Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake bleeding with body off?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Back to the original posters question of bleeding with the body off - absolutely!

It's a lot easier to get to things and see what you are doing.

Also, there are plenty of reservoir ideas. There are also lots of reservoirs that mount directly on the master cylinder. That also works very well when the body is off the car. Dune buggys, sand rails and formula cars often use that system.

I've seen those reservoirs that mount directly onto the M/C, but always thought they'd be a bitch to get to, to refill, unless you removed the gas tank each time? Also, do they fit right onto the M/C without any adapters or modifications? This is something I may seriously consider...
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacLeod Willy wrote:
67 must have been the year for safety
Mandatory seatbelts
Reverse lights
DC masters
and I believe 4way flashers

Four way in 66, but the rest above and in addition a collapsible steering column for 67.. All Dept of Transportation new laws. Some cars " Like Cadillac " used dual circuit brakes since 1962.

VW's description on dual brake operation;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/67changes/page1.jpg
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
drscope wrote:
Back to the original posters question of bleeding with the body off - absolutely!

Also, there are plenty of reservoir ideas. There are also lots of reservoirs that mount directly on the master cylinder. That also works very well when the body is off the car. Dune buggys, sand rails and formula cars often use that system.

I've seen those reservoirs that mount directly onto the M/C, but always thought they'd be a bitch to get to, to refill, unless you removed the gas tank each time? Also, do they fit right onto the M/C without any adapters or modifications? This is something I may seriously consider...

It depends on which dual circuit master cylinder you end up purchasing, if you go with a German ATE you will need a rabbit reservoir and if you go with an FTE you can use a Volvo reservoir or repro's from CIP1/Empi/?. If you do a search in this forum for rabbit reservoir you will see a hundred posts on different ways people have done it. With mine I have an ATE MC with the rabbit reservoir and plan to run the original in the spare tire well feeding the rabbit reservoir and also for aesthetics. No pics yet but should have the pan done before spring.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fla2smoker wrote:
It depends on which dual circuit master cylinder you end up purchasing, if you go with a German ATE you will need a rabbit reservoir and if you go with an FTE you can use a Volvo reservoir or repro's from CIP1/Empi/?. If you do a search in this forum for rabbit reservoir you will see a hundred posts on different ways people have done it. With mine I have an ATE MC with the rabbit reservoir and plan to run the original in the spare tire well feeding the rabbit reservoir and also for aesthetics. No pics yet but should have the pan done before spring.

So.....this only works on dual circuit M/C's? Mine is a single circuit...
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until 1953 the reservoir was mounted on top of the master.

Yep, it's a real pain to get to, and I wouldn't like that set up on my street car. But it would be a convenient way to deal with the task at hand while the body is off.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:

and then you have a reservoir that is buried under a fuel tank. yeah, that makes sense... Rolling Eyes
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
drscope wrote:

and then you have a reservoir that is buried under a fuel tank. yeah, that makes sense... Rolling Eyes

In this case we are talking about a car with the body off.

Also know your VW history. When hydraulic brakes were first introduced to the beetle, the reservoir was on top of the master cylinder.

And yes it is a pain to get to when the body is on for the common home mechanic working with a floor jack and jack stands. But for the more professional mechanic who has a lift it isn't so bad. Pull off the left front wheel and you have access.

Then you also have to consider how often do you really look at things in the reservoir anyway? Once a year maybe? Most folks don't have a look until the pedal goes to the floor, so the convenience of having the reservoir where you can easily get to it really isn't that big of a deal.

The suggestion was in response to the OP asking about bleeding the brakes while the body was off the car and this is a way to help get that done. Latter once the project has progressed and the body goes on it's no big deal to pop the reservoir off and use the remote reservoir.

But another idea is to use a piece of strap steel bent into an "L" shape with a hole drilled in the bottom of the L. Then use a bolt and a couple big washers and bolt that through the large hole in the frame head support floor. Mount your reservoir on the strap sticking up and bleed away.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with the good dr. I don't think the brake fluid reservoir being mounted right onto the MC would be a big deal that often, especially if I'm planning on putting an in-line fuel filter underneath the gas tank like I normally do, and then I can check the brake fluid once a year when I replace the fuel filter (because I'll remove the gas tank anyway).
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a old school flight engineer. Get in the car, warning light function ok, touch the brake pedal for pressure ok, get out of the car and open the engine lid and... Oil ok, fuel lines ok, fan belt ok, electrical connections ok, shut lid, open front trunk lid...spare tire ok, BRAKE fluid level ok. Walk around the car and check tire appearance ok. Get in car, start up, let it warm up and 114 degrees oil temp and drive away.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: