Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Wheels from early VW/Porsche
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheels from early VW/Porsche Reply with quote

Has anyone ever adapted, cut/welded, etc the type 3 steering shaft to use an early VW/Porsche steering wheel? If so how? and were there other things that interfere like the turn signal cancelation, the column itself, etc?

I have a wild itch. I really like my interior, but I'd really like a different steering wheel. I don't want to go with an Empi GT on this car, I don't think the wood will look right

Ultimately, I want to go with one of these, all Split/Oval spline pattern...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And Ideally, dream steering wheel for my notch is this VDM Wheel

Maybe I'm crazy... But that one would look perfect with my interior

Maybe I'll just go with an incorrect early white wheel with the full circle ring...

Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grafting in a new spline end is no problem whatsoever. You will want to have the new wheel on hand so that you can tailor the length of the steering column so that it fits right once it's installed. That way you don't have a large gap between the column and the back of the wheel. This also ensures your blinker cancel feature works right since that can be a real drag if you have a gap and that doesn't work correctly. Below is my shortened dual stalk, '74 Super Beetle column.

I personally like the first wheel in that line-up, but I have a thang for Porsche stuff. Laughing I chose a 930 Turbo wheel for my car and I absolutely love it. Below is a really old pic.

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ISP West has adapters that will do the job. That might be preferable to cutting the column shaft.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
I think ISP West has adapters that will do the job. That might be preferable to cutting the column shaft.

I've never seen one. I'd think there would be a market since late model (60-70's) could use it. I think it would have to be a full boss, kinda to Nate's point. all the early Vw/Porsche wheels are very flat. I would want the wheel in the same place, and there would be considerable gap without it... Starting to sound real expensive to do a one off, wish I had access to a machine shop and someone with skills
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize you are striving for either a genuine 356 wheel or a '50's period aftermarket wheel, but have you considered an ivory "banjo" wheel like this one? http://www.piersideparts.net/CBI-235.html
With the hub adapter going straight onto your existing column, you can switch wheels within 1/2 hour.

Many years ago I had played with the idea of mounting a 3-spoke aftermarket wheel to a VW steering wheel's hub. I noticed that the 3 holes in the aftermarket wheel's center section lined up with the 3 holes in the VW's hub for the horn screws. You could pick up a mangled original Vw steering wheel like the kind you have for next to nothing. If you'd cut the center spokes off both sides of the wheel, you'd end up with a round hub. Next, grind down the metal outer lip of the hub so that the aftermarket wheel sat flush. Fasten the aftermarket wheel to the VW hub using short metric screws into the 3 horn screw holes as well as the original factory large center nut+washer. Then you'd have a proper factory turn signal collar, and enough depth away from the steering column so that the aftermarket wheel should clear the blinker stalk. Finish the sides of the VW hub with epoxy, sand to shape, and paint it either black or ivory to match the aftermarket wheel.

I never got beyond the concept stage, and ended up just getting a Grant hub adapter kit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: