Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone Reply with quote

Hiya, I live up in Lancaster, CA. The engine on my Manx-clone went to crap (flywheel loose, dowel pins ovaled, etc). I need a replacement engine, but am not sure what I should be looking for. Are there any good resources for a simple 1600/1641 that does not cost $3k+. I was hoping in the <$1500 range, but it seems my core isn't worth crap, so everything online is $3k+.

Is it possible to buy something or build something from scratch in the $1000 to $1500 range that will get me up and running again?

Also, is my current engine worth anything?

If there is anyone up in the Antelope Valley area, I would love to talk with you. Thanks! -Rob

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by BigPile on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone Reply with quote

If the engine case is still useable, your cheapest route is likely to just rebuild what you have. I'd recommend reading some of the engine rebuild threads on this site to get a feel for things if you haven't already; the "grapes of wrath" rebuild thread is pretty good for showing what can be done on a low budget.
BigPile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone Reply with quote

From consulting a couple of "craigslist" rebuilders, my case is "crap", and I don't have anything worth rebuilding.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone Reply with quote

The pictures of the outside of your engine don't help much in determining the fitness of the components on the inside of the engine. Someone needs to take it apart and inspect the parts to see what is reusable.

Try to find a rebuilder near you. Go there and talk to someone. They may have a used case or even a used engine that could be a good start.

And just to add a bit of realism, It will be difficult to build a $1000 engine when a new case alone is about $800.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone Reply with quote

Stay the hell of craigslist. Find somebody here on the Samba where you can search their feedback and opinions of their work.

Take your engine to a VW shop and have them evaluate your engine. $1500 can get your engine a good quality rebuild. $1000 rebuild is butcher shop prices.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone Reply with quote

All of your peripherals can be transferred over - Did a fast look. Mofoco sells a rebuilt long block for 1899...Seeing rebuilders in classifieds from 1200 and up.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone Reply with quote

If the engine still runs good you can drill new holes to keep it 4 dowell.

Someone on here probably knows where you can get the tool to do this.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone Reply with quote

As weasel said - the crank may be savable. If not a used/checked out crank is $100 and flywheel only an added $50. Engine needs to be taken apart to really determine extent of damage. Find a local VW club and consult with member there.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone Reply with quote

I would suggest you figure out what caused the problem lest you spend the money and end up right back in the same boat pouring good money after bad!
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a 1600/1641 engine for my manx clone Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:
If the engine still runs good you can drill new holes to keep it 4 dowell.

Someone on here probably knows where you can get the tool to do this.

I suggested this to do while the engine was still together so you can run it until a later date to fix it right, unless the engine is totally dead now?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: