Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoconina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

your seat cover are very clean compared to my

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579892

https://www.facebook.com/campervanstories
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Apparently when you cover them up forever, they stay really nice Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Thanks! Apparently when you cover them up forever, they stay really nice Smile

Barb's Grandma's 1950 Chevy had seat covers on it from day one. When it was sold out of the family in the mid-1990s the upholstery was still like new.
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Vinegar is better for cleaning without the corrosion and fabric rotting affects of bleach.

More than likely you need to clean, use dielectric grease, and tighten back down each connection. Have over 50 year old wiring in our VWs and works just fine with everything clean and tight, even with only 6 volt electrical systems.
Do BOTH ends of BOTH battery cables and get new ones if any doubt about them. Do same with transaxle to body ground cable.

Stewart is definitely the restorer. My starter was struggling until I cleaned and ultimately replaced the tranny ground with a big copper wire, wielding wire probably 6 gauge, insulated the wire, cleaned the connecting stops and applied dielectric grease. Then, replaced the connectors on the wires coming to the starter. VRRROOOOM..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planning on a dual battery setup eventually, will most likely replace all battery and starter cables and ground straps then, with clean connections. i like knowing my system is charging and starting at max potential...just not something ill be doing right away.

just got word i have a front and slider cutain on the way, along with a few other parts! Very Happy Hes coming together! Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

throwing a party to get fuel lines and my heater done. maybe some new parts will show up in the mail this week Pray

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7539094#7539094

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally ran out of gas tonight for the fuel line replacement on saturday....put in a gallon on the side of the rainy freeway, go to start it back up, and the batterys dead! ...or so i thought.

After calling mom for a jump at 12:30 am, i tried it again, and it started right up! Seems that hot start bandaid is failing miserably. Something else to fix saturday i guess. Praying for minimal rain that day....

On the plus side, reconnected the heater cables, and didnt freeze driving it for an hour tonight to a meeting and back home. The floor was freshly vacuumed and is now filthy, but whatever. Going to pull the heater tubes off, clean them out, then put a 1 inch layer of fresh gound coffee in the paper part to freshen the smell for a while.

Also gotta go through the dash levers and learn what each does and find out what works. Need to clean dash vent tubes as well.

Updates coming after saturday! Got lots planned now to do!

Got mirrors and a couple curtains, then noticed im missing the aluminum curtain rod over the slider door too....ill find one soon i hope Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more updates with only one pic....

changed the oil finally Exclamation Exclamation

only put about 750 miles on it since i started it up....Rolling Eyes figured it was time.

used some fresh Schaffers 30w oil, as i have found in all three of my dubs, they love 30w for some reason. 20w-50 just wont do it for them. trust me i tried all different kinds. plus this schaffers has a ton of ZINC in it Very Happy

also finally bit the bullet ad cut out my only runnability issue and spliced the wires. was hoping for a cleaner repair, but since i didnt take an after pic, you wont get to see it Razz

here is what was causing an intermittent miss and death....

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

Just got some more work done...been a bit...

Fresh battery cables tightly clamped down
New dryer vent hoses for heater ducting, the pee smell from the rats is finally gone!!! Smile

Pulled the fuel tank and replaced all the vapor lines, haven't got a chance to top it off yet to see if this will result in no leaks, but anything will be better then before....every time I topped off it dropped a couple cups of gas out the top after the pump shut off...very annoying, and couldn't test mpg.

Also removed an aftermarket alarm from in the front behind the grill, so I have that to look forward to as I tear into other things.

Got a set of alloy wheels on it, not sure if I said that yet or not, stock carat wheels.

Took out the radio and disabling the alarm helped solve a constantly draining battery.

Still need to seal up the fresh air intake vents in the dash as it leaks in cold air as I drive, but the heat sorta works too so it's not that bad.

Going to look up what led lights work best in the tail lights, as they are almost darker then my 78 tails and it's tough to see in the dark and rainy weather.

Suggestions?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

Also have a ton of new pics of it Wink I'll post later

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Got a set of alloyz...

Yes! Now Lemme see!!

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Still need to seal up the fresh air intake vents in the dash as it leaks in cold air as I drive, but the heat sorta works too so it's not that bad.

Yup, thats where I'm at. Winterizing and plugging the leaky spots. Git-r-done!

now where's them alloyz at?

Follow my adventures in the GoWAND'RLoST bus on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/gowandrlost/
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

Before and after a wax...need to get to that again when it warms up and drys out, shes getting dull again....

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

last one for now...my phone pics arent uploading very well...Sad but at least i can finally upload from my phone! Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

Looks awesome! Get a lot of use from it this summer?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

Been regularly using it for adventures at least once a month or so. Nearly time for its second oil change!Smile

Dad daily drove it for a couple months so it's been pretty reliable for the most part Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

Hey all!

got bored and took that van out for a spin in the snow last night....left my place around 11:30 and headed up mountain loop highway. found snow at about 12:10, does that still count as a white Christmas? Razz

somehow I cought up to a bunch of 4x4 guys going 25mph....kind of slow for my tastes so on the first straight away, I passed them with the help of a slightly downhill, then it started going up hill before I got passed the final and 4th car.....long story short....I made it 80

wide open road for a while Smile

after coming across some redneck teenagers all completely drunk at the end of the road with a bonfire (it was still Christmas) and laughing my butt off at some of the stupid things they kept doing, I started to head back down the road to start finding a turn off to camp at. first turn off I find all the 4x4s I passed earlier playing in the parking lot. made friends with them, and offered my services as an entertainer, and took 3 solid runs at the road, which had a couple of snow bumps from a plow, to try and get to the smooth part on the other side....but the van was too low and the snow to soft to ride on top of, but to hard to plow through. see video below Wink

Link

got tugged out 3 or 4 times then went on my way and found a place to camp...

where I proceeded to get totally buried for the next two hours between the hours of 2 and 4:30 am. Rolling Eyes

woke up in the middle of the road with a jeep trying to get around me at 10:30 am. happily moved out of his way and then hung out with the two 4x4s as they tried to get up the hill behind me, then we all took off and headed our separate ways.

I really gotta get my bus back on the road with some grabber at/2s on it...Shocked

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

Much to tell...

New windshield seal
New heater tubes with insulation
Freshly secured and well working heater components
Cleaned out all moisture and mold again and waiting to see if it leaks. Been getting 15 mpg lately and I've been using it regularly for work the past few weeks too.
Fixed clock light too

Anyone have a source for heater cables on these? I need some new ones. Also need to resell the dash vent systems as they all mix and leak into each other...hot and colt air one from all sorts of places...Rolling Eyes

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon Reply with quote

Corkey has been my daily the last few weeks....which led to this accidental unplanned awesome shot at the beach tonight:

syncrobutter in the middle in his new to him 86 syncro westy! Way cool!!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: