Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Registry
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
91syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Registry Reply with quote

Moderator note: To enter your T3 Vanagon/Transporter into the Registry, click here (click the Continue button at the bottom of that page). Unlike what is proposed in the text below, your entire VIN is not required, only the sequential production number.

I had a crazy idea...what if we were to compile a registry of vanagons. There is a Syncro Registry (around 800), a Subaru powered Vanagon Registry (around 400) but that's about it. The Syncro Registry is great, however not sortable and rather tedious to navigate, and I believe the Subaru powered registry is defunct (historical only).

My thought is put something together including VINs (It might be fun to see who's van rolled off the production line next to yours, or useful for research while shopping for vans). Just a thought, and maybe a crazy one at that.

I think to start off, I would build it in excel and update by hand as people contribute but eventually it would be great to find someone to host it (ideas?).

I was thinking not just VIN, but something like this:
Purchase info
purchased from (private party, dealer)
purchased in (city, state)
mileage at purchase

van info
owner
VIN
type (tin top, westy, syncro, syncro westy, Wolfsburg, etc)
mods
power plant

Would there be much interest in this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few of these come and go for other marques - lots of different formats and reasons.

IMO, one of the best (because it is actually quite useful) is for Jaguars. It is open so anyone can post info, thus even vans one sees for sale (e.g. on eBay) can be added with whatever photos and details are known.

It is searchable by VIN or other numbers, also easy to browse to see cars in chronological order.

This is an example of one portion of it:

http://www.xkedata.com/

But... it is a big job to pull that off.
91syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is way beyond the complexity I am thinking (at least to start with) but glad you shared it with me. It gives me some good ideas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny this post came up. Just yesterday i was thinking something similar but more basic i think. Just a 2d map of the globe with a dot for every van or syncro still rollin. Maybe click the dot for more info on van if owner presents it. Would be cool to see where the concentrations are.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Its funny this post came up. Just yesterday i was thinking something similar but more basic i think. Just a 2d map of the globe with a dot for every van or syncro still rollin. Maybe click the dot for more info on van if owner presents it. Would be cool to see where the concentrations are.

Check the Ghia forum, they have exactly this concept you describe.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579883

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah like that. Only thing id change would be to just make a dot no little balloon above . So why dont we have that too?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Compiling a Vanagon Registry with VINs Reply with quote

It's not so crazy. I've got a Cabriolet Registry going: http://www.cabby-info.com/Registry/registry.htm . But, there were far less Cabriolets built than T3's. Wink

91syncro wrote:
My thought is put something together including VINs

Lots of folks out there don't even like their license plates visible, so requesting the entire VIN is asking a lot. For a registry database, all you really need is the year (10th digit out of 17), and the sequential production number.

As for interest, I'll gladly add my van if/when a registry is started. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, why are the VINs needed to do this.

Syncro.org has a huge database and I dont remember needing to give a VIN.
91syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why are the VINs needed to do this.

Syncro.org has a huge database and I dont remember needing to give a VIN.

as stated before, its pure curiousity as to what vans rolled off the line next to mine. beyond curiosity, the entire VIN could be useful in historical efforts. I am not hell bent on collecting complete VINs, the last 6 digits and preceding characters would be better than nothing. I am not sure I understand the issue with publishing your VIN, but certainly understand people wanting to be cautious.

Syncro.org does have a syncro registry, but it is limited to 3-4 vans per page and not sortable. i want to be able to capture vanagons not just syncros or westies.

Not sure how to start it other than to start asking for people to post as much information as they are willing to share about their vans. once i get an excel spreadsheet started we find someone willing to host it (already have a couple offers).

so here goes:

1991 Syncro Westy (LHD)
Purchased in 10/98 at Wilder VW, port angeles WA with 59,000 miles
Current mileage: 243,000
VIN: MG010106

Last edited by 91syncro on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well, myself, two clients and my County Clerk know firsthand why listing VINs on the internet is not a good idea.

I will gladly inform interested parties as too why via Pmail but I'm sure many will see why.

Just trying to help and save a few time and money if not so friendlies get a hold of the numbers.

I will butt out of your efforts here.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that full VIN is unnecessary and not something you want floating around. You could simply use the year of manufacture and then the 6 digit production number from the end of the VIN. This would give you a nice sortable list.

Last edited by dart330 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
91syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, and with that...lets get this started. last 6 digits and two preceding alpha characters only.

InSyncro...PM me, i am interested in the reasoning behind keeping your VIN private (although anyone can walk up to you car and pull it).
91syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this idea doesnt have much traction. Thanks to those who gave feedback, but I guess the idea of a registry isnt all that interesting to most.
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always a weird thing to start. Some folks may want to stay attached to a vehicle, others want it gone and never to be bothered again. I would love to catch up with some of the previous owners of my vans. If the registry had the the depth of the original owners I would be in. Starting one now will have value if people use it for twenty years. If some body was building data into your VIN entry, back filling owners, that might gain attention!
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
OK, well, myself, two clients and my County Clerk know firsthand why listing VINs on the internet is not a good idea.

Care to share?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Care to share?

So someone sees your van parked on the street and looks up your contact details in Buddy's VIN Registry...

Can you see how that might not be the best thing to happen?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would something like this work? Mostly drop down menus. Google docs version of excel. I could make a form that just dumps into the spreadsheet file instead (probably make for cleaner data).

EDIT:
I deleted the initial link that used to be here as some people were still trying to use it...please use the one in my signature.

Last edited by geo_tonz on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:29 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My info is in the sig line...
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo_tonz wrote:
Would something like this work? Mostly drop down menus. Google docs version of excel. I could make a form that just dumps into the spreadsheet file instead (probably make for cleaner data).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ug5DC2Ob8dOKbTekebq6WZGbHo5F7wlwkYLhaLa_jiU/edit?usp=sharing

On the right track there. Cool Paint color(s) column would be nice to see added.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kamzcab86"]
geo_tonz wrote:

******Link Removed, please use the one in my signature******

On the right track there. Cool Paint color(s) column would be nice to see added.

I guess a transmission column too?

Probably should ad some more engines too but thought maybe a lot of folk might not know if they had an MV or DJ or whatever... wasn't going to put aftermarket in...just OE

Was concentrating on what was OE for the van so I didn't put in a mods column, figuring people might put that in "other Notes"

Last edited by geo_tonz on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: