Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solenoid problem in new starter
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Solenoid problem in new starter Reply with quote

I've got a 1967 bug. The starter is a couple years old. The wiring harness is ten years old. Turning the key there's a loud click. But nothing else. If I stick a screwdriver between the solenoid spade and the large nut the engine starts. Occasionally I've heard the starter spinning but not engaging the flywheel. So it's a solenoid problem?

Right now I've got a jerry-rigged remote starter: An alligator clip to the solenoid spade, a second alligator clip to the 13mm nut, both wires going to a push switch taped to the right rear bumper mount. Would a starter relay solve the problem? CIP1 has them for about $15.

TIA,

crvc
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First try the jump at the ignition switch. You might just have a poor contact inside the switch. If it reliably starts with that jump, replace the switch. If not, check the wiring and grounds. 10 year old wiring and a recent 12V starter should NOT require a hard start relay.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solenoid problem, yes. The solenoid has to both mechanically engage the starter as well as electrically switch current to the starter motor.

Instead of throwing money at extra relays and wiring, fix what is wrong with your starter.

Your 2 year old starter could have easily been poorly repaired, so it's age might be much older than you think.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, for the good old days when I could find a VW solenoid in any parts store. Last time I tried I was told they aren't available any more and I'd have to buy a new starter. Even CIP1 doesn't list starter solenoids.

crvc
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a typical VW Starting problem. There are so many things that cause this it's best to try to break down the problem to either Mechanical or Electrical. But sometimes it's a little of both.
Are you getting at least 11 volts to the solenoid? That's a good place to start.
If it's 10 volts or less they become intermittent.
Solenoids are actually pretty easy to disassemble.
1st remove the starter.
2nd Check it that the armature is not dragging, if it is the starter is junk.
3rd remove the solenoid from the starter.
4th disassemble the solenoid (unsolder the solenoid wires from the end cap then it will come apart).
5th clean up the plunger and contactor and check the two solenoid coils that they both have continuity.
6th lightly lube the solenoid plunger and moving parts etc..
7th reassemble solenoid (solder wires back on the end cap) mount it on the starter and test. It should kick in hard when tested if not it may be that the solenoids contactor is not working properly. The contactor is spring loaded and when "closed circuit" it runs the starter motor as well energizing the second solenoid coil directly.
Another problem old starters have is the little brass bushing press fit to the bell housing on the transaxle gets worn and this can cause the starter motor armature to drag which messes up the starter motor armature causing it to draw too much current etc.. This loads down the voltage and if the battery or cables are less than ideal a problem like what your describing happens.
One easy work around to having to change the bushing is to buy a Bosch SR-17 starter which does not use the bushing. SR-17x, SR15 New.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Solenoid problem in new starter Reply with quote

crvc wrote:
If I stick a screwdriver between the solenoid spade and the large nut the engine starts. Occasionally I've heard the starter spinning but not engaging the flywheel. So it's a solenoid problem?

If the starter motor spins but does not engage the FW, you are jumping across to the starter motor and not the solenoid.
More than likely you need to just clean, dielectric grease and reconnect tight each connection in your wiring.

Also helps to solder up the fuse box interior connections.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=473361&highlight=fuse+box+soldering
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Turning the key there's a loud click.

Usually a click is the sound of the solenoid being energized. The solenoid does two things. Extends the bendix and connects the high current contacts. A solenoid works because of a magnetic field. The more current, amps, the greater the magnetic field. Voltage is getting to the solenoid but not enough current. To increase the current... replace the quick disconnect end on the small solenoid and clean, till bright, disconnect tab on the solenoid, reconnect. A dab of grease will help to keep this connection from crusting up.

That being said, I'd put the hot start in anyway. The Germans might know machanical stuff but who was the dumbass that came up with the starter circuit on a ACVW.

I use a hot start relay only because when I make my wiring harnesses I can use a 18ga wire for the starter circuit. Now a hot start relay (small cube relay coil) and use that 10ga wire going up to the starter switch, as a power feed for just the headlights.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now it works then doesn't then works. So first thing is to try starting with the key. The starter labors but then the engine fires. But Later in the day when I want to go home for lunch the key doesn't start the car. But I kept the homemade remote starter in place. With that the engine started right away. So I'll pick up a starter relay this weekend.

Thanks,

crvc
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crvc wrote:
Right now it works then doesn't then works. So first thing is to try starting with the key. The starter labors but then the engine fires. But Later in the day when I want to go home for lunch the key doesn't start the car. But I kept the homemade remote starter in place. With that the engine started right away. So I'll pick up a starter relay this weekend.

Thanks,

crvc

Adding a relay before checking the ignition switch itself is not likely to be a long-term fix...
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
crvc wrote:

Thanks,

crvc

Adding a relay before checking the ignition switch itself is not likely to be a long-term fix...

I used a jumper to check connections on the key switch and it didn't make a difference. I'm guessing if the starter relay doesn't solve the problem the starter motor might be bad. The battery shows 11 volts. So I'm hoping for a cheap fix--$11 relay--versus a new starter/solenoid for $80. The headlights shine brighter when revving the engine so I guess that means the generator is working.

crvc
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 volts at the solenoid on the 50 wire when cranking is about right! The Relay probably won't fix it but may help a little if that starter and solenoid are just on the edge of working at that voltage.
On VW starters it is always best to do everything you can to insure you won't be stranded. I would Get the starter rebuilt plus rebuild or replace the solenoid and change that bushing in the transaxle and replace the cables and clean all the chassis connections. There are 3 cables and 6 cable connections to be concerned about:
Battery Ground cable,
Battery Positive cable to Starter,
Transaxle Strap cable.

Last edited by Danwvw on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 11 volts directly at the battery terminals at rest? Then the battery is not charged.
Is it at the solenoid while cranking? Then you have a starter wiring issue ahead of the solenoid.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get it fixed?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the issue to install a starter relay, commonly referred as a hard start relay, has been beat to death for years here. Older cars need some help and there is issues with the off shore china parts. But the other side of the argument is many new autos have starter relays.
You can look into a local rebuilder and see if a minor starter repair is justified.
Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: