Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

to themadcap
try reaching up there and giving the slotted shaft a twist with some long nose pliers. it should turn towards the front of the van. leave it parked in the middle. and go for a ride.. see if it behaves/shifts better
I do not recall if it'll stay put or self rotate/adjust..

jlrftype7, not sure which image you are referring to.. I went back a page or 2 and don't see what you are referring to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
to themadcap
try reaching up there and giving the slotted shaft a twist with some long nose pliers. it should turn towards the front of the van. leave it parked in the middle. and go for a ride.. see if it behaves/shifts better
I do not recall if it'll stay put or self rotate/adjust..

jlrftype7, not sure which image you are referring to.. I went back a page or 2 and don't see what you are referring to.
. Previous page where I posted a picture of my manual valve and related linkage for another poster who needed a clearer view of how the kickdown rod sits.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

you mean this pic? I can't tell how/where your manual valve 'relay lever' is positioned in this pic.
jlrftype7 wrote:
Is either one of them anything like this[ my '84 Auto]

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
themadcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

So I need to remove the governor and stick a long needle nose plier in the shaft? I'm hoping nothing broke in the differential. I have a governor and cap from a 78 bus, I'm wondering if I can try it ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

who said it's your governor? don't mess with one thing untill you've sorted out the other thing.. it's obvious that you don't have your manual valve set up properly.. so start by getting that set up. they can be sensitive even when connected..

from this VW manual
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techtran_vw_transmission_003_010.php

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
themadcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

I rigged a a kick down to my carburetor and adjusted the band because it was way tight. The shifts are nice and crisp, but I a significant inprovement, however, I still have to manually upshift from 1st, 2nd and Drive.

You mention the manual valve, I'm assuming I have to drain the pan and remove it to adjust it? Sorry for the ignorant question but I'm not sure which one is the manual valve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

no you do not need to drop the pan to adjust it.

in normal operation the manual valve (relay lever) is adjusted by it's fore/aft position in the middle of the throttle linkage..
position is fairly important.. movement in association with the throttle is fairly important.

your almost there as far as this portion.. whether it corrects your problems, I'm not entirely sure Wink

are you sure your shifting linkage is hitting the (D) position?
themadcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

When stopped, the bus tries to move slightly on Drive, I can only get it to move when placing the lever on 1st gear. Once it moves and reaches about 20mph, I can throw it in Drive and it will upshift from 2nd to 3rd.

The issue seems to be from a complete stop. It's strange Confused
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

When in D and in first gear, the one way clutch is holding it in gear. When you put it in 1, you are engaging another clutch to hold it in gear.

Sounds like you have a one way clutch issue.
themadcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

I was pretty certain that on my 3rd time rebuilding this thing that I put everything back correctly. If I have to take this apart again, I won't know what to look for? Crying or Very sad
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

That's what happens with everyone, including professionals. I can assure you, you will not find anything if you do not take it apart. Many good professionals have disassembled their work because it did not work. That's what makes them good.

I would research this a bit. Although I believe I'm correct, there may be others with different opinions.

To operate a transmission, at least two gear sets are engaged. There is a one way clutch for the first gear so when you get off the throttle, the vehicle will coast to a stop. If you put it in 1st gear, the additional clutch [1st gear/reverse?] is engaged so the engine will slow you down [vs freewheeling].

I hope this makes sense.

You've made it this far, why give up?
themadcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

thank you butcher. it looks like "I'm almost there"

danfromsyr: I'm going to try and adjust the throttle position today. I have a Vanagon transmission in a 73 bus, so the the shifter inside doesn't exactly line up with the letters lol. I still have the 73 shifter.

I will make sure the lever is all the way in park and adjust from there.

I guess next step is to drop the pan and adjust the manual valve?
I have a spare valve body I can tinker with before I get in there.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

the manual valve is adjusted by the throttle position
manual valve = Relay lever.. I call it a relay lever the repair manuals call it a manual valve

I'd be curious if the 1973 003 automatic shifter is the same 'throw' as the later 010 automatic.

mix and match parts gets Picasso performance
themadcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

so this morning I have no gears.

no reverse, no forward gears nothing. I guess I'll have to take the pan out and see what is going on?

Let me verify that the cable isn't snapped or kinked anywhere first.
themadcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Latest update.

When I mated the trans I destroyed the pump, I should've known better.
I ended up buying a used Audi 5000 trans with 48k miles on it.

I mated it to a 76 bus differential, governors seem similar.

I had to switch out the parking gear from the Audi 010 with my 76 auto, if not the differential wont mate to the trans. This is due to the center annulus being roughly 2mm higher on the audi parking gear.

I also had to swap the gear selector from my 76 with the Audi. This is because the Audi lever rides on the top and the cable mount is inwards towards the transmission. This required removing the valve body to gain access to the gear selector mechanism. Taking it out was easy, but putting back in wasn't a fun deal.

I had to use a roofing strap and bend it in to an "S" shape to facilitate the kickdown lever.

The bus is driving FANTASTIC.

I apologize for all the incorrect terminology lol
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Sounds like you are at the end of this journey and it works. Was it worth it? Maybe but that is what life is all about. Not all journeys are fun.

Glad to hear it is working great now. Hang around and share your experience when someone else has an issue.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

This thread is the best...the best. I mean it.

Anyhoo...I'm rebuilding an automatic diff section and swapping in a taller R&P. I'm having a hard time finding the pinion and diff output shaft bearings. I've pulled the diff bearings and they're French Timkens, but I'd like to replace them with FAG brand. BTW, these bearings are nearly immaculate. I have no clue about how many miles on this thing, but there's no pitting, galling or blueing at all. This is amazing, because the gear oil looks/smells like it's never been replaced.

The differential bearings appear to be part # 113517185C ?

The pinion bearings are an enduring mystery.

Is there a quality trans supply joint that has bearings for these autos? Most just seem to list rebuild kits for the trans section, but very little to do with the diff.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Thanks for the praise on the thread!

I still love http://wittrans.com

Their website is screwy, but download their catalog and call them--they have stuff that others do not. Their catalog ignores the 090 transaxle, so that is a problem, but I would call them.

Also, if you are confident in measuring the bearings, I've found good replacements here:

https://www.qualitybearingsonline.com

These folks helped me get some hard-to-find stuff for old BMW motorcycles.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

Pinion bearing 003 519 251. Quick search showed Weddle carries them.

https://weddleindustries.com/products/003-519-251/003-519-251
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Building a better Vanagon automatic transaxle Reply with quote

003 519 251/SKF/$24 and 113517185C/NTN/$9 are in stock at my warehouse.

PM me if I can help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 33

Jump to: