Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Pressure Regulator/Proportioning Valve
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Brake Pressure Regulator/Proportioning Valve Reply with quote

Apparently mine is leaking, and the used one the shop had also leaked.
Anyone know of a source for these?

1977 Westy.

Thanks
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey EZ,
I had a spare but used it on a bus with one that was also leaking. Seems like if i could find the old one I could split it and figure out why it's leaking and try to solve that problem. I'm assuming it's much like a brake caliper and has seals that are unobtainium. Sorry I can't help.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are out NOS there but expensive. I found one and Hoody found two.

Scott at German Supply was rebuilding them and selling the remanufactured ones. Happy hunting. Otherwise check used with someone like Ken Madsen at Busco or Chris at Busted Bus. Make sure it is for a 1977 (late bay). Early bay ones are different. Also - sometimes the upper reservoir leaks onto the frame rail and down onto the valve. Make sure that isn't the real culprit. We've had people with rust lines have the same issue and it wasn't the valve.

for more see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351235
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
they are out NOS there but expensive. I found one and Hoody found two.

Scott at German Supply was rebuilding them and selling the remanufactured ones. Happy hunting. Otherwise check used with someone like Ken Madsen at Busco or Chris at Busted Bus. Make sure it is for a 1977 (late bay). Early bay ones are different. Also - sometimes the upper reservoir leaks onto the frame rail and down onto the valve. Make sure that isn't the real culprit. We've had people with rust lines have the same issue and it wasn't the valve.

for more see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351235

The German Supply website says out of stock. Haven't checked Busco yet, Busted Bus' website didn't list one, but I'll email Chris.

The mechanic diagnosed the initial issue, and they put on one off a parts bus, and it leaked as well. I trust this shop, they've always done me right.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not split yours apart and see what's up?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Why not split yours apart and see what's up?

I'll ask the shop if it's possible, they have it.
My Photography Page.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold my last one. These are VERY hard to find NOS. Try e-mailing Jeffrey at BusOk. He had at least one for sale not long ago. If it is leaking then the seals inside it are spent and as far as I know they are not available. Also the "rebuilding" of them from what I was told was only a splitting of them, cleaning them up and reassembling them. It would be nice if someone would reproduce the seals inside the valves.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raygreenwood had some seals made for the calipers. It would be too cool if they fit.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you call Scott at German Supply? I just did and they are in stock - the website was updated this morning.

Scott wrote to me this morning:
Quote:
we have the '73-'79 valves in stock, the '71-'72 valves are core rebuild only at the moment. so we can still do the '71-'72 valve but only with a supplied core.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Raygreenwood had some seals made for the calipers. It would be too cool if they fit.

If they are "round" seals.....and not too complex or large I will post the name of the company that machined the caliper half seals. I am on a different laptop now. I will see if I have their name in my jump drive. If not I can get it when I get back in town.
They do CNC rubber work. Quite accurate. Proper material...EPDM.
Reasonable price (for what I ordered)....about $150 for I think 75-100 seals.

What do the seals look like in that part?
Ray

EDIT: it would be good to know exact sizes and shapes of the seals you need. A gentleman on either STF or Samba sent me a bag of caliper half seals (they dont fit my calipers) but they are EPDM.....and if I can find a size usage for them I will pass them on to whoever can use them.

When I get home I will measure and post the size. Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, not sure at the moment what the seals look like.

Busted Bus had the part, and they are shipping tomorrow.
My Photography Page.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the only seals that would be relevant to a leakage problem are the two cup seals on the pistons and the big o-ring type seal around the ball chamber.
I haven't opened one of those gizmos yet, so I can only guess from looking at the drawing (early bay version shown):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Brake Pressure Regualtor Reply with quote

Is there a metal gasket between the two halves?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pressure Regualtor Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Is there a metal gasket between the two halves?

There is a gasket between the halves.
My Photography Page.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know.....I think long ago I got into one of these just because I had one. Im tjinking maybe 30 years ago.
Anyway......so.....it looks like (from Tcash's highlighting)......that there is a large diameter o-ring(?) On the centerline of the split case, and two cups....and a gasket?

I think I have commented before....that the piston set up appears to be almost identical configuration to thd type 4/porsche 914 brake pressure regulator.....but that one is a single piston with two cups. Doubtful that the parts would fit. ....and they are unobtanium anyway.

But.....back in the mid 90s I used to have the same type of CNC shop make seal cups for my type 4 brakes pressure regulator.

Back then.....the cups I had made were the wrong material. Its all they could do at the time. The hardness/elasticity was all wrong.....so I had to order like 5 sets just to get one set to work because the cups would rip stretching over the pistons.

I will post the companies I have that can do this type of work as and will be happy to jnquire once measurements get made. Ray
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pressure Regulator/Proportioning Valve Reply with quote

I managed to locate another one of these. If someone wants one of the last ones on earth pm me.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pressure Regulator/Proportioning Valve Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
I managed to locate another one of these. If someone wants one of the last ones on earth pm me.

Hey....if you have and old one you can open....measure the ID, OD and thickneas of the seal cups. O-ings are easy.....but if you can post some pucs and measurements....the cups may be something CNC rubber shop could easily make. Ray
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pressure Regulator/Proportioning Valve Reply with quote

I only have nos ones and one good used one. The nos ones are for my Bus in the future and I have a spare to sell. This part is absolutely critical to the braking system and rare as hell.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pressure Regulator/Proportioning Valve Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
I only have nos ones and one good used one. The nos ones are for my Bus in the future and I have a spare to sell. This part is absolutely critical to the braking system and rare as hell.

Yep...fully understand. The type 4 proportioning valve is rare as well. We are just lucky that ours is the same one for 914.....so there is one company that fully...and i mean FULLY rebuilds them...down to new bore plating, seals, paint and adjustment.

If you can disassemble one to measure the cups...disassembly should not change the adjustment.....cups.....can be made fairly cheap. Ray
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Pressure Regulator/Proportioning Valve Reply with quote

Ray,
I’m pretty sure I have a crusty one somewhere if I can find it. Do you need me to look?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: