Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

westy on the east coast auto train.......info experiences
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: westy on the east coast auto train.......info experiences Reply with quote

anyone been there done that

thinking of a spring run to Keys , thought it be cool to kick back on the train for some of the miles

also any favorite sites to stop for the nite or two on the cruise and in the keys leaving from NE area
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not cheap travel.

My parents did it years ago with their 73 Westy when my Dad was very ill.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah been there done that.. twice.. nice break ti the 850mi of I-95 you save your self from the dredgery of.

note that booking is often like an airline method. odd days and well in advance gets the best rate..
one thing I learned was to take it the opposite of the snow birds.. so north in the fall/winter and south in spring.. took it north one May and it was packed with unstable before liquor silver haired patrons..

if you go off season there's more room between the seats..

as to the westy book it as a standard sized vehicle.
Use AAA and it'll save on the person ticket but not your VWs ticket.
plan to put all bikes/etc from the back rack in the interior.. they use good but cheap help and the train cars are very tight quarters.. heck I folded my mirrors in, they drive straight in and straight out..

there's a decent meal on board and a snack/bar car.. also a continental breakfast in the am so get your $ worth by using these services. the silver haired mob scowls at younger folk who took the early dinner seating.. (dinner seating is asked/assigned at check in. early dining goes 1st)
but then they clear out the bar car and the continental breakfast too..

seating is on 2 decks, with the upper deck being the walk thru for all the cars.. alot of pedestrian traffic. request a lower deck seat if you can when you book the tix. the bathrooms are in the lower floor anyways. though you can't see as well from the lower floor.. then again the train travels thru the night.. (south to north all I know.)

if you have a standard transmission be sure to tell them that when you drop off to the valet.. not all can drive stick.

you should figure on turning off the propane tank, but none of ours (5 westys) were ever even checked.

it's a fun sideline.. though at $2gal it's not as much a savings as when it was $4 for my last use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: westy on the east coast auto train.......info experienc Reply with quote

the joker wrote:

thinking of a spring run to Keys , thought it be cool to kick back on the train for some of the miles

also any favorite sites to stop for the nite or two on the cruise and in the keys leaving from NE area

I have taken the auto train several times with a car and loved it. It was fun and relaxing. Recommend getting a bedroom with private bathroom. They have a lounge car and I believe still show some movies. They serve dinner and breakfast. On one trip I took they had a free wine tasting. I am planning to take my van north this summer on it. Several others on here have taken the Autotrain with success. Based on my reading of the AutoTrain website the Westy should qualify as a regular car due to size. What month are you coming to Florida? It starts getting pretty warm in April and even mid 80's in March.
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some friends used the auto train on a Fl to Maine trip with their Westy last summer, they loved it .

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
slackin' at work
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done the auto train several round trips with both mine and my wife's
daily drivers (non westy) and absolutely love it!

I live about 1.5 hours from the northern station and travel about 2.5
hours south in FL and can't get enough. I drove the entire distance once.
just once. actually just one way and said F-that and on the return trip
we booked our first auto train.

I've only rode in the sleeper cabins. private bathroom! it's pricey for the
rooms, but I justified it due to it's comparable price of flying and renting
a car for a week (for a family of 3).

my one tip if you get a room: bring your own beer for the ride. Wink
`84 MK1 GTI
`76 Brasilia
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: westy on the east coast auto train.......info experienc Reply with quote

to add to your looking for other suggestions..
some of my favorites.. depending on when in spring travel.

Edisto Beach S.P South Carolina nice ocean beach access (1/2 campground)
Hunting Island S.P South Carolina (out dated restrooms) nice ocean beach access
Skiddaway S.P. Savannah, Georgia
huntington beach S.P. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (top end rest rooms nice ocean beach access ) nice access to Brookgreen gardens and just out of the Myrtle beach commerce.
Outer Banks North Carolina.
assateague national park (maryland)
I've heard amelia Island/fernandina beach is a must stop, so it's on my next NY to FL travel plan.

the joker wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: