Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear brake slave cylinders, differences? Revealed!
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Rear brake slave cylinders, differences? Revealed! Reply with quote

I need new rear slave cylinders for my '73 412 and my shop have some but they are marked as "not for self adjusting" which my '73 has.
Where is the difference? the cylinder or the pistons...the dia seems to be the same 22,2 mm.

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad

Last edited by Lars S on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake slave cylinders, differences? Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
I need new rear slave cylinders for my '73 412 and my shop have some but they are marked as "not for self adjusting" which my '73 has.
Where is the difference? the cylinder or the pistons...the dia seems to be the same 22,2 mm.

Lars S

I believe the shape was in the outside to allow room for the different spacer/fulcrum bar on the self adjusting brakes. I will consult my manuals tonight. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know the differences in both the slave cylinders and the shoes since I had to buy both theese of the non self adjusting type for my self adjusting setup.

The slave cylinder for the non self adjusting setup has the same dia, shape and dimensions but the M8 threaded hole for the bolt is some 5mm higher up so I had to grind a bit in the back plate to get it there.
This cylinder has the sealing BEHIND the piston not around the piston like the one for self adjusting brakes.

The shoes are basically the same but the hole for fitting of the handbrake lever and the slot for the horizontal bar are some mm's off.

I fitted both the new cylinders and shoes but moved over the handbrake lever and the adjustable horizontal bar (on which the handbreak lever pushes) from the self adjusting setup leaving the self adjusting mechanism (the hook) out. I had to grind a bit on the thick part of the lever to get it free from one of the bolts holding the bearing cover.

So no I have manually adjustable brakes with some parts from the self adjusting setup, the breakes are adjusted at the horizontal bar and not at the bottom of the shoes since the self adjusting setup dont have adjusters at the bottom. So yes, I have to take the drums off to readjust the brakes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Lars S on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to learn the cylinder differences. Long ago I tried fabbing up the other parts to convert mine to auto adjust. I found the upper cross bar from several water cooled vehicles worked fine but there were lots of small fit issues getting it into the housing to fit.

I gave up when I realized that for the same time and effort I could devise a rear disc system. I have that figured out and will start fabrication as soon as my front end is finished. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to write that the slave cylinders and brake shoes I bought are the same as for late Type3.

/Lars S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: