Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire advice wanted for 16" GoWesty wheels on an 87 Full Westy?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guzyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Tire advice wanted for 16" GoWesty wheels on an 87 Full Westy? Reply with quote

Previous owner installed 16" alloy wheels with 215/65R16 Goodyear Assurance Tires. Tires are around 10 years old and cracking.

What would you replace them with in 2023 if this was your camper?
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire advice wanted for 16" GoWesty wheels on an 87 Full Westy? Reply with quote

These Falken Widlpeaks in 215/65-16's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSQVX8B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
gryffon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire advice wanted for 16" GoWesty wheels on an 87 Full Westy? Reply with quote

Just installed Sumitomo HTR A/S P03 215/60R16 on my 1989 Westy full camper. Replaced Nokian Entyres that had bad cracking in same size. Took it for a cruise yesterday and really like the ride. Quieter and smoother ride than the Nokians.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire advice wanted for 16" GoWesty wheels on an 87 Full Westy? Reply with quote

I just put on BFG AT.....again. I looked at so many tires, but I always come back to BFG. If you're doing any kind of dirt road or gravel driving, that's what I'd use. I don't drive in the snow so that wasn't a consideration for me. I think if your going to be driving n the snow, a dedicated winter tire is what I'd switch to seasonally.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tire advice wanted for 16" GoWesty wheels on an 87 Full Westy? Reply with quote

Choose a tire that is readily available anywhere.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire advice wanted for 16" GoWesty wheels on an 87 Full Westy? Reply with quote

Stock engine? Planning to run separate snow tires in the winter? Your current tires are over an inch wider and taller than what was originally on your Vanagon. Your choice should be based on your driving needs and engine capability.
airshipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire advice wanted for 16" GoWesty wheels on an 87 Full Westy? Reply with quote

I'm running the 215/55/16 XL load-rated Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires, I used to run the 215/60/16 older Assurance TripleTred's. Both of those sizes are closer to stock tire height. My pop top would lightly touch the top of my garage door with those as I pulled in. I'd go shorter, especially if you have a stock engine or auto transmission. There aren't too many decent options from the winged foot brand for our Vanagons, but if you are going to go to that route, DM me for a discount code. I also carry a full-sized spare with the Van Cafe carrier.

Although if you are happy with the 215/65/16 size, a lot of people like the BFG KO2's (great off-road and excellent D load rating, but expensive) or Yokohama Geolanders. The Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires (98 load rating) are also available in that size, but I'd go with the 215/55's, especially if most of your driving is on the road. If you do a decent amount of off-roading, I'd go with the taller BFG's.
Matt Edick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire advice wanted for 16" GoWesty wheels on an 87 Full Westy? Reply with quote

Kumho Crudgen HT51 215/65/R16 is XL rated. Been happy so far. Good pricing.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire advice wanted for 16" GoWesty wheels on an 87 Full Westy? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I just put on BFG AT.....again. I looked at so many tires, but I always come back to BFG. If you're doing any kind of dirt road or gravel driving, that's what I'd use. I don't drive in the snow so that wasn't a consideration for me. I think if your going to be driving n the snow, a dedicated winter tire is what I'd switch to seasonally.

Exactly my take.

I was quoted $1,670-something for four mounted and balanced last May, size 215/65-16, D-rated.

Instead, I paid $1,004 delivered to Lander, Wyoming from TireRack.com, and $100 for local mounting and balancing.

Carter is an excellent Rep, (888) 727-8092 ext. 4661. He’ll remember me from re-naming him “Karter,” as in go-karting.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: