Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are YOU taking care of you van mechanically? Not kidding.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Ben.....
If neglect and ignorance were only limited to Vanagons.....

We live in a society where many have become clueless about maintenance for almost any product. Nor do people seem to care..... Just get a new one.
Something simple like checking tire pressure? People don't..... So They dumbed it down with Tire Pressure Sensor Monitors.
Check your oil? People don't so they installed oil level monitors..... Which have evolved into oil cleanliness monitors.

we can even leave the realm of Automobiles..... Family example... Wife's Sister East of Indianapolis....... She and her husband buy the family farmhouse 25 years ago. Old complex, house from the 1800's, barn of same era, WWII era Quonset hut, and the prize? A 1930's era Three car garage...... With attached workshop!
When they moved in I said "the garage needs a roof, it's leaking."
Yeah yeah yeah..... No new roof, they eventually stopped parking in the garage because the roof leaked, soon it was full of large holes, then the beams rotted and collapsed...... Last Summer my BIL made a party out of tearing down the garage and having a huge bonfire! "Look! POS garage is gone!
Say What? By your benign neglect you ruined a huge asset!
The Barn, the Quonset hut, and yes, even the house aren't far behind the garage.
He just hasn't a clue about or even seems to care about anything he owns..... Except.... His Art supplies and his musical instruments.
He lives in a crap house surrounded by crap out buildings and drives crap cars.
I Doubt they have anything nice in their home for they turn it into crap in short order. I could write a book about their life but just think that TV show "The Middle"...... Bingo! That is their life almost exactly! Crap house, crap cars, crap jobs and yes, Even the three disfunctional children!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we live in a society where we assume things are guaranteed for life or somebody else will clean up our mess. If I screw up my insurance will cover it right?

You could spend hundreds of thousands of dollars replacing every wire/connector/bolt/gasket but parts fail at random. Where do people draw the line? Some buy old VW's as toys, others to relive dreams and some actually make it a dream.

I spent the last 12 months going through my 84 westy. Havent touched the coolant system and at 4 am I am starting to be alarmed. There are stainless pipes and the hoses look good. The water pump could go any time. But you really have to determine what is safe (brakes/suspension/fuel) and kinda roll the dice with the rest!

My 86 Turbo Diesel had 300k+ miles on it. It was a mess when I got it to and went through it but I didn't hesitate to drive anywhere! I knew it inside and out. It probably still had original brake lines on it. Did I worry? Nope. Its all about paying attention to fluid levels, warning lights etc.

The customers you have are simply out of touch with reality and $1.99 pint of brake fluid might do the trick every 30 days in their mind.

Be safe out there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave Wood Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this a lot. Since I like to tinker with automobiles and have learned over the last 40 years how to fix and maintain most anything, and what I don't know how to fix I try to learn and fix myself. Because of this many people ask me to help with their cars and I don't mind really. But what I tend to see is most people just get in and drive them, and they think if they have the oil changed occasionally they are being a responsible owner.

People see my Westy and have no idea that I spend more time tinkering, adjusting, and tuning than I do driving it. I've changed fuel lines on at least 5 vanagons. I'm not complaining about working on my westy because its therapeutic for me to get away from the desk at work and get my hands dirty.

Enough rambling, I don't think my post added any value to this topic but I wanted to chime in
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'll add - how about those "I just bought a van far away, I have had no inspection done, I may, or may not be, mechanically inclined, it may have not have been used much lately ( hence the sale) - should I have it shipped or go and drive it home?"

And easily 1/2 here will yell "Drive it home, it's an adventure!"
Yeah - thanks, who cares if the brakes work or the fuel lines are about to burst. "Everyone Out Of My Way, I Am On An Adventure!!!!" Rolling Eyes Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove your spare tire, check the brake line, pull them out of those little plastic clip.

Change the brake master, new oil, new flex line at each wheel = no need for any big brake kit.

The rear brake cylinder are what, 20-25$ each.

4 speed, change the master and slave clutch cylinder.

Automatic, check for oil contamination / mix.

Original fuel tank, garbage. Same for all the line.

Steering system is pretty reliable and in many case won't leave you stranded.

Stock engine, new fuel pump, regulator and line.

But hey, you guys do what ever you want.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased to say, I'm on track having worked through all of Ben's points above... Cool

Can I please get some "cred" for still running stock wheels, crooked bumpers, mild seam rust and the stereo it came with...???

Current favorite bumper sticker: "VW - turning owners into mechanics for over 50 years"

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=616081
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

priorities Yo!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY, I thought big alloy wheels were a safety issue: More stability or something--at least that is what GoWesty says.
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought our 88 Westy about a month ago because the wife always wanted one, and I wanted a race support vehicle. I get as much enjoyment out of working on the van as I do using it. If it just belonged to my wife, I have no doubt she'd be driving it around (with two kids in the back) in the condition we got it - which means no new fuel lines, leaky rear main, leaky trans, bad front left wheel bearing, coolant leak, 1 bad tire (also on the front), exhaust leak, etc. Scary!!!!

Of course she'd also never know there's a rust hole behind the sink - I wish I didn't know that.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But what I tend to see is most people just get in and drive them, and they think if they have the oil changed occasionally they are being a responsible owner.

If your goal is to buy new and dispose of it after 7 years, this is in fact the best financial strategy. It irks those who like to keep cars maintained, but we are all outliers in this sense.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If you want to drive a 10-20 year old plus car, you have to start replacing things that aren't on the regular scheduled maintenance list. ...

Exactly. And my question is what items are NOT on the GoWesty site as extended maintenance (they up to about 90,000 miles).

I've done almost all the long-term maintenance and am now down to items where I am not sure whether they need to be done or not:

1. differential seals (AT and diff. were replaced 45,000 miles ago)
2. FPR
3. Fuel manifolds (look good but are still plastic)

Non-safety items:

a. Fridge works on AC, but not on propane

I also highly recommend certain upgrades to address VW's penchant for design deficiencies:
1. relay for starter
2. relays for headlights

When I bought the Van, I went thru all the receipts and put the major service items into an Excel spreadsheet, along with the mileage and date of service. Then I sorted on date, and added other columns for all the maintenance items and their required mileages (or dates for things based on time alone, like brake fluid). This ain't my first old car, nor is it even close to my oldest currently owned vehicle.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dj keev beat me to the punch...you see this type of mentality in things MUCH more valuable and required in life. Vanagons should be way down the list.

I often find myself shocked by the level of abuse and neglect on something (your home), that you will take 30 YEARS to just get paid for! Shocked
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is seam rust dangerous? Very Happy
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalispell365 wrote:
dj keev beat me to the punch...you see this type of mentality in things MUCH more valuable and required in life. Vanagons should be way down the list.

I often find myself shocked by the level of abuse and neglect on something (your home), that you will take 30 YEARS to just get paid for! Shocked

Either you are paying a mortgage (or car payment) or you are paying for repairs.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
He just hasn't a clue about or even seems to care about anything he owns..... Except.... His Art supplies and his musical instruments.

Well, to be fair, as long as no one is in danger because of these cases of "neglect" it often really IS a matter of different people having different priorities. You BIL is into different hobbies than you, maybe he has no use for a garage and for some reason he really didn't want it on the property. I'm not saying it was a sound long term financial decision but he may have thought "why would I put money into that old run down garage? I don't even like cars and I can buy 20 vintage Martin Ukuleles for that same amount of money".

Some of my family members think I'm stupid for buying an old VW van when I could have bought something larger (with a toilet!) for not much more $$.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone is mechanically inclined (including a good number of professional mechanics).

Where I live most garages won't even service a Vanagon since it is well outside of their comfort zone.

Would you trust a generic garage to replace a leaking water gasket??

These vans (and any old cars in general) are really only for the realm of the home mechanic or where good help is available (like Ben).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Well, to be fair, as long as no one is in danger because of these cases of "neglect" it often really IS a matter of different people having different priorities. You BIL is into different hobbies than you, maybe he has no use for a garage and for some reason he really didn't want it on the property. I'm not saying it was a sound long term financial decision but he may have thought "why would I put money into that old run down garage? I don't even like cars and I can buy 20 vintage Martin Ukuleles for that same amount of money".

Some of my family members think I'm stupid for buying an old VW van when I could have bought something larger (with a toilet!) for not much more $$.

Yes! We are for sure very different people!

While his hobbies are indeed different he has bemoaned the loss of the garage but doesn't pin the blame on his neglect...... In his mind it was a POS when he moved in! Though he refused to listen to his Builder/remodeler BIL telling him differently.

His House? Literally falling down. We used to visit for about a week every Summer, I'd bring tools and ambition with me, but I realized that while he appreciated what I fixed...... He didn't care one way or the other. We don't visit as often now and when we do it is for shorter time periods without tools.

I view most old houses as worthy of saving and giving them a 2nd life..... His? Bring in the Bulldozers Bubba!
I love him........ But he's a Lazy SOB!!!!

Dave

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Steering system is pretty reliable and in many case won't leave you stranded.

Unless this happens:

Another cheap and relatively easy maintenance item that I'm sure many are not addressing. I guess it wouldn't leave you stranded until the bolts actually sheared off. I'm very glad I replaced mine when I did, would have been even happier if I had done so before the white knuckle drive home from the coast.

Keep your chin up Ben, some of us are learning (slowly)!
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have learned to turn a wrench over the years working on my vehicles. It probably started early when Dad got us into motorcycles and we would tear them down when they quit running. My brother is much better at mechanical things because he wasn't scared to tear things completely apart and rebuild them. I was and still am looking for others with schooling and knowledge to do major repairs, engine/transaxle rebuilds where I still lack the expertise, correct tools, and know how. But as far as most any other work I just always tell my kids "the other guy has two hands and so do I" I can learn and turn a wrench then if I do have issues I know what is going on and don't rely on the nearest shop fee's.

I have tried to teach my son and son in laws to do basic things to their vans. My son has recently had some on road repairs in Canada headed for Alaska. He isn't scared to dive in and try to repair stuff. Otherwise he probably couldn't afford to own a Syncro Westy.

As far as maintenance I am really very anal about keeping track of when things got replaced/mileages. I go through each system since I know these vehicles are getting along in years. Yes it does cost money to do complete replacements, but I never have believed the saying "if it is not broke don't fix it" that many seem to do. Once I had transaxle issues I rebuilt the entire drivetrain system completely. Transaxle, front diff, axles, cv's, boots, bearings, stub axles, everything. Then I inspect and keep all the old parts for backups if I do have a failure. My son usually uses my stash for parts. Shocked

This is one reason I love the Samba. I get to learn from others and increase my wrench turning skills. Other than a rebuilt transaxle and soon to install a rebuilt short block all the components on the van have been touched by my hands and I have been lucky to acquire the knowledge to make repairs.

This sure makes you sleep better at night when you are hundreds of miles away from the nearest town camped in the desert or high mountains. And one day to be able to go on extended overland adventures. Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: