Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

As the team at SCP continues to drive new product development, we are excited to announce our Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit. These are 4 piston calipers with improved stopping power from our brake it and any of the other kits on the market.

https://smallcar.com/wilwood-front-disc-brake-kit-vanagon/

As Vanagon users, we are always looking for ways to improve, upgrade, explore what is possible. We have a rear kit coming in the next month to round out our performance brakes.

Fitment note:
-works with many 15" wheels (please post your fitment confirmations in the comments here!!)
-we offer a SCP upgrade version for existing G60 style customers

Thank you for the support!
Austin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

That's nice!

I have Smallcar front and rear brakes from 2009 and am curious about the caliper upgrade kit: https://smallcar.com/wilwood-caliper-upgrade-kit-vanagon/

Quote:
We have a rear kit coming in the next month to round out our performance brakes.

I need a rear disc brake with a parking brake that will hold a 5,000 lb van.
Not just when the pads are new & hairy, but even after 10,000 miles.
That's kinda difficult with a cable-operated disc brake and I am hopeful !

Also need a motion sensing alarm that screams at me if I drive off with the parking brake pulled.
See I don't have high confidence in the stopping power of a rear disc parking brake.
....but it's possible to hold the van parked, right?
This alarm that i want doesn't have to be tied to the vehicle speed - it can sense any van motion while the parking brake light is on.
Curious what that crooked finger feller thinks about that. Wink Laughing

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

I know what you mean by driving off with the handbrake on. Maybe something simple like signs "Is your handbrake off" Also "Is your anti-theft switch off ". After a while it should become innate. I wonder if that's how I get a nice gouge in the rotor?
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

This looks like the same kit boxeer was selling a couple years ago. I did all the research and had all the part numbers for this wilwood conversion somewhere, need to find it. Its a good vanagon option and really easy to change the pads.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
I know what you mean by driving off with the handbrake on. Maybe something simple like signs "Is your handbrake off" Also "Is your anti-theft switch off ". After a while it should become innate. I wonder if that's how I get a nice gouge in the rotor?

This is similar to what drivers do in racing. There’s enough to focus on that sometimes one thought goes “Poof” as soon as the starter cranks.

One common one is “New pads” to remind you need a few laps to scuff the brakes in.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

My concern about the brake kits is more into the future.....

The point will come that you need new rotors or brake pads.
Whose? What do you order? From where?

We've already seen older brake mods go the way of the dodo bird..... it is only a matter of time before this one does too.

Instead of buys pads ..... you need to buy the latest brake mod kit?

Maybe the owner who installed the kit will know the parts source, but what about the next or two or three owners into the future?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

It's not like getting quality parts for the stock system is particularly easy these days. They way I approached it was that the aftermarket kits that are out there have good support now and I can't predict availability of any particular replacement part more than a decade out. If the kits I installed get me through the next 10-15 years before becoming obsolete there will probably be new kits on the market then. Replacing the entire brake system every decade and a half doesn't sound like too high a cost to me.

Paul
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
That's nice!

I have Smallcar front and rear brakes from 2009 and am curious about the caliper upgrade kit: https://smallcar.com/wilwood-caliper-upgrade-kit-vanagon/

Quote:
We have a rear kit coming in the next month to round out our performance brakes.

I need a rear disc brake with a parking brake that will hold a 5,000 lb van.
Not just when the pads are new & hairy, but even after 10,000 miles.
That's kinda difficult with a cable-operated disc brake and I am hopeful !

Also need a motion sensing alarm that screams at me if I drive off with the parking brake pulled.
See I don't have high confidence in the stopping power of a rear disc parking brake.
....but it's possible to hold the van parked, right?
This alarm that i want doesn't have to be tied to the vehicle speed - it can sense any van motion while the parking brake light is on.
Curious what that crooked finger feller thinks about that. Wink Laughing

I’m the engineer working on the rear brake kit. I’ll keep the alarm request in mind. I’ve got a couple ideas that would be simply to implement. The upgrade kit will be a great option for you. I have not tested the wilwood fronts with the furling style rears yet though. I will soon. You’ll need an adjustable proportioning valve to get optimal performance. In the next weeks I’ll complete testing and have info on the site for setting the proportioning valve appropriately.
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
My concern about the brake kits is more into the future.....

The point will come that you need new rotors or brake pads.
Whose? What do you order? From where?

We've already seen older brake mods go the way of the dodo bird..... it is only a matter of time before this one does too.

Instead of buys pads ..... you need to buy the latest brake mod kit?

Maybe the owner who installed the kit will know the parts source, but what about the next or two or three owners into the future?

The beauty of this kit is that all the wear parts are readily available from us, Wilwood, and other sellers. Calipers and pads are Wilwood, rotors can be sourced through SCP but could easily be found elsewhere, hoses are manufactured by SCP but could be replaced by VW hoses or through SCP, the hubs and bracket are made by SCP but will outlast the van.
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

I hear the rear e-brake issue come up quite a lot, but I think you guys are getting us confused with our competitors. Our e-brakes work on all kits.

"What about replacement parts?"
This comment comes up a lot. We have done our best to future proof this by manufacturing hubs, brakes lines, and we have rotors made to our specification. Pads and calipers are from Wilwood who is a major player in aftermarket brakes as well. VW Stock left side calipers went out of stock nationally this fall, and we are now in a world where aftermarket parts will start to take over the "stock" replacement parts as they go the way of the Dodo.

We will continue to work hard to bring value to the community and innovate in ways that make a difference.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, but Ive never heard of Willwood until I read this thread.......

Learned something new today!

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but Ive never heard of Willwood until I read this thread.......

Wink

Link
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Wink

Link

Yeah…… probably.
Just out of touch with the aftermarket market. Mainly because the market just makes me yawn…….

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Wink

Link

Yeah…… probably.
Just out of touch with the aftermarket market. Mainly because the market just makes me yawn…….

Jay Leno has said he uses Willwoods on all of his resto modded cars ( but maybe you don’t know about him or his extensive car collection). They’re something of a gold standard. If OE calipers are disappearing this option is pretty good news.
skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

This looks like a solid option especially using wilwood calipers. Nice work!
My only questions is it seems in the photos that the wilwood calipers used are not quite deep enough to maximize the surface area of the rotor. If these are 288mm rotors I would I think you would want to maximize that surface area.

Whats the measurement between the caliper and usable rotor surface?

vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

Wilwood - great idea.

Caliper depth - could this be that SCP used smaller calipers to allow use of 15¨ rims? They seem to be one of the smaller calipers Wilwood offers.
On the other hand - 8 piston carbon-ceramic might be overkill
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

Wilwood is a very good aftermarket brake component vendor. I'm glad to see this kit's availability!

Perhaps Wilwood has a brake booster that might work for the Vanagon platform too.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
tdivan82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

Wilwood is top shelf stuff. Certainly more performant than a floating caliper. Easier to service too. Pads are likely available through any local motorsport shop.
In the gearbox: Swepco 202
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:

Perhaps Wilwood has a brake booster that might work for the Vanagon platform too.

Fantastic idea!
Some people call him Maurice...
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wilwood Front Disc Brake Kit: Vanagon Reply with quote

If i remember from my reseach, the brake pads can be removed without removing the full caliper. That is a huge pluse in my book. Dont know if its the same with the claipers shown.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: