Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need measurements from a bus with dual webers
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Need measurements from a bus with dual webers Reply with quote

I am installing a BN4 in my walkthrough. At some point in the future I intend to build a larger engine with dual 40 or 44 IDFs, and I don't want to encounter interference between the dual carbs/aircleaners and the gas heater. To that end, I am trying to figure out what modifications to make now that will allow the heater to be installed further to the left than would normally be possible. I need to know how far to the left it needs to go to clear the carbs, and how much room I will have at the discharge end of the heater to fabricate offset ducting that will redirect the hot air back into the space between the gas tank and the wheelwell.

Before anyone gets out their flamethrower, I wish to point out that the PO had already cut out the spare tire well to install a generator 30 years ago, so I am not going to be butchering anything.

I was wondering if anybody knows someone in the Portland area whose bus has dual webers on it, or if someone NOT in the Portland area whose bus has dual 44s on it would mind taking a couple measurements for me.

I need to know the clearance in inches between the vertical support and the side of the air cleaner., and the clearance between the wheelwell and the side of the left carb. I need to know the distance from the FRONT of the carb to the gas tank as well.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate saying this since it isn't a stock application but ... Very Happy

I'm wondering if you rotated the back half of the heater 180 deg if that wouldn't give you the clearance you needed and keep it in the same area.

You would have to cut out a new hole for the temp switch but it might work? I'm trying to picture the walkthrough rear area...

Do you know what I mean?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean, I do know what you mean and I don't think that is going to give enough room because the wheel well prevents any movement of the heater to the left, unless the vertical support is also cut out and the heater moved up and to the left, and then the duct redirected back down. Check this pic out. This is rizzag's westy with dual kads and round aircleaners. Imagine an imaginary line straight rearward from the near side of the gas tank...no way.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Even if I can get the heater into position, the heat outlet still has to come out in the regular cutout area, as the Z bed interferes everywhere else--such as atop the wheelwell which would be the straightest path.

I am sure I have the skills to fabricate an installation that looks as if it could have been factory but I have to start with these measurements.

Anyone in Seattle area have a bus with dual webers that might be taking it to Puyallup in March? I could bring the heater along...
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey major, my bus came with a stewart warner gas heater(im not big into gas heaters so im not sure what style the BN4 is) but one of the main reasons i removed it and shaved alll the holes for it was there was no way in hell my dual carbs were going to fit with it there.

even if you do find a way to get it to barely clear, think about how big a pain it will be adjusting dual webers, it would be impossible on the driverside carb. you couldnt get to the mixture screws or the idle jets.

i really like the dash mouted early bus gas heater, that would be the solution to all problems if you could find one.
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and damn you posting pics of my bus... all the memories come rushing back! Crying or Very sad
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure how much was removed for the generator. It looks like your best bet is a SW unless you want to move it inside.

BTW, My 1914 looked just like Rizzags!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 67 walk-thru with Kads that I can measure for you if that will help---Bill
biggraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can fit it, I've a SW heater that because of dual carbs is still stored in a plastic box,I'll need to check the serial number to see if it's an elusive front mount!
I really dig my Webers, but It'd be nice to fit a gas heater after moving to Bend!
My Bus is still in Santa Cruz, or I'd already have measured it for you!
Best of luck Chris
Graham
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6d6vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MW, is there any particular reason that your not going with a front mount? hard to find, already had the BN4 or other reasons?
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't go with the front mount because I don't like the looks of a big hunk of mechanical shit in front of the passenger's knees. On the BN4 the price was right, it was 12v, and it worked.

I think I can fit it.

Sorry Jeff for using your bus as an illustration. You shouldn't have sold that bad boy. I was looking forward to going camping with you. Now you'll have to bring your bug instead!

Empicollector, I would appreciate it if you could take those measurements. Chris
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the little 1915 w/ IDA's...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/49784.jpg

and the current 2276 w/ 44 IDF's...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/141588.jpg

I think it'll be a tight fit, but you can make it work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:

Sorry Jeff for using your bus as an illustration.

i was totally kidding about using my bus pic, use them anytime you like.
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody, after looking the picture of Jeff`s engine I noticed that he was running K&N filters and they are alot smaller in dia. than I stock Kadron filters like I run so I will give you 2 measurements for each---clearance to the carb body and clearance to the air filter:

vertical support and carb: 4.200 inches
airfilter: 2.200 inches

wheel well and carb: 4.700 inches
airfilter: 2.700 inches

front of carb and gas tank: 4.00 inches
airfilter: 2.00 inches
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys for taking the time to measure. I will remove the rear ducting off the BN4 this weekend and test fit it in different spots before pulling the engine to replace the front main seal.
I will let you all know what I end up deciding to do, in case you care. Jeff's point is well taken; I don't want the heater right up against the carb, or I won't be able to adjust it. It has to be offset.

Chris
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling back an old thread. Has anyone successfully installed a BN4 with Dual IDFs?

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will ask as well. Has anyone successfully installed a BN4 with dual IDFs?
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:

Do some people who seriously don't care how their fuel lines are run? I mean, it's draped over linkage, Rolling Eyes

"It'd still be like my grandads old broom though, original, only 3 new heads and two new handles" -Marv [UK]
58deluxerag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastinradford wrote:
Major Woody wrote:

Do some people who seriously don't care how their fuel lines are run? I mean, it's draped over linkage, Rolling Eyes

If it isn't rubbin' what's the big deal? People say not to have those plastic filters in the engine compartment too.

'58 Binz
'58 Beetle Ragtop
'65 Sundial
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: