Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of installing the GW printed circuit board in my 1990 multivan. I'm just starting and have pulled the instrument cluster, but it looks to me like I've got some creative wiring going on here.

The two sets of wires that are attached to the red and yellow bulbs, should those wires have been part of the main plug on the cluster? And if so, any thoughts on how this will affect the install ?

Thanks all

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

I think the wires are stand alone. Looks like you have an aftermarket engine? I see a VSS
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, yes I have a 1.8T and the VSS, from GoWesty.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Ok then you are good. Guessing VSS going into speedo, then check engine light should not be part of blue foil
tgraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Thank for your help, got everything back together and working as expected. Nice to have gauges again!
OSIDWST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

I recently received a gift of the GVW-255-919-059 subject kit for my 1984 VW Westy.

Using the enclosed instructions and the GoWesty video library, I installed all the parts, but am now having difficulty in the last phase of the process in reconnecting to the vehicle electrical connection. Specifically, switching the wires in the factory white connector kit.

I have watched the video dozens of times and read and reread the instructions, yet remain uncertain as to how to proceed.

The instructions and video indicate I should match wire color in the new harness by switching the wires around in the factory white connector kit.

However, I am flummoxed as to how to do so when the factory white connector kit only has 12 wires, 2 of which are brown ground wires, while the GoWesty Cluster Harness Connector has 14 wires, one of which is white which is not one of the wire colors in the factory white connector kit.

If, as per the instructions, I am to splice together the two brown ground wires, there would then only be 11 connection points in the factory white connector kit into which to plug the 14 wire connection points of the GoWesty Cluster Harness Connector.
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

You should call Go Westy, they are usually very helpful.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

I also installed the GoWesty kit. It worked great but all of a sudden my oil light remains on, my tach and digital clock stopped working. Anyone else have similar problems ? I am not low on oil!
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Nikkoleto wrote:
I also installed the GoWesty kit. It worked great but all of a sudden my oil light remains on, my tach and digital clock stopped working. Anyone else have similar problems ? I am not low on oil!

I had intermittent problems when I first installed mine and found that the wiring plug to the original connector can move a little and needs to be pushed in harder.
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Thanks Mellow Yellow.. I will check it out
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Has anyone used this kit with a Subaru 2.5 swap? I’m wondering if I’ll need to do anything special with the tach circuit.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
The Gockleys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Nikkoleto wrote:

I had intermittent problems when I first installed mine and found that the wiring plug to the original connector can move a little and needs to be pushed in harder.

I have the same oil light on problem after running well for a year with the new cluster. Added a new oil sender and wire in the engine to no avail, so will try resettting the connector. Thanks!
The Gockleys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

I ended up having a bad wire from the oil sender. New circuit board working perfectly.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
I have installed an oil pressure send relocation manifold so now have high and low oil pressure switches - just need to install wiring.

I am trying to find the terminals that go inside the white instrument harness plug in the van that the Gowesty harness plugs into. The terminals crimp onto the wires have two little "fingers" that are the contacts inside the plug but I can't find anywhere that sells them (in Australia) because I don't know what they are called. Can anyone help?

In case anyone is looking for these in the future. These connectors can be purchased from the dealer. They come pre crimped onto a wire. One on either side, so you have two total.

Here is the part number
000-979-102-E

plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

This summer I installed a Cluster Master kit into the '84. As anticipated, it went in easy and works perfect. The TOUGHEST thing was to toss the old blue foil into the trash bin.
Buh bye : )
But it did not stop the yearning for a 100% modern cluster made from new, non-broken plastic. Maybe my dream will come true...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

FWIW- another option for foil replacement kits:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2367183

I'm keeping this in mind just in case...

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

So I installed the GW kit about a year ago. Every now and again my tach would either stop working or become erratic. A simple thump on top of the dash corrected it 95% of the time. I had time one day and took the cluster out and insured everything was tight and installed correctly. Still have the same issue. Called GW and was told I must have installed it wrong. I tore it back down and put it back together. Still doing it. Called GW again and basically was told to pack sand. any suggestions? Its getting annoying

61' Double Cab-restored driver
91 SYNCRO
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

There are a few of us who have eliminated the foil by harvesting the key elements and wiring it together. Did this and it works like factory. My tach stopped so it was time, plus I had to fiddle with it just because.
Before odo windows re opened.

Takes a bit of work, but was satisfying to do.

Duncan
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
FWIW- another option for foil replacement kits:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2367183
I'm keeping this in mind just in case...

I know this is an older post, but I just installed this kit yesterday. My 87 Syncro has a tachometer and the digital clock, so it looks a little different than in that old ad. Here is the website for the specific kit I installed: https://www.slowbridgeinnovation.com/product-page/instrument-cluster-repair-kit which cost $110 US shipped from Taiwan. He also sells an upgraded clock which you can add to the kit. It took about an hour total, including removing and reinstalling the cluster in the van. It works great, even with the plasma gauge face upgrade (from T3 Technique) I did.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: GW Instrument foil replacement, NEW design Reply with quote

Time for this upgrade methinks. Enough gremlins popping up that it makes sense before jumping into more stuff.

Since these have been out for awhile, any consensus on whether one kit - GW v. Vanagon.org - is better than the other?

Price is same now, so any difference in performance or longevity?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: