Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The largest air cooled collection in America
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cat1pro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: The largest air cooled collection in America Reply with quote

Who has the largest collection? Can the Collection be viewed? How many cars do you consider a collection? Let the fireworks begin Very Happy
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with a junkyard will claim your title. Mark Merrill has an incredible "private" collection of old vintage VWs of all types, not a public collection for viewing. Charlie Hammill has/had an awesome "private" collection of Split Buses. Joe Mond has a large "private" collection of Split-Buses. I have a "private" collection of eight older VWs. I don't know of any large "public" Vintage VW collections where you (the general public) can walk-up during published hours and be admitted. Not sure what you're going for here...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest air cooled collection in America Reply with quote

cat1pro wrote:
Who has the largest collection?
Can the Collection be viewed?
How many cars do you consider a collection?

1) in America...?
2) ...
3) small collection = 2-6
medium collection = 7-14
large collection = 15-Jay Leno size

Last edited by easy e on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
cat1pro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Gunther VW Dealerships in my local area have several in each of the showrooms and I was wondering if someone had something similar. Thank you for the responses so far.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time Wilson's VW Salvage had 1000 VW's. They all got crushed.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's that one museum over in Cuba or something. Open to the public. I saw a tv show on it, it has almost every year of ever model.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volkyland in Puerto Rico

DWP
Happyfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWP wrote:
Volkyland in Puerto Rico

DWP

Link

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
At one time Wilson's VW Salvage had 1000 VW's. They all got crushed.

Dang dont I know it. I went to University of Oklahoma...and graduated from high school in Oklahoma. Drove my type 3's and 4's through al of that and visited Wilsons until the end.

One of the Wilsons clan has been selling parts from out of that hoard from the buildings...as recently as last year.
There were things in the buildings that I would have payed cash for now that I have some. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cat1pro wrote:
I know the Gunther VW Dealerships in my local area have several in each of the showrooms

I frequent the Coconut Creek dealership. Those are almost museum quality restos.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Langen VW dealerships in the Hartford, CT area have a number of nice vintage and rare vw's on display and in the collection.

A couple of transporters from the collection, as seen at the 2012 Flanders, NJ all-air-cooled gathering.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar thread --
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584462
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest air cooled collection in America Reply with quote

If rusty VWs count, I have around 50 VWs right now, and have owned over 200 since 1988.. I still buy,sell and trade them as a hobby now.
1951 to 1967 bugs, almost one for every year..Missing 1953, '61,'65.
1958-'67 buses, almost one for each year too.. All in rough condition. Missing '61 and '65...
I do fix a vw up about every 2 years, but end up selling them and going after other ones. I have a very nice '56 almost ready for paint now..
My VWs are in my shop, under a 35x80 lean-to off the back of it and lined up behind the shop too. I did this just out of pure obsession and my plan was to own one for each year..I'm older now and realize it will never happen..I have seen thousands of VWs in Alabama over the years, but also saw many of them crushed and many get sold out of state..It has been a lot of fun finding and buying them though! I'm thinking about lining them all up in rows year by year and making a YouTube video, but have never tried it so far..
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Someone with a junkyard will claim your title. Mark Merrill has an incredible "private" collection of old vintage VWs of all types, not a public collection for viewing. Charlie Hammill has/had an awesome "private" collection of Split Buses. Joe Mond has a large "private" collection of Split-Buses. I have a "private" collection of eight older VWs. I don't know of any large "public" Vintage VW collections where you (the general public) can walk-up during published hours and be admitted. Not sure what you're going for here...

Bill

Wayout salvage in Kingston Arkansas had between 500-600 as recently as last year. They sell parts via Internet all over the world, however you can schedule a visit and look for yourself. Nice folks we've known them for years. One mans junk is another mans treasure. I don't know of anyone that calls them junkyards anymore. Proper nomenclature would be recycling or salvage. Very Happy
www.wayoutsalvage.com
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill

Wayout salvage in Kingston Arkansas had between 500-600 as recently as last year. They sell parts via Internet all over the world, however you can schedule a visit and look for yourself. Nice folks we've known them for years. One mans junk is another mans treasure. I don't know of anyone that calls them junkyards anymore. Proper nomenclature would be recycling or salvage. Very Happy
www.wayoutsalvage.com

Thank you for that link! Ray
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: The largest air cooled collection in America Reply with quote

That comedian Gabriel Iglesias has quite the collection of VW's but i don't think it is open to the public. I saw the clip on that Jay Leno garage show btw.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The largest air cooled collection in America Reply with quote

^ unsurprisingly Jay Lenno was a complete dick that entire interview
dogapult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: The largest air cooled collection in America Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
^ unsurprisingly Jay Lenno was a complete dick that entire interview

Unsurprisingly? What I've known of Jay Leno is he's a pretty nice, down to earth guy. Why do you say that?

gzg1406: "bamboo sounds almost like manboob"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: