Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will 16" Factory steels fit 2wd Westy?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
delta9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Will 16" Factory steels fit 2wd Westy? Reply with quote

An out of area friend has a set of 16" factory steel wheels from a Syncro I can have but neither of us know if they'll fit my '89 2wd Westy. Any help much appreciated and yes I searched! Very Happy Very Happy
WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Will 16" Factory steels fit 2wd Westy? Reply with quote

delta9007 wrote:
An out of area friend has a set of 16" factory steel wheels from a Syncro I can have but neither of us know if they'll fit my '89 2wd Westy. Any help much appreciated and yes I searched! Very Happy Very Happy

Just and FYI, there is an existing thread for wheel fitment questions.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203519
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of reason they would not fit, unless they have tires mounted that are too tall. Many syncro owners opt for taller tires along with their lift.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are kind of on the narrow side 5.5" IIRC.
Big brake kits will be a issue since the rim center is flatter than most options.
What tires are you going to run to keep from getting overgeared too much?

They are cool from the originality side but I have doubts that I would run them on my cars with other lighter/stronger/better looking options available.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will bolt right on, but you need to use +2 size tires to keep your outer diameter close to the original.

Tire Rack: "Large diameter wheels and wide, low profile tires go together and show up everywhere from America's new car showrooms to its roads, tracks and trails. So whether the vehicle came from the assembly line or was upgraded after it was delivered, Plus Sizing (also called "Inch-Up" sizing in other parts of the world) probably played a role in its tire size choice. Plus Sizing allows tires and wheels to make a fashion statement while providing a functional improvement.

Plus Sizing dates back to the 1970s when Plus One and Plus Two fitments were the available choices. Drivers could upgrade their cars from relatively narrow 13-, 14- or 15-inch wheels and tires up to wider 14-, 15- or 16-inch combinations. While Plus One and Plus Two are still popular today, the starting point now typically begins with 15- or 16-inch wheel diameters and grows from there."

So if the OEM size was 205/70-14, you'll need something in the range of 215/60-16.

You also need tires load-rated for the heavier Westy, so your choices are a little limited

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
delta9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
They are kind of on the narrow side 5.5" IIRC.
Big brake kits will be a issue since the rim center is flatter than most options.
What tires are you going to run to keep from getting overgeared too much?

They are cool from the originality side but I have doubts that I would run them on my cars with other lighter/stronger/better looking options available.

Thank you for the feedback. Main motivation was the price..Free! I'll have to research my tire options.
delta9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
They will bolt right on, but you need to use +2 size tires to keep your outer diameter close to the original.

Tire Rack: "Large diameter wheels and wide, low profile tires go together and show up everywhere from America's new car showrooms to its roads, tracks and trails. So whether the vehicle came from the assembly line or was upgraded after it was delivered, Plus Sizing (also called "Inch-Up" sizing in other parts of the world) probably played a role in its tire size choice. Plus Sizing allows tires and wheels to make a fashion statement while providing a functional improvement.

Plus Sizing dates back to the 1970s when Plus One and Plus Two fitments were the available choices. Drivers could upgrade their cars from relatively narrow 13-, 14- or 15-inch wheels and tires up to wider 14-, 15- or 16-inch combinations. While Plus One and Plus Two are still popular today, the starting point now typically begins with 15- or 16-inch wheel diameters and grows from there."

So if the OEM size was 205/70-14, you'll need something in the range of 215/60-16.

You also need tires load-rated for the heavier Westy, so your choices are a little limited

Excellent info, thank you. I currently have the 14" steelies with Hankooks.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Westy at times takes some abuse on these forums for various reasons but on the other hand they are often referred to for some excellent technical advice.

I will refer you to GoWesty yet again, this time for their knowledge about 16" steel wheels and tires.......

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=24134&category_id=24091&category_parent_id=

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others say, they will physically bolt on, but you will be limited to narrow tyres, like 205/60R-16. Even 215 is on the wide side for a 5,5 inch rim.

These Wheels are desireable for an original 16 inch syncro owner, and as such may be worth something as a trade, however for Your van, you will probably be better off with some Mercedes steel wheels. They are available in 7x16 et30 and many other dimensions. Look in the "what Wheels fit thread" for details.
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free is the perfect price - go for it! I would hang on to them though - they're about the toughest wheels you can get for a T25, and all the offsets are perfect.

As others have said you just need to watch your overall diameter so that you don't get tyre rubbing. 195/65R16 or 205/60R16 are the same size as the standard 185R14 tyres so you could probably go a bit bigger than that, but get opinions from people who have done it first. We're running these wheels on our Westy Syncro with 215/70R16 BFG ATs so you may even find that this size will fit your 2WD.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: