Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a little insurance help
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanta23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Need a little insurance help Reply with quote

I've gone through the process of getting collector car insurance through AAA as I've done with all my other classic vehicles. My bus is in original paint and they tell me they can't insure it until I paint it. I explained that the bus is worth just as much in original paint as it would be with a shiny new paint job. It's not a rust issue, it's just the paint is worn through to the primer in some areas. So now what? The bus isn't insurable as a classic car because the paint isn't pretty enough? Is this standard practice? I need it insured for an agreed value. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little insurance help Reply with quote

That is ridiculous. It is insurable with old paint through other companies.

Ask AAA to show you IN WRITING where their policy demand fresh paint. Then ask how fresh it must be. Does it need to be re-painted every 5 years? Smile Perhaps every ten years? Request that they show you that policy in writing. Rolling Eyes

Your insurance agent is not very helpful.
Hans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA is really tough on Collector Car insurance. It has to look perfect in the pictures. They DO NOT understand original paint cars!! But they are a graet deal if you have a restored looking car!
You have to go to Grundy's or another one! I know of a few if you need one!! Barret Jackson collector car insurance will cover it also! Good luck and PM me if you need a number!
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought everyone was using hagerty these days. No?

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive and Geico offer the same Classic Car insurance hassle free. Also I've used RL Jones Insurance, covers for like a hundred bucks a yr!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wanta23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the assistance. I started this process with AAA exactly a month ago and just now, after many calls and emails I'm nowhere. I have contacted hagerty and will likely go with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Hagerty with several cars -- They have been very good, with NO mileage limit

went thru the same BS with AAA -- one they denied because the speedo didn't work, because they have a yearly mileage limit, and if you have any kind of roll bar.. .. forget about it

with my Fiat and Ghia, they both have full cages, not a peep about them being in there from Hagerty. Hagerty didn't even cough about the highly modified turbo engine in the Ghia... Did have to sign a statement acknowledging that my insurance was void if I was racing or speed demonstration on private property or track just recently with the Ghia though, which is no biggie.
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been an insurance broker for almost 30 yrs and have never heard of such a thing. We have Hagerty and it's the only one we use. They have an excellent product and very low rates. Best of luck.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some BS. If you have more than 3 classics you might want to look into AIG thru Grundy. They have a very affordable Motor Vehicle Program fleet insurance plan. Only rule I remember was that one had to be insured in a different category so I insured my Westy as an RV and the others as pleasure drivers. There were different annual mileage options too IIRC.. No rules on driving to work, camping, road trips, garaged storage, etc. Most of my cars are survivors that I like to drive regularly, not high dollar restorations which is what a lot of the companies are going to. Seems it get harder every year to keep these old babies insured. Good luck.
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grundy was the best deal with the least amount of hassle for me and do offer an agreed value payout option. They did require another DD and a garage though.

Hagerty was a joke for me when I tried to insure my old Jeep. I had a bumper that had a built in hitch receiver that I never even used, just came that way. They wouldn't insure it because they saw that in the pictures and deemed it "used for towing". Rolling Eyes
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagerty wouldn't insure me because I don't have a garage. Sucks.. They had also said that if I slept in my bus at an overnight meet at a shop, that would be considered camping, and wouldn't insure me for that reason either...
'69 Bug
rangrbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Need a little insurance help Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

I had the Bus insured through Hagerty when I owned it. They were great to deal with. You just need to send them some detailed photos.

Hope the Bus is doing good. I already regret selling it.

Karl
joemonet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: AAA vs Hagerty Reply with quote

I went over in detail with AAA on the "stated value" of my 60 23 window bus. I wanted it insured for $60K. I paid $500 per year for this coverage. Before having the car towed, my friend looked at my AAA policy and noticed that my total coverage was $17K.
Just think if the Bus would have been in an accident on a AAA tow truck. They wouldn't have paid more than $17K.
I called AAA they said they don't offer classic car insurance, they why are you billing me for it.
AAA told me they had zero record of my conversation with the insurance rep that sold me the policy, right!
An salesman just made up the policy and made it bill all by himself.
I got Haggerty for $200 a year, but the max they will cover is $39K.
Still better than AAA scam.
I've been with AAA for 30 years and I couldn't believe what they were telling me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: