Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

R0Batt wrote:
I need to replace the tank in my 1985 Vanagon 1.9 with the 7mm fuel outlet.

Can/ should I get the replacement with the larger 12mm outlet and just get new fuel line and a new fuel filter?

Also can someone provide the part number for the Spectra tank?

I believe the consensus is to upgrade to the 12mm outlet.

This is the Spectra Tank - VW3C.
R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

I need to replace the tank in my 1985 Vanagon 1.9 with the 7mm fuel outlet.

Can/ should I get the replacement with the larger 12mm outlet and just get new fuel line and a new fuel filter?

Also can someone provide the part number for the Spectra tank?

Charlotte, NC
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

R0ckyMtnCamper wrote:
Wellington wrote:
Stamped right in the steel is "made in Taiwan"

More than half the components in your smart phone were also made in Taiwan.

Taiwan, i.e. Free VChina makes good stuff, the Communist china not so much so. I have some really nice Taiwan special tools, including a very good milling machine. My lathes are American, old school stuff however, as are my welders.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Stamped right in the steel is "made in Taiwan"

More than half the components in your smart phone were also made in Taiwan.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

I ordered and received a Spectra tank.
Stamped right in the steel is "made in Taiwan" but the quality actually seems pretty good surprisingly. It is painted in a very tough grey paint, which I scuffed up to paint it black.
Availability seems to becoming a problem with the Spectra tank, a lot sold out at various places, and those that have, the price was up from not long ago!
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

FYI: As of early 2023 the Van Cafe offering is the Spectra tank.
Andross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Just bought a Spectra tank from RA,

Here's my findings on some the current offerings if you are in Canada, maybe this is helpful for someone:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

Permatex also makes "Permashield" gas resistant NON-hardening sealant which seems less appropriate as the hardening aspect is an advantage to keeping the grommet in place.

Almost a year ago I used this stuff and it has worked great so far.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
I'm going to change my gas tank,
Offerings are Spectra Premium, or JP group

Opinions on the better unit?

I ended up putting a Spectra Premium one in. No problems with it. I didn't have to mess with the tangs for the sending unit flange or anything. It's been in for about a year without issue.

In general, I avoid anything from JP like the plague.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

I'm going to change my gas tank,
Offerings are Spectra Premium, or JP group

Opinions on the better unit?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Just dropped mine today because of the fumes after filling up. This is a CaliforThe grommets on the vent tanks seem good. I will order the reseal kit anyway. Maybe the rubber is more dried out than appears.

clean the OE grommets and squoosh them around and look for cracks. the rubber, as old as it is, may be better than the new grommets. but they gotta be clean to seal and i added Permatex Motoseal between the grommets and tank metal. once setup, it keeps things sealed tighter of course but also prevents the grommet from pushing into the tank when inserting the barb or filler.

Permatex also makes "Permashield" gas resistant NON-hardening sealant which seems less appropriate as the hardening aspect is an advantage to keeping the grommet in place.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jayman37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Just dropped mine today because of the fumes after filling up. This is a California van, so the tank is in very good shape, no rust inside. I was prepared to buy a new tank, but I think I won't now. The vent hoses are braided, which preumably is factory. The crossover was in one piece, but I think the grommets wern't seated (?) and the fuel sender O-ring was definitely cracked. The grommets on the vent tanks seem good. I will order the reseal kit anyway. Maybe the rubber is more dried out than appears.

Just make sure that silver patch area isn't covering a mini hole like mine had. 2 small razor like grooves that leaked through when I did the neutralizing.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Just dropped mine today because of the fumes after filling up. This is a California van, so the tank is in very good shape, no rust inside. I was prepared to buy a new tank, but I think I won't now. The vent hoses are braided, which preumably is factory. The crossover was in one piece, but I think the grommets wern't seated (?) and the fuel sender O-ring was definitely cracked. The grommets on the vent tanks seem good. I will order the reseal kit anyway. Maybe the rubber is more dried out than appears.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

revolution337 wrote:
I got my tank from CIP1 a few months back. I believe it is a JP Dansk Group tank. It has a very nice black paint finish. It appears much better quality than the original Spectre tank that I ordered, and had to immediately send back due to poor quality.

I believe this is the one that VanCafe sells but I could be wrong.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

I got my tank from CIP1 a few months back. I believe it is a JP Dansk Group tank. It has a very nice black paint finish. It appears much better quality than the original Spectre tank that I ordered, and had to immediately send back due to poor quality.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

I got a Spectre tank for my '86 off Amazon back in 2018. Haven't had issues with the tank itself. I did have the fuel filler neck grommet fail prematurely, but that was from another vendor, not included with the tank.

So far the tank seems to be holding up fine, and when I've had to drain gas out of it what comes out is pretty clean, no rust or particles. I did add an extra layer of spray paint to the exterior surfaces.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

R0ckyMtnCamper wrote:
Reviving this one to see if there is a current consensus regarding aftermarket tank quality. I’m in need of a 251201075AH replacement for my ‘89 2WD with the 12mm output.

VanCafe?
GoWesty?
BusLab?
SPECTRA?
Liland Global?

I assume some of these are the same tank.

TIA

i bought mine from this place

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371557315659?epid=16021382138&hash=item56828ab44b:g:BssAAOSwt8piW2Pa

it was 99 bux with free shipping under the last administration. just make sure you get the one you want, the one with the 12mm outlet. that is what i put in my 84

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Whichever tank you get, also check the flatness of the flange where the sender goes. Those get bent easily and when you install the NEW sender, it may not seal properly. Make sure your flange is flat and straight or you'll be dropping the tank again to fix the leak.

Yes, I’ve seen this is a quite common issue with many (all?) of these aftermarket tanks. I’ll be sure to clean up and straighten the flange. Thanks!
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
DO check the rest of your tank's system, cross over, vent lines, expansion tanks, etc, and the hose back to the charcoal canister in the back if you're not sure how long ago all those parts last got looked at.
I favored the Aluminum Tee fitting kit from Van Cafe over the stock plastic version since I decided IU was not as likely to crack one installing the vent hoses/cross-over .

I’m leaning towards the VanCafe tank; once it comes back in stock.

Yes, I plan on replacing the crossover vent tube with the aluminum kit from VC as you did, as well as a new sending unit. The vent tanks are actually in great shape for their age and the system just passed a full CO emissions test so I’m going to leave those be for now.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Fuel Tanks- Experiences? Opinions? Reply with quote

Whichever tank you get, also check the flatness of the flange where the sender goes. Those get bent easily and when you install the NEW sender, it may not seal properly. Make sure your flange is flat and straight or you'll be dropping the tank again to fix the leak.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: