Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ecotec swap, 2wd to Syncro conversion & camper build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it didn't rain much today, so I did a little work on the van and a lot of work cleaning up the borrowed shop I'm using.

I did however do a bit of exploratory work I guess I could call it on the passenger's side rear inner fender.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes that's a hammer & chisel and yes that's a crap load of body filler for some unknown reason... The bulk of the rust seems to be contained to outer corner where the jack lift point/ rear trailing arm attaches..

I hammered and chiseled away, even took the grinder to a bit of it and there must be a gallon of body filler in there or more. I dunno what the purpose is for other than to make someone's life a PITA at this future date.. It varies from about a 1/4" to 1/8" thick. It's very much a hassle to remove.

I'm still on the back and forth of if it's worth it to save this body or not.. I know the other side will be the same and I suspect there is much of the same in each of the front inner fender areas.. Confused
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my opinion is biased by my environment, but I would not be scrapping that Syncro.

This will seem like a stupid question to you, because you are there and I am not, but in the last photo that looks like a mastic type undercoating to me. VW did use that back then, and it is very difficult to remove. Fortunately, when the water gets underneath it makes the job a lot easier. Stuff peels right off, revealing mostly thin air and even thinner metal, if you are lucky.

And I know what you mean about the decision thing. It's my life story.

RonC
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
I know my opinion is biased by my environment, but I would not be scrapping that Syncro.

This will seem like a stupid question to you, because you are there and I am not, but in the last photo that looks like a mastic type undercoating to me. VW did use that back then, and it is very difficult to remove. Fortunately, when the water gets underneath it makes the job a lot easier. Stuff peels right off, revealing mostly thin air and even thinner metal, if you are lucky.

And I know what you mean about the decision thing. It's my life story.

RonC

Well there is some sort of silver tape which I assumed must be some sort of factory undercoating, but is the putty/filler stuff part of that tape? I kinda thought it seemed like it was body filler which had been covered with rubberized undercoating.

You think it's actually done like that by the factory, making it a under coating of some sort rather than body filler? For the life of me I can't see why anyone would put body filler there but when grinding it, it dusts up like filler.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen the silver tape from the factory, but at Canadian Tire they used to sell silver tape for covering up rust holes, then you could undercoat or paint over that. That is why we call them Crappy Tire.

I'm with you -- it makes no sense to body fill the wheel wells. I have not tried to grind the kind of undercoating I am thinking of, but I can kind of envision it turning to dust also.

In Canadian vehicles at least, VW used a fairly thick mastic type undercoating.This was the prevailing thinking at that time. Encapsulate the metal and seal out the moisture, salt etc. There was a popular aftermarket treatment (Zeibart) that preceded it around here. In theory it was great, and for the first few years it worked great too. The problem was, when it cracked, and it did, the salt/moisture would wick in underneath and rust the steel. It all looked great until you noticed the rust stains. Then you dug it out of there and there was nothing underneath. Where the metal was still protected it looked just like your photos. Very much stuck to the metal like glue and very hard to remove.

I have seen this on late 80s and early 90s VWs.

EDIT: It was also used on the inside on the floors of some A2s I have here.

RonC
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just looks to be the stuff they line the fender wells with, all four wheel wells should have it. In the rear, it extends back to the rear panel. Here is a pic of it cleaned up.

DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:
It just looks to be the stuff they line the fender wells with, all four wheel wells should have it. In the rear, it extends back to the rear panel. Here is a pic of it cleaned up.

Odd, I looked at the 86 tin top I have for comparison and it didn't have much of anything for under coating. Yet it's completely rust free underneath so maybe this something they used on vans from the east coast or maybe it was a dealer add on or something.

I could have swore the stuff was body filler, it looks just like it. Maybe I'll just clean it up around the rust areas and leave the rest, because it's a pita to get off the van.

Anyway, I'm still delayed waiting on fuel system components as for test firing the ecotec. I'm hoping everything shows up before the end of the week. Until then Ill likely keep poking at rust holes.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is NOT body filler.
Not all vans received the same amount of sprayed product to them.
Why? I'm not sure, but I can tell you that the later vans have it pretty much everywhere and for good reasons.
The product is sprayable seam sealer.
I carry the Wurth product in rubberized form and urethane form.
I also have the Wurth and Lord applicators that allow for very intricate spot sealing, vertical seam sealing and offer sprayability with many different textures and build thickness.

For anyone looking to match up with the same product and would like to rent the factory tools to apply them, feel free to contact me.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A heat gun makes removing it much easier. Get the bulk of it with a scraper and a flat blade screwdriver and then when it cools a small wire brush. That corner is actually boxed more than it appears. There is a diagonal plate that reinforces that corner up to the inner panel. It triangulates it through the floor.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
A heat gun makes removing it much easier. Get the bulk of it with a scraper and a flat blade screwdriver and then when it cools a small wire brush. That corner is actually boxed more than it appears. There is a diagonal plate that reinforces that corner up to the inner panel. It triangulates it through the floor.

I was thinking a heat gun might make it easier. Figured I'd try the next go around. I finally sorted through the parts I'll need to complete the fuel system and clean up the cooling system for the final installation. Everything is on order and I'm hoping I get everything by the weekend.

As far as the Syncro body, I was poking around under it looking at the front areas and found this..

I knew there was rust on the outer side of that frame rail, but didn't think it was on the other side as well.

The driver's side is much better but I'm starting to get a little frustrated with what I keep finding. I also checked out all the available body replacement panels and found that I can buy the inner rockers which are so bad underneath..

The problem is, when adding up the price of all those body panels, not even including value of my time, I'm @ $700 just in replacement panels. That's not even counting anything forward of the side panels. Meaning assuming I don't have to fix the front fenders.

The biggest expense being the inner rockers as they were $230 each

Meanwhile with all the rust, I'm also going to have to replace the brake lines and various other little things here and there. I'll likely be at around $1k or a bit more, just in parts and supplies for things I still need to get the back half of the van in shape.

Meanwhile I have that 2wd van sitting there that needs next to nothing in body work costs and would certainly save a ton of labor time if I used it..

grrr
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$yncro
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
$yncro

Nothing in these repairs is Syncro specific, just rust which happens to be on a Syncro. Confused
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not agree and when you take a look inside the frame rail where the front subframe connects, you will have an eye opener Shocked

It most certainly will be a Syncro specific fix and if you just plan to swap over parts to a 2wd, you will need this section to properly convert to AWD.

Trust me, I have seen a few rusted Syncros in my day and this one would not pass inspection in my state left in this condition.

Cutting and replacing metal is needed here and structural welding.
Not chewing gum, glue or tack welds.
Cover that area over with goop and the decay process will accelerate.

I have brand new and excellent used plasma cut sections from donor vans available.
Not inexpensive at all as new are imported and used must be cut by someone with experience and the tools....also worth mentioning having parts Syncros around.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
I do not agree and when you take a look inside the frame rail where the front subframe connects, you will have an eye opener Shocked

It most certainly will be a Syncro specific fix and if you just plan to swap over parts to a 2wd, you will need this section to properly convert to AWD.

Trust me, I have seen a few rusted Syncros in my day and this one would not pass inspection in my state left in this condition.

Cutting and replacing metal is needed here and structural welding.
Not chewing gum, glue or tack welds.
Cover that area over with goop and the decay process will accelerate.

I have brand new and excellent used plasma cut sections from donor vans available.
Not inexpensive at all as new are imported and used must be cut by someone with experience and the tools....also worth mentioning having parts Syncros around.

I was meaning rust in its self, is not Syncro specific.. I also understand this van has structural issues due to the rust, which is why I'm so back & forth on if I should body swap or not. The outside body panels do not bother me as far as the rust goes, it's the spots on the frame which bug me.

I grew up on a street where my best friend's dad owned an old school body shop where they rebuilt a lot of old cars, mostly fords but I've seen enough of this kind of work to understand what is involved.

I also worked in a body shop as a porter for a while when I was younger and have worked on cars quite a bit in my life. I'm not an expert at it but I'm also not a novice and in worst case I know enough people whom know a thing or two I might not..

In no way would I just patch something together or cover it up. I'm either doing it right or not doing it.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. just making sure it is understood that the subframe attachment point is structural and very important...especially with added power, torque, lifting, larger wheels/tires....yadda, yadda, yadda.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at your earlier pictures, your welds look decent to me. I still believe you can repair much of the damage welding in 1/8" plates. Just don't get carried away. Relieve the loads when possible and concentrate on one area at a time. In other words don't cut out too much. You can also add plates/gussets to triangulate your repairs. I have both lower rockers from a pretty clean one. I only robbed the outer skin from the l/s. I have the r/s for sale here. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1721719 The shipping is the pain, I am not in the business.

My rockers would have to be in a lot worse shape than yours to cut them out entirely. For yours, I would be cutting out rust and seam welding patches using sheet metal from a good junkyard hood.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Looking at your earlier pictures, your welds look decent to me. I still believe you can repair much of the damage welding in 1/8" plates. Just don't get carried away. Relieve the loads when possible and concentrate on one area at a time. In other words don't cut out too much. You can also add plates/gussets to triangulate your repairs. I have both lower rockers from a pretty clean one. I only robbed the outer skin from the l/s. I have the r/s for sale here. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1721719 The shipping is the pain, I am not in the business.

My rockers would have to be in a lot worse shape than yours to cut them out entirely. For yours, I would be cutting out rust and seam welding patches using sheet metal from a good junkyard hood.

Well you are in FL and I'm in FL. It's a bit of a drive but something I could do. I'll PM you in a few.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap the Syncro and convert.

The rust will be much worse inside.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

Oh man.. that wasn't the advise I was hoping for after seeing what you did with your Tristar conversion.. Pray

I guess your's wasn't so much in the frame as mine is but more in the body panels.

Last edited by DAV!D on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

Oh man.. that wasn't the advise I was hoping for after seeing what you did with your Tristar conversion.. Pray

I guess your's wasn't so much in the frame as mine is but more so in the body panels.

The only reason that I haven't scrapped it is because it's still got some structural strength. The rust is fairly superficial.

However... if it gets too bad, the body will make way for another.

Every van is savable if you really want to put the much time and money into it. Looking at the rust, I'd expect there to be rust in more areas than you expect when you start repairing it.

Maybe the way to go is to cut out what you can see... then have a really good look at what you have and make a decision from there?

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
DAV!D wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

MG

I guess your's wasn't so much in the frame as mine is but more so in the body panels.

The only reason that I haven't scrapped it is because it's still got some structural strength. The rust is fairly superficial.

However... if it gets too bad, the body will make way for another.

Every van is savable if you really want to put the much time and money into it. Looking at the rust, I'd expect there to be rust in more areas than you expect when you start repairing it.

Maybe the way to go is to cut out what you can see... then have a really good look at what you have and make a decision from there?

MG

I guess I'll have to make my decision once I pull the ecotec back out and start digging into the rear sections of the van. The only thing that worries me is not being able to fully access the front areas of the van until I dismantle the front suspension & cradle.

I have a pretty good idea at what is in store with the back sections of the van, but now that I found the rust on the inner section of the front framework, I don't know what else I'll find up there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: