any to post on.

The tank I got ended up with the 7mm outlet, it is going in my 86. I had a square pre pump filter AND the post pump steel filter.

The PO had the tank "Por 15 resealed inside" instead of replace so it was SO overdue to chuck it. I wonder how much stuff got plugged in there !

I did notice when I looked in my Square plastic filter that the 7mm outlet had collapsed somewhat, from over tightening the clamp would be my guess, so I'm sure that didn't help cavitation any when tank got low.

So, I will remote the fuel pre filter, keep my post pump filter and use adapter the 7mm to 12mm tank to pump.

I also added my Perko valve on the filler neck to stop the gas puke on over zealous filling practices.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Reviving this one to see if there is a current consensus regarding aftermarket tank quality. I’m in need of a 251201075AH replacement for my ‘89 2WD with the 12mm output.

VanCafe?
GoWesty?
BusLab?
SPECTRA?
Liland Global?

I assume some of these are the same tank.

TIA
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

R0ckyMtnCamper wrote:
Reviving this one to see if there is a current consensus regarding aftermarket tank quality. I’m in need of a 251201075AH replacement for my ‘89 2WD with the 12mm output.

VanCafe?
GoWesty?
BusLab?
SPECTRA?
Liland Global?

I assume some of these are the same tank.

TIA
I bought from Van Cafe in early 2019, don't remember who was the supplier to them then, but as you hinted, could well be the same tank among many sellers of VW parts.
12mm outlet, and the filler neck on my '84 was already plastic, so no worries about fitting the filler neck seal on the side of the tank.
DO check the rest of your tank's system, cross over, vent lines, expansion tanks, etc, and the hose back to the charcoal canister in the back if you're not sure how long ago all those parts last got looked at.
I favored the Aluminum Tee fitting kit from Van Cafe over the stock plastic version since I decided IU was not as likely to crack one installing the vent hoses/cross-over .
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Whichever tank you get, also check the flatness of the flange where the sender goes. Those get bent easily and when you install the NEW sender, it may not seal properly. Make sure your flange is flat and straight or you'll be dropping the tank again to fix the leak.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
DO check the rest of your tank's system, cross over, vent lines, expansion tanks, etc, and the hose back to the charcoal canister in the back if you're not sure how long ago all those parts last got looked at.
I favored the Aluminum Tee fitting kit from Van Cafe over the stock plastic version since I decided IU was not as likely to crack one installing the vent hoses/cross-over .

I’m leaning towards the VanCafe tank; once it comes back in stock.

Yes, I plan on replacing the crossover vent tube with the aluminum kit from VC as you did, as well as a new sending unit. The vent tanks are actually in great shape for their age and the system just passed a full CO emissions test so I’m going to leave those be for now.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Whichever tank you get, also check the flatness of the flange where the sender goes. Those get bent easily and when you install the NEW sender, it may not seal properly. Make sure your flange is flat and straight or you'll be dropping the tank again to fix the leak.

Yes, I’ve seen this is a quite common issue with many (all?) of these aftermarket tanks. I’ll be sure to clean up and straighten the flange. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: