Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corkey! The 1980 Westfalia Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find. Looking at the one picture it has center vents where the radio should go. That would indicate it had dealer air at one time, but I don't see the compressor in the engine compartment shots.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it had AC, they bypassed it, but the fans still work!

Getting started:
Link

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempt 2!

Getting started 2:

Link

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running!:

Link

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got more pics and video but have to upload them later. ...

This thing looks Like it drove out of a lake! Shocked

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha! Good work Stewart!! I particularly like the part where you scream like a girl when the westy stove top comes crashing down. Laughing

Follow my adventures in the GoWAND'RLoST bus on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/gowandrlost/
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
This thing looks Like it drove out of a lake! Shocked

Ha, I was thinking the same thing! Maybe you should dub it (or even V-dub it) the Lake Monster Laughing

I would have screamed like a girl too with all those dead rats around. I'd go full on respirator and thick rubber gloves when you start cleaning that bad boy. Any hantavirus in your neck of the woods??? Shocked
Volkska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations my man! Sounds like it is going into good hands Brown Vanagon
1986 Honda Elitee 150 awaiting a title
yoconina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good rescue Smile i like this color for the vanagon it is cool this west will be abble to driven again

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579892

https://www.facebook.com/campervanstories
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score - don't forget to pay that one forward too...
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Updates!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

YUCK!

Two days ago, I drove the van out to west Seattle, knowing good and well the tabs were expired, the valve covers leak, and I had zero proven reliability with the engine. Well, it went pretty well I would say. My plates off the 78 fit perfectly on the back, and on the way I grabbed registration for it, and have new plates coming for it now Cool the valve covers helped me rust proof the back and sides of my van...but now they are not leaking so bad. The new gaskets both leaked right off the bat, so I had to pop them off, nice n hot mind you, and reseat the gaskets. The driver’s side still seeps a tiny bit, but so little I’m not worried about it. Ill reseal with some silicone when I do the push rod tube gaskets next time around.

Here’s the old gasket that leaked:

Here’s the inside of the head:

Does anyone still doubt the low mileage engine? I don’t anymore. Shocked

The day after I got it running, I drove it out to Monroe to my buddies place to pressure wash it....here are the before and during pics:

unfortunately my helper thinks hes a professional photographer...Rolling Eyes didn't get a single full body shot at all while it was light out, and I didn't finish till it was too dark for more pics...

there's more in the gallery, but i want to move on to the fun stuff! Very Happy

Today, well, yesterday I guess, I got to work getting this thing clean! MAN it was DIRTY! Here are a few before pics:

Found the squareback had a flat this morning...took it by les Schwab on my way to get some bleach and a spray bottle, picked it up and reinstalled. Whole trip to 15 minutes, tire and bleach included. Nice bonus about live in downtown Everett...Smile

I took the rear cushion out and started to take the cover off, and then noticed there was not just foam under it.....but another cover! I got a little excited when I noticed the tag on the fabric:

Its currently been washed and dried out, and is nice n clean Smile

I had some fun with the shelving in the van, a few of the laminates were peeling, and since I was able to get them out, I cleaned them and pulling out the iron and remelted all the glue and it all laid right back down flat Cool took some trial and error, but I feel like I’m picking up the small tricks like this one step at a time. Very Happy

Here are a few after pictures. Note the top pics before and after mold:

Interior plans have now been mostly worked out, as I investigated further; I was able to determine that the back seat just has a cover over the seat with original fabric on it, while the front seats were recovered. Since I hate the early seats anyways, and I want armrests, I am going to source out a set of brown seats just like the ones in my bay, with armrests, and use those for fronts, and uncover the back seat and run the original brown plaid stripe-y design in the back. I think it should come out quite nice don’t you? The rest of the interior shows signs of having been removed at one point to cover most of the interior panels in a form of fabric that kind of matches. The curtains also matched, but also had matching rat pee and gunk on them, so those are gone and in the trash already. Shocked

Cleaned up the dash with bleach. Sprayed and wiped 4 times and each time came back with a black paper towel. Steering wheel took more then 6, I stopped before it came clean because I ran out of daylight. Shocked took the speedo cover off, and cleaned under it, and cleaned the cover. Found a gas cap key (wasted 15 bucks for a copy...) in the ashtray. The original VW gas cap was in the glove box...very cool. Has a much better handle, but needs a key also, so not going to use it yet. I’ll get a key for it later. Smile adjusted the E brake boot so it was clean and sat under the carpet properly.

I did also find these in the side cabinet:

3 sets have a single snap in the middle, and one set has a two snap in the middle. I think I am missing the sliding door and front window covers, and I suspect the rear window has the double snaps. The rest should all be the same, right? I would love to find stock original matching curtains if anyone’s got any....

Also picked up a set of CARAT alloy rims, and will be testing out those here soon when I do my brake inspection to see if I like the look or not on this van. if I don’t like them on this, ill test them out on my bus next, and I highly suspect they would stay on there till I manage to bend one offroading...Cool got the proper lug nuts too. Smile
Here is a test fit:

When I took that wheel off, I found this Shocked

fuel lines asap before another top off....

I’m getting my spare back from a friend tomorrow, so that will be going up under the nose and stopping the "rattle" the lady said was the other issue besides the muffler. Happy about getting the noise gone, and happy to have a spare Shocked (EDIT: didnt get my spare back, but put a tire into the clam shell holder. the rattle is still there, louder even. suspect loose AC hoses rattling behind the grille, but haven't verified yet)

Installed H4 headlights Cool love them already, as usual. Need to get a set ordered up for the square soon....

There’s so much room behind the grille I can’t decide what I want to stash behind it....LED light bar? South African Quad rounds, and a LED bar? The downward slope of the grille slats is bumming me out for the LED bar, but still thinking about it.

Got one tail light that the wiring to it is finicky, and one license plate light bulb that is out, but otherwise all other lights work.

Need to tighten up the side mirrors, replace drivers mirror, passenger also if I can find a better one. (edit since typing this up...) broke the nut of the drivers side mirror attempting to tighten it. It was a cheap repop, but now I REALLY gotta find a mirror to drive it safely anywhere. Passenger side stays up now though Smile

Got new pop top seals, but the package didn’t come with a luggage rack seal, so going to have to order one shortly... Evil or Very Mad didn’t install yet.

Got to get the radio console screwed down, then decide what we will run for a radio (Bluetooth likely) and a pair of front speakers if new head unit is decided on. Trying to decide best place to mount the CB radio, thinking about right next to the radio, but didn’t get a lot of time to test fit, and need to look it over some more. Got to find a place that’s not likely to get kicked.

Need to rewash the rear of the van and the engine to get the quart of missing oil off of it, then reassess where leaks are coming from and go from there. Noted a hot start relay behind the starter. Not a fan of its location, but should be okay for now. speaking of starter, the neutral safety switch is super finicky in park....nearly every time I go to start it I have to turn the key, and when it does nothing, I got to smack the shifter into park (already there) to make it turn over. Annoying, hoping it’s just a clean and adjust sort of thing, but haven’t looked yet. Any comments here?

Still need to get pics of the outside after I cleaned it, probably will do that today and post later. Rust has been found! Front bumper, middle left window sill, and right rear seam where the battery would sit on a bay window. Other than that it’s been resprayed at some point, the pop top was redone likely, and the front zipper on the pop top is broken. I think it’s good enough the tent will likely last through the year, and I'll replace it next winter in a warm garage, or this summer if I get the time and money to at the same time (if it’s not being enjoyed already Very Happy )

What’s the deal under the sink? I got a few questions here....

What’s the 6 plug wires harness go to? (I suspect fridge off to the left, but didn’t mess with it, and couldn’t see...would explain it not working...)

Is this the stock pump, and is this how it’s supposed to be wired up? I tested the sink, and managed to get it to pump its own water so it does work, and I also found out the sink has water in the tank...don’t want to know how dirty that is....bleh. But I would love to have the stock wiring set up. Whoever did this restoration custom thing hacked a few wires and I would like to correct their incompetence. Take for example...the reading lights. Turn one on, it’s okay, and turn the other on and both are dim. Someone doesn’t know what power and ground, series and parallel means. Rolling Eyes so I got to find and fix that issue. And I hate those lights anyways...ugly looking and not that bright. Would much rather find some low profile LED ones that are more efficient. Also don’t like the side light over the sink, as I’m fairly sure that the stock one is florescent (yes?) and this one is not. Wouldn’t mind finding a LED alternative to this one as well....I like my battery life. Wink

STRONGLY going to upgrade the battery to dual, with a second battery jumping option. Being an automatic, it’s a pain to push start, and being an idiot, I set the battery charger on the back deck this morning, turned the radio on, for the whole day.... then had to jump the van at 6 to get to dinner with some friends. could’ve charged it all day while listening to the tunes...but no...Rolling Eyes...so its charging tonight, but talk about a van that wont charge itself back up, and doesn’t like to take jump starts! Starter absolutely refuses to spin over quickly....even with a new and fully charged battery and a jump...it’s terrible. And until I figure out the misfire, it’s a gamble on if it starts or not, as the misfire keeps it from starting occasionally too. So that makes it even more of a pain.

How likely is the starter wire being old going to make the starter act like molasses? And is there a better starter I can get that’s like a high torque faster spinning starter? I like fast starters....

between this vanagon (half a gallon of bleach) and my squareback (one spray bottle of 2:1 solution of bleach) I managed to get REALLY high on Chlorine gas....took nearly 3 days to wear off...talk about some seriously laid back times! Shocked the guys I went camping with this weekend couldnt figure out why I was so relaxed and sitting still....

Thanks all I can think of for now. Hope you enjoyed reading!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I have already visually inspected, and jiggled all the LIQUID carrying fuel lines for leaks, and the pictured one is a vapor line only, so no immediate fire danger, but i have two extinguishers inside it just in case, so no worries. Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinegar is better for cleaning without the corrosion and fabric rotting affects of bleach.

More than likely you need to clean, use dielectric grease, and tighten back down each connection. Have over 50 year old wiring in our VWs and works just fine with everything clean and tight, even with only 6 volt electrical systems.
Do BOTH ends of BOTH battery cables and get new ones if any doubt about them. Do same with transaxle to body ground cable.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart,

You've been busy. And I noticed the new signature line..... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Stuart,

You've been busy. And I noticed the new signature line..... Very Happy

Thanks!

Yeah, decided to start building myself up, starting with my nickname. Wink

Ill try vinegar on my 78 next...its super moldy right now for some reason.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
77 Riviera Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stuart the Restorer". I like it. Keep it up Stuart. The folks you got that Vanagon from are going to want it back after you're finished with it.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

77 Riviera Owner wrote:
"Stuart the Restorer". I like it. Keep it up Stuart. The folks you got that Vanagon from are going to want it back after you're finished with it.

Thanks mark Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some cross polinization going on here. I drove a '71 bay for 22 years as my DD and now am into the Vanagon world. Welcome to the slippery slope. Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
yoconina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job !!! Razz i love your car park

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579892

https://www.facebook.com/campervanstories
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went on a small adventure today with mom and dad. first time they have gotten to be in the van for a real drive Smile went about 60 miles round trip to go see a house they are looking at in Burlington. here is the barn on the lot:

also got some small things done to it.....

Reinstalled the upper bed cusions, and removed the rear seat covers...Very Happy

heres the before....

dad taking the big seat cover off...

and the finished product!

(foam still wet on the bed, so gotta dry it out before installing the cover again)

took it back by the PO's place and took her and her son for a ride. She really enjoyed it. Smile

next up is fuel lines, pop top seals (causing the rattle at freeway speeds, have video proof) and the heater Smile

also need a rear hatch seal, and to get the front plate off (its rusted on there...) wont need a new front plate either, since im running collector plates Smile

I also put the black wheels and tires and hubcaps from Sticky, the 72, on this van while i swap around the tread and the alloy rims and such. thy look good, but not the look im going for Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: