Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Ordered the new Go Westy printed instrument cluster foil replacement harness kit and it seems they have gotten it right here for the most part. There is a bit of assembly required and a retrofit for the early 80-84 14 pin connector. A few of the pins have to be switched around to match the new harness connector. No big deal really. Its easy to pop the factory connector open and swap pins. The voltage regulator and leds have to be installed on the circuit board before screwing it to the cluster.

Heres the installed product on the bench *EDIT* The brown and white wires for the coolant gauge are switched the wrong way here. caught that before installation.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And a closer shot on the installed circuitboard

The lighting.

The front shot of the early cluster with analog clock. I painted the needles orange while I had it apart.

I have a few more things to do to the van before I can fire it up and show it working in all its glory but here it is so far!

Last edited by t3 kopf on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of the connection to the vanagon wiring harness?
That is usually the worst part of entire interface.

We really have to give GOwesty a lot of credit for support like this. Although
PCB's like this are my expertise, they still take lots of time an effort to develop to this stage.
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work.
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

http://facebook.com/pittsburghvanagonclub
https://www.youtube.com/minskmade

my super slow 1987 sunroof syncro rebuild
https://goo.gl/photos/7e9MZhHJxGvvv1Tm7

VANAGON STICKERS
https://www.etsy.com/shop/pigeonink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my 1984 Wolfsburg Westy cluster (it has a tach) with the GoWesty cluster harness installed.

The GoWesty harness to the VW plug just plugs right in. I didn't have to switch any pins. GoWesty did a nice job on this. You also get led lights for your instruments.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work guys! I've been wondering - do the LED lamps dim with the dimmer?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have pic of the front side of the panel?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Yes the instrument lights dim properly. The lights are a nice bright white which make the instruments more ledgible at night. The led's are not the blueish white but a pure white. Very nice. I don't currently have a picture of the front of the instruments while installed.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1vw4x4 wrote:
Do you have a picture of the connection to the vanagon wiring harness?
That is usually the worst part of entire interface.

ditto
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westified wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Yes the instrument lights dim properly. The lights are a nice bright white which make the instruments more ledgible at night. The led's are not the blueish white but a pure white. Very nice. I don't currently have a picture of the front of the instruments while installed.

Thanks!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westified wrote:
Here is a picture of my 1984 Wolfsburg Westy cluster (it has a tach) with the GoWesty cluster harness installed.

I bet that workbench makes cleanup a breeze Laughing

Does the harness include a connection for backlighting the LCD clock?
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Westified wrote:

I bet that workbench makes cleanup a breeze Laughing

Does the harness include a connection for backlighting the LCD clock?

LOL. Yes cleanup is a breeze, just open the lid.

The LCD clock is nicely backlit. Regarding the 14 pin VW plug, you just plug in the GoWesty Harness to the VW plug. Very easy. I will see if I have any pictures of it later tonight.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must first note that the original picture of the installed harness has the brown and white wires switched on the coolant temp gauge. I caught that before i put it on the van.
I hooked it up today and shes alive! As soon as i hooked up the battery, the analog clock started ticking away, which it has never done since i owned the van. The panel illumination is great and works with the dimmer as well as my new oil pressure gauge. I have some more to do before i can fire up the van but i did have one issue.
When i turn the key, the led for the coolant level warning doesnt self test like it did before. I grounded the gauge sender wire and verified that the gauge itself does work but the led no longer lights. This could have something to do with the ground source for the led. On the 84 stock 14 pin harness, pins 2 and 5 are ground which i already had spliced together before. To connect to the GW harness, pin 5 is for the clock leaving only pin 3 to ground which is switched from its original pin 2 position and the original pin 5 ground has nowhere to go. I verified several times that i had the pins in my stock connector matched to the GW harness side. That leaves pins 4, 9 and 12 blank because there is no glow plug, tach, or dynamic oil pressure system. I will have to dig further to figure out what is going on with the coolant warning led. All the gauges and lights do work great however which is a great improvement.

Heres the GW harness side

And connected to the harness

The front of the panel without the cover on

And my nicely lit oil pressure gauge

I didnt take a pic of the PCB led side before installation, so sorry for that but its pretty easy to put together and the legs of the leds snap into place to make them easy to fit in their holes.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also did this for my 84 Doka, great instructions, easy to follow best upgrade I did yet considering that I ruined the OEM foil constantly trying to get my LED bulb upgrades to work with the foil connections. The LED bulbs (not of this kit, but the new plug like ones) end up being so hard to get in the OEM dash hole that you can easily ruin the foil.

ANNNYWAY....

Some thoughts on this GW kit.

First, when you get to the point of pushing in the little LED bulbs for the center turn signal/hi beam/oil area, push the pins in hard (not carelessly) enough to hear and feel a snap into place; when I first did it there was a resistance that made me think it would not work and that I would have to solder the pins in. Glad I never tried that, but with a little persistence I had those pins in securely.

Second, if you are partial to certain colored lights in your dash, be sure to order the special LED bulbs, (FOR THIS KIT) when you order the dash wiring kit; it comes with white bulbs. I like the blue look.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

×2 on the led fitment. They should have included that in the directions. I had the same thought of soldering them till i realized they snap in with a little force
johnnygreenham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed one of these kits when they first came out last year. Cured all my problems with the blue foil I had. There were some issues at first with the tach board. I fitted a Wolfsberg 85 gas tach, run from a digital decoder of my AAZ diesel install. Initially the tach would not work with the new kit. This was due to the tach board being designed for 95% of the tach gauges out there. There are a few that have the tach connection upside down but the internal connections are still the same. This means that when the Gowesty board is installed, all the connections are reversed. A few emails back and forth to Jesse at Gowesty (who was brilliant to deal with and passionate) and we came up with a solution. Cut the two out wires in between the board and the clip, switch them, solder and heat shrink. The middle pin being used needs to be removed by desoldering and extracting. Then use a small jumper wire on the back side to jump the terminal to the other unused pin. Gowesty now have a few modified boards for the few that will run into this problem. Just ask and they will be glad to send you the correct board with your order. Its a super simple fix and shouldn't stop anyone from installing these new kits. They really are very nice.
Here are a few pictures I sent Jesse when I realized what was going on.

Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue that Johnnygreenham had regarding the tachometer. It appears that the 1984 Westy Wolfsburg and 1985 vans with the tach have the little plastic clip that holds the GoWesty board in is upside down from the 1986 and on vans. I talked to Jesse at GoWesty who was very helpful. We discussed various options. I decide the easiest route was remove the plastic clip and then the tachometer board can be installed in the correct orientation. I just used a wire cutter and off the clip came. The tach board plugs in and is fairly snug. Jesse suggested I epoxy it but, I decided to use a little RTV silicone so it can be removed if need be and it is holding just fine and the tach works perfectly. Here is a photo.

David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I am about to install this kit onto the instrument cluster of my 1989 GL and I have a question. In the directions, in step 2 of the first page it states: "First determine if you have the stock dynamic oil pressure system. (9-pin plug on the back of the speedometer)

There is then a process in which a switch on the Gowesty board is either flipped or not, depending upon whether or not the stock dynamic oil pressure system is present or not.

I know that I may be over-thinking this, as I tend to do, however, I want to be certain that I get this step correct.

To me it looks as though my unit does not have the described 9-pin plug on the back of the speedometer, however I cant seem to find any photos online in which to make a comparison with mine to be certain. I imagine that if I did have a 9-pin plug then I would see a clip coming from the speedometer side, just as I do on the TAC side.

By looking at the back of my unit It would appear that I DO NOT have a stock dynamic oil pressure system, as I do not see the described (9-pin plug on the back of the speedometer).

Am I Correct?

jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Marquis wrote:
By looking at the back of my unit It would appear that I DO NOT have a stock dynamic oil pressure system, as I do not see the described (9-pin plug on the back of the speedometer).

Am I Correct?

No, you do have it, like all 86+ vans. The oil pressure monitor is hidden inside the speedometer housing.
If you look at your first photo, the 4 + 2 little crimps that go through the foil are connected to a single 9-pins header - that can't be seen from that angle..

I'll see if I have a picture.

Edit: here's the backside of that part of the foil:
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaah, I see.... Thank you Sir !!

I will now proceed accordingly...
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my new GW cluster wiring kit on the Dash Cluster today. A straight forward job really. Just READ the directions well before starting the project.
You have to nip the LED's to 2 different lengths , read well and cut once. I had a somewhat hard time getting my Tach plug in. I ended up taking the Stainless locking clip back off of the board and install it onto the Tach and then installed the clip once installed.
Put in in my truck and have no turn signal lighting. I switched bulbs and no difference. I will re visit on Monday ,just curious if any one else has experienced the same thing.
Very well thought out and it is nice to have all of dash lights back again. I think the guys(and girls) have hit a home run here. Not cheap but its nice to have a quality replacement part.

Stacy

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: