Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

I'm looking into getting a wave 2 for the coming summer.

My thought is to use it while driving by sectioning off the front of the cab and cooling just that area and then use it at night for sleeping.

Venting of the air from the condenser side will be through the side window.

I also have solar and 200Ah batteries to supplement the included battery. Thinking of charging from that or the alternator while driving.

I'm in TX so it has to work in 100 degree weather.

Anyone have one of these? It's a 5200btu unit. I think it can work but not sure.

https://www.ecoflow.com/us/wave-2-portable-air-conditioner
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow wave or wave 2? Reply with quote

We have a 5000 btu window unit for camping. It does a nice job of cooling the van at night. Not so much in direct sunlight. We also have a vintage air dash unit. I don’t know the rating, but it’s small compared to the factory air AC. It direct sunlight it really only cools the front passengers. Cloudy day, rain, or night it will freeze you out.

Every year this comes up and every year we get closer. I watched a van life video where the owner installed a 12 volt mini split in a sprinter type van. No idea of the battery pack required.

If the unit you linked has to exhaust heat out of the van, ambient air will need to replace it. Not ideal for cooling in hot climates.
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

We purchased the EcoFlow Wave 2 last summer; used it on our 'round the country trip last October. Really nice little unit; definitely glad I purchased the bundle (unit & battery). I also purchased an extra set of venting tubes - the extra set are 8' long (vs. the 5' long tubes that come with the unit), which allowed us to use the unit while driving down the road. We used 3 tubes while driving - two venting in/out the window, one blowing cold air into the cab. Hanging curtains behind the front seats helped keep the cool air up front for sure.

We used it a couple of times for heat as well, but the primary reason we purchased it was to keep our doggie cool in the warmer temperatures. While driving, it was fine up to about 85 degrees, but when we hit 95 degrees in the afternoon in Arizona, the unit could not keep up sufficiently to keep our doggie cool. Hubby and I could have handled it just fine, but doggie not so much. Parked over night we turned the unit off once the camper cooled down - otherwise it just got too cold!

Overall we are very happy with the unit; no regrets. I can post pictures if you are interested.

~ Judy
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

They are tempting. But considering there are 5! of them for sale locally I'm guessing they don't live up to expectations. I might look into buying one of those used one though.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

VeeDubn wrote:
We purchased the EcoFlow Wave 2 last summer; used it on our 'round the country trip last October. Really nice little unit; definitely glad I purchased the bundle (unit & battery). I also purchased an extra set of venting tubes - the extra set are 8' long (vs. the 5' long tubes that come with the unit), which allowed us to use the unit while driving down the road. We used 3 tubes while driving - two venting in/out the window, one blowing cold air into the cab. Hanging curtains behind the front seats helped keep the cool air up front for sure.

We used it a couple of times for heat as well, but the primary reason we purchased it was to keep our doggie cool in the warmer temperatures. While driving, it was fine up to about 85 degrees, but when we hit 95 degrees in the afternoon in Arizona, the unit could not keep up sufficiently to keep our doggie cool. Hubby and I could have handled it just fine, but doggie not so much. Parked over night we turned the unit off once the camper cooled down - otherwise it just got too cold!

Overall we are very happy with the unit; no regrets. I can post pictures if you are interested.

~ Judy

Does it fit between the front seats?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

20 x 16 x 12 inches

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

Does it fit between the front seats?[/quote]

Fits perfectly. We built a bench seat for our doggie; EcoFlow sets on the bench seat just fine. Fits on the floor as well. Hubby built an insert for the front passenger window for the venting tubes when we are parked. We installed the insert that came with the unit on the side window to use while driving. Having a third tube allows us to direct the flow of air. While driving we extend the venting tube and hang it from the pop-top latch to have it point into the cab. We now have a smaller tray for the draining tube, but because of the internal draining system we haven't had any draining into the tray.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

VeeDubn wrote:
Does it fit between the front seats?

Fits perfectly. We built a bench seat for our doggie; EcoFlow sets on the bench seat just fine. Fits on the floor as well. Hubby built an insert for the front passenger window for the venting tubes when we are parked. We installed the insert that came with the unit on the side window to use while driving. Having a third tube allows us to direct the flow of air. While driving we extend the venting tube and hang it from the pop-top latch to have it point into the cab. We now have a smaller tray for the draining tube, but because of the internal draining system we haven't had any draining into the tray.

[/quote]

Perfect. That's what I was thinking of doing.

How well does the battery hold if you are also charging it while driving?
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

[/quote] Perfect. That's what I was thinking of doing. How well does the battery hold if you are also charging it while driving?[/quote]

The battery charges being plugged in to shore power, a vehicle "cigarette lighter," or 400W solar. We only have 100W solar, and no "cigarette lighter," but we can plug into our inverter while driving, and shore power when parked.

As I recall from last year, we comfortably got a good 6 hours from the battery; probably a bit more. We were plugged in to our inverter, but our alternator (unbeknownst to us until the last day of vacation!) was not operating at full power. Nonetheless, we were able to charge the battery to some extent while using it at the same time, which did extend the usage time. We did recharge the battery with shore power each night.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

I've managed to grab a unit locally with the battery.

A quick test to see how it will fit in the van. I will definitely have to separate the front from the back while driving and insulate everything the best way possible.

zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

Working on designing vents for the EcoFlow. These will be attached to the panels that will go on the window.

VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
Working on designing vents for the EcoFlow. These will be attached to the panels that will go on the window.

Which window? Front passenger? or driver side slider?
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

Finished my vent design. One big vent. One small vent.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6469378

VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:

Looking forward to a picture of them installed!
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

VeeDubn wrote:
zoti wrote:

Looking forward to a picture of them installed!

I'm printing them now. Need to design the part that goes on the window itself.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
Very Cool- I envy your skills.. or, congrats to your Printer.... Razz Razz Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:

Nicely done! Thank you for posting the pics . . .
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here using EcoFlow Wave or Wave 2? Reply with quote

The files are available on Thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6469378
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: