Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL! I could do that and hide the LED battery pack inside the PVC. Anymore pictures of this? 1" PVC? Did you use 3 T joints to hold it together/on? Did you just cut the T joint to slide it in or did you cut a piece out? I don't want to scratch my gutter paint. LOL

Thanks for sharing!

tam
Tom Powell wrote:
Here is a way to temporarily mount something to the gutters. I use the the slotted PVC T's and tubing to hang a sunshade. Others have used them for hanging hillbilly chandeliers. They slide on from the back and can be easily removed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please note the blue skies and clean air here in Kaneohe.

Aloha
tp

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Coming back from BBB I shot this little clip showing the lighting difference between the SA Grille H4 upgrade lighting and the Super Bright Lights LED bars.

The video still does not reflect the amount of light that this 288W 50" curved bar does produce.

Was that you who drove back into BBB Saturday night during the raffle? If so, I can attest that that light bar is extremely bright!! Shocked
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Syncro Jael wrote:
Coming back from BBB I shot this little clip showing the lighting difference between the SA Grille H4 upgrade lighting and the Super Bright Lights LED bars.

The video still does not reflect the amount of light that this 288W 50" curved bar does produce.

Was that you who drove back into BBB Saturday night during the raffle? If so, I can attest that that light bar is extremely bright!! Shocked

Nope, wasn't me. But there was another van with an LED bar there. Maybe that one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Nope, wasn't me. But there was another van with an LED bar there. Maybe that one?

Must've been that one. It was mounted in the same place and also ran the width of the roof... and nearly blinded me when I looked over at it. Laughing
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

So, I've finally found my perimeter lighting system. They arrived today and I messed around with them in the driveway to see how the output is. Here's what I bought:

SpeedTechLights.com (STL)
- MicroCarbine Offroad LED Surface Mount/Work Light. These put out 570 lumens from 3 CREE 5w emitters. (6 for total of $105)

- Dual Carbine Floodlight Offroad 5" LED light bar. These put out 1320 lumens from 6 CREE 5w emitters with reflectors. (1 @ $30)

- Wireless Remote with Flash Capability (1 @ $30)

- 4 illuminated rocker switches with icons and illuminated text. ($40) (not from STL)

I have been looking long and hard at lights, even going to a showroom to look at the mighty Rigid Industries lights. They're terrific but the prices are absolute showstoppers for me. I spent a little over $200 and will have very effective perimeter lighting. Most important, these will fit where I want them. Top of B pillars, Grille, and at the rear.

I'm nowhere near reviewing or bragging about them but I wanted to post these products because I feel they represent the best value and quality by far at these prices. These are not Chinese junk, nor an offshore source that will arrive in 6 weeks. They are also on sale RIGHT NOW and the prices are even better. I wanted Samba folks to know that before the sale ends. Shipping is kind of high, and it took them a few days to get mine shipped. I waited to have them in my hands to review their output and quality. They are fully waterproof and have a 3 year warranty standard.

I'll be installing them over the next few weeks. The 5" light bar up on the rear edge of the roof will be the only thing poking out, but I wanted a serious heavy duty rear lamp for backing at night and this one has a great flood pattern and lots of power. Since I carry bikes on the back, I wanted the rear light up high above any possible loads. The rest of the lights will bolt flush against the body so no issues with car washes, branches, theft and all the rest. Read my earlier posts on this thread to see my design goals. These lights will achieve them.

As a side note, we travel in snow and foul weather - certainly some fog in our mountain adventures. So I put rear foglamps on all my vehicles and don't have one on the Vanagon yet. As an experiment, I ordered one extra Micro Carbine in RED (+$5) to see if its bright enough. Answer: Yes - a very vivid and brilliant red. I will be installing it on the rear hatch as a rear foglamp for poor visibility.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

You might want to check out this kit from back country solar.

https://back-countrysolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/4-Bar-Light-Kit-Brochure-PDF-1.pdf

https://back-countrysolar.com/product/aluminum-led-light-kit-pop-ups/

I bought one and it is a well made and versatile kit. It comes with several different cords and splitters and is a capable of many different configurations. The strips are magnetic and can easily be mounted just about anywhere. The lights can be dimmed and the kit comes with a remote. The temp value of the lights are a little harsh and are definitely on the cooler side of the spectrum. That would be my only complaint that it doesn't come in a warmer light choice. The description of the light says the temp value of the lighting is 600-6000k suggesting it is adjustable but I have never been able to get anything but cool, blue-ish light. Now, you may be looking for a much brighter system but I find this system has plenty of light for setting up camp. I use mine for this very purpose. Once the camp is set up I use a luminoodle from gowesty strung up on my awning and that provides plenty of light for just hanging out at camp. The luminoodle provides a much nicer, warmer light but isn't bright enough for setting up camp efficiently. If I need some brighter task lighting I just turn on the backcountry kit. Both lights set up fast and easily. Good luck.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

Just an FYI about using lights to help set up camp.
The halos on the 7" LED headlights do a very good job of lighting the area in front of the Vanagon after you pull into a drive in spot in the parks and not annoying to other campers like full headlights are. ☺

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

I have these flat thin 18W lights under the front steps shining out sideways and forward. also a pair under the back bumper tied into the reverse lights splayed out towards the sides.

they shed a great amount of 'localized' light for spotting campsights and turn offs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Offroad-LED-Light-18-Watt-...2640671522

SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

I like the look of those Micro LED Surface Mount lights and their light output. SuperbrightLEDs has something similar but only about a 1/2 the light output and more $$. The sale prices seem good and they have a deal on a 4 pack.

Question, where and how do you plan to mount them on the B-Pillar?

I am in the hunt for more light for pulling into a campsite at night. I'd like more light for maneuvering into place and for have some light to setup camp.

Can you get a picture the light output along with some other light source we can relate to? Like maybe the light output of 1 headlight(cover the second one) or a 200 or 300 lumen flashlight.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

As high as possible on B pillar with a thin wedge to aim them level, without interfering with gutter racks. Then two in grille, and two on side at D pillars. Rear will be handled by the pendant on top edge of hatch because I want a crazy amount of light back there for backing.

I will see on photos vs headlights. Van is inside on jackstands for weeks yet. I have a 500 lumen flashlight however.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

I was also thinking about mounting them high on the sides however I was thinking about a mount off of the luggage rack on my westy. You have me thinking though that they might tuck under the rain gutter pretty well with a wedge. I'd like to keep them streamlined somehow and not create additional wind noise. It would be a bummer if they whistled.

Hey a 500 lumen flash light seems like a good comparison. I am guessing the flashlight will be more of a spot and the others a flood.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

Yes, my thinking also. I am mounting these for the rest of the van's life and to also not interfere with any of the myriad other uses and configurations and functions. both now, and contemplated. So, hanging a light off the side where one day someone might bend it by grabbing it, or the wind noise potential, or bashing it loading a kayak, etc were considerations. I wanted the brightest system currently possible, but placing them with exquisite care so I would not have regrets. A future car cover would not play well with protrusions, for instance. An automatic car wash. Leaving the van on a busy Seattle street where some punk kid might see a bauble to mess with, hang on or try to break off.

SS - the surface mount lights come with two rubber gaskets. One flat, and one with a rounded surface that would play well with a pipe mount or similar such as your luggage rack.

So, I will try to do this picture tonight. After examining beam patterns and brightness the other night, I ordered another 4 of the flush lights. Not out of concern I won't have enough light, but out of a desire to have the system truly amaze and satisfy me. The beam widths were nice. So I think adding another pair at the D pillars wedged to face slightly rearward and the B pillar light slightly forward will cover the sides well with over 1000 lumens on each side. So all 4 points of the compass will have over 1000 lumens and the lights have broad patterns that will be slightly fanned out from one another.

I also ordered the remote with these last 4 lights. When we sleep in the roof tent, it would be nice to poke our noses out of the tent in grizzly country and know there is no immediate threat if wanting to climb down for a bathroom run or similar. Full illumination all around with the light up high for farther effectiveness.

Will update. I need to think of a place tonight to use for the photos that is pitch dark. Hmmm..
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

OK, these are pictures of the two types of lights mentioned above. They were taken of my neighbor's house from 80 feet away. The first is the 15W CREE surface mount micro carbines. This is one single unit:

The second is the larger dual carbine with 30W CREE - again one unit:

Both of them, the beam pattern was from being hand held about 4' off the ground and centered on that lollypop shaped bush at the left edge of his garage door. When mounted, the 15W units will be about eye height, and the larger 30W unit will be about 7 feet off the ground.

They are exactly what I am looking for. In the dark woods of a freecamp out in a clearing or remote location, they will create a nice uniform circle of light out to a usable 100 feet to easily see a person or animal before getting out of the van, or out of the rooftop tent. For a pair of animal eyes, they will probably light out a couple hundred yards - LEDs are crazy effective on animal eyes. I am impressed with the broad and uniform pattern - was expecting to have to put up with more of a hot spot. The spread is also greater than I thought laterally, so there will be a nice overlap of the light patterns and leave no part of the perimeter without direct illumination.

I'm pretty pumped at the way these seem to match the system I wanted to have. The van will have 6 of the small units covering the front and sides, and one of the larger units will easily handle the rear and double as a reverse light from the roof level to help backing at night in rough unfamiliar offroad ground or a crowded parking lot alike.

Last edited by IdahoDoug on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

Wow those little lights are impressive! I like the beam pattern and as you noted it looks like a clean pattern too. At first I was thinking of tucking the small guys under the rain gutter but I forgot about my awning on the passenger side. I need to revisit mounting them up higher on the cargo bin above the cab. I am mainly looking for some light for maneuvering into a camp spot at night. The 15 watt guys seem like plenty of light for that. The only place I am second guessing myself is on the first step of finding a spot to park in the first place. I could see that more light to the sides could be helpful for finding a spot however once a spot is found the smaller lights would be plenty for getting parked and setting up camp. It seems if I had bigger side lights it could be obnoxious in a state park type campground where folks are close together. 2/3 of the time I am in a regular campground and 1/3 in primitive sites. I think I'll be cutting a wedge out of a block of wood tomorrow to mock up how these might fit and look on the luggage bin.

Thanks for doing the pictures, very helpful.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

I have an awning, too and am planning to mount them a few inches below the level of the fabric. I plan a separate "porch light" switch for the passenger B pillar light and will make a simple diffuser on a magnet (just a chunk of milk jug glued to a magnet) I can slap over it in camp for a mellow area light under the awning.

I agree these will be perfect for cruising through a campground looking for an open spot without headlamps on. When lighting up shiny vehicles to see empty spots, or slips of paper clipped to campsite posts it will be even more effective as these reflect well. But not a crazy bright light like a pair of headlamps.

I'm pretty stoked at how they're going to work out. Interested in your wedge thoughts as well. I'm trying to think of a material I can use that will be waterproof but easy to work. I think I have some white starboard from a boat project but its white - prefer black.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
OK, these are pictures of the two types of lights mentioned above. They were taken of my neighbor's house from 80 feet away. The first is the 15W CREE surface mount micro carbines. This is one single unit:

No pictures?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

I re uploaded them to Samba and then put them back in the thread. I have no idea what happened other than to assume they had no Vanagon in them? Dunno. I'll mention it to Kam and see if they'll stay this time.

Doug
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

my campsite spot/setup lights are all mounted underneath the van.
I prefer the indirect lighting method.. especially while looking for sites in an occupied campground.. I loathe those that come in late/after hours with all their highbeams and aircraft lights ablaze..
I do have a 1million candle power spotlight to return the favor.

but in a clearing out in the deep dark woods where your the only primates in a mile.. those are great.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

You might want to check transporter werks Facebook page. They are developing a perimeter light system for Vanagons that looks really bright. It might be what you are looking for. Here is a photo of the lights on a doka.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for full perimeter LED bright lighting system? Reply with quote

Nice - does look bright. I will take a similar picture when im done. Mine are all going to be up high - as close to rain gutter as possible. Going for full illumination all round. Those in the pic are all down low and will be blocked by brush, picnic tables n coolers and adjacent vehicles. I hope mine will be a completely different feel - reaching out further and with broad overlapping patterns and even lighting with minumal harsh shadows. Found some cool wiring workarounds n places to mount last night that will ease install. Stoked as I was all set to get out my big drill and go postal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: