Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Lines...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Fuel Lines... Reply with quote

Hey, everyone. Hope winter's treating you all well.

I'm getting ready to replace my fuel lines. They've all been replaced from tank to firewall, I just have the engine compartment left. (for the record, every mechanic who has inspected the lines in the recent past have said the original look fine; this is just a peace of mind thing.)

I was going to have a local shop do this but after reading Ben's great tutorial and some other threads, I'd prefer to save money and learn a bunch doing it on my own.

My one (which may turn into many once I get started..) question is should I have the fuel injectors cleaned somewhere? If so, where? I'm in Portland, OR so local would be great. Do you all have them cleaned when doing this? Anything else I should think about replacing (such as fuel regulator)?

My van is an '87 with the stock 2.1 L.

Thanks!

vermont girl / child of the wind

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i send all of my customers injectors away to cruzinperformance.com
he's a good guy to deal with, quick turn around, i've had more than a dozen sets done this far no complaints, i'm very happy to recommend his services

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you up for a road trip, im showing another vangon guy how to replace them, on my van, in everett on saturday, tomorrow. I could help yiu through it.

Unless you want to be down and out for a week, id stick with just good lines and fuel line clamps to replace, dont worry about injectors unless your having problems.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KevinsKamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this job myself....go for it....its not hard and its rewarding when your done....I ended up replacing the fuel pressure regulator and the injectors since I was doing the job. One tip I will share that worked out well.....I attached all the new fuel lines to the fuel rail as well as the injectors while out on the workbench, then installed the whole fuel rail assembly with lines and injectors attached at once, feeding the new lines up to the FPR and T fitting as I went.....saved trying to attach the fuel line and clamps down in the tight work space. Good luck and any questions you can pm me....Kevin
1983 Toyota SR5 4wd
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I've bought used injectors here on the samba 5-10 bucks apiece and sent off to witch hunter. That way I'm not down waiting on the turn around and have a set of running spares in the end.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're up for it, you could check the spray pattern and volume of the injectors before removing the engine compartment lines to see whether they need cleaning. I would replace the injector seals while doing the fuel lines at least.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
If you up for a road trip, im showing another vangon guy how to replace them, on my van, in everett on saturday, tomorrow. I could help yiu through it.

Unless you want to be down and out for a week, id stick with just good lines and fuel line clamps to replace, dont worry about injectors unless your having problems.

That's generous of you and I totally would of i didn't have to work.

Thanks for the feedback.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 30R9 lined hose to resist the government mandated corn based alcohol fuel that cost more, raises food prices and delivers worst mileage, it also attacks the older non-lined hoses. (Thank you corn lobby and congress!!!)

30R9 is resistant to the new crap fuels, has a Teflon like inner liner to protect the hose from the fuel.

30R9 will be printed on the hose along its length, 30R7 is the old stuff, it is NOT lined and is not resistant to todays fuel.

besure to delete the fire wall fitting (bulkhead fitting) , it is made of plastic that does degrade, and can result in a fuel leak, simply delete this fitting, and run the hose under the fire wall. this fitting is located directly in front of motor, just above the flywheel, above motor.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
...besure to delete the fire wall fitting (bulkhead fitting) , it is made of plastic that does degrade, and can result in a fuel leak, simply delete this fitting, and run the hose under the fire wall. this fitting is located directly in front of motor, just above the flywheel, above motor.

+1. These fittings are also available made from metal instead of plastic from Van Cafe, Terry Kay here on TS, and others. If you delete it altogether make sure you have a rubber grommet/shield in its place so a hole doesn't eventually wear through you new fuel line Shocked . Cheap insurance.
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: fuel lines Reply with quote

I replaced my fuel lines about a year ago, on my '88 2.1 Westfalia. I noticed that I had a fuel leak as the van was idling in my carport. Thankfully I caught it before a disaster. I ordered the fuel hose kit from Gowesty, with the "better" hose. The kit came with original style clamps, injector seals, firewall fitting delete, etc. I did have to buy the clamp pliers.
I took my time, replacing one at a time, as I went, using the old hose as a guide for length. Be sure to use a very sharp blade to cut the hose, for a clean cut.
Surprising, my old hoses looked excellent. I had a pinhole in one line, that didn't make sense. I also did the fuel rails on a bench,( actually, on a piece of wood over the engine compartment) and did not do a thing to the injectors. If your van is running fine, leave them. If you want to have them checked or replaced just because, that's up to you. The job was kinda fun. Dealing with the injectors is a piece of cake. Next time I do this, I will probably add just a little length to a couple of hoses. Gowesty now has the fuel line insulators, if you want to replace 'em. Good luck! Be methodical! Know your van. Peace
Dana

Last edited by Dana Champion on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ohhorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my fuel lines with the Van Cafe kit a few weeks ago.

From this thread I selected new fuel injectors.. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...highlight=

From Autozone website.. "GP Sorensen/Fuel Injector"
CampWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines... Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:

I was going to have a local shop do this but after reading Ben's great tutorial and some other threads, I'd prefer to save money and learn a bunch doing it on my own.

I started with Ben's guide but found he glazed over some areas that a complete newbie like myself didn't quite understand. I found this guide had some nice tips that he didn't cover in detail: http://www.vanagon.org/fuel-line-replacement/

Between the two of them I was able to get the job done no problem.

As for the injectors I didn't do anything special for mine. They seemed to work fine at the time so I just put them back in. They're still going strong.
Vanagon Nation Facebook Group

Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kits - Fix your faulty blue foil for good!
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines... Reply with quote

Fuel injectors during the vanagon production era and since rarely go 'bad'. I personally have never had that happened over twenty years of too many vanagons nor do I know anyone who has although I'm sure someone somewhere out there has, as with all things VW there are exceptions.

In the early days of fuel injectors on the aircoolers they could be more problematic although this usually involved stirred-up crud from the gas tank getting stuck in the needle. The injectors these days are about half the size and far more refined.

If anyone has any real concern with their vanagon injectors, there are plenty of off the shelf cleaners like from STP, like from any place that sells car stuff. Just pour the bottle into the gas tank, fill the tank up with gas and call it good.

Removing the injectors will require new rubber seal replacements, two to an injector, when reinstalling. This is recommended for safety and convenience. They are cheap --- I think Vancafe sells the smaller one for 50 cents and the larger for $1 but they can be had from any place that sells Vw parts.

These rubber seals can potentially get brittle from engine heat and fuel residue and eventually allow fuel leakage (rare) onto the engine block. Visual inspection of each outer seal can be done if one is concerned. Equally important, when removing any injector, if these two rubber seals crumble/fall apart (usually it's the inner one), make sure the pieces don't fall back into the injector hole. Shocked

Bottom line ... don't mess with them unless you visually spot gas leakage or 'weeping' when the engine is idling, or if you notice during visual inspection the outer rubber seal edge looks cracked or severely weathered. However, I couldn't argue against anyone wanting to replace those seals after roughly 25+ years of service for super insurance Wink
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I'm glad you Western Folks who drives without the Department of Transportation engulfing your vehicle in various forms of Sodium every winter have such great injectors.

Quite honestly..... Ours RUST away! Shocked

ftp2leta wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluid Film sprayed on the metal engine parts before storms and when salt is being spread is a really good idea.

Wash off the crap with Simple Green and hot water, than reapply for the next storm.
KevinsKamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Well,

I'm glad you Western Folks who drives without the Department of Transportation engulfing your vehicle in various forms of Sodium every winter have such great injectors.

Quite honestly..... Ours RUST away! Shocked

[rust pics]

Dave

Yep.....that's what mine looked like but not quite that bad, which is why I replaced the injectors with Sorensons from autozone.....some of my hose clamps had rusted thru and I probably was just days away from a fire.....big relief with the all new fuel system now.
1983 Toyota SR5 4wd
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Djkeev .... that's quite gnarly and not commonly seen out here. I did have a westy syncro once that came from Maine and had a similar appearance but hey .... the upper rubber seal there still looks good Wink
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While mine were rusty and corroded beyond reuse, I failed to photograph them.

These images are not mine but ones I pulled out of the Gallery, ftp2leta aka bensplace posted those images.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the fact, in those pics, the injector and hose clamps are turning to dust and the hoses are cracked and turning to stone not to mention the whole assembly looking like it's been sitting under the ocean since 1000 BC, the electrical connections look clean so I'd wager those injectors are still working. Cool
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob and everyone else for your tips and experience, I very much so appreciate it.

All of this bizarre warm weather we're getting in the PNW will have me starting this in the next couple weeks.

Recently I poured some sea foam into my gas tank and have since then also only filled up with Chevron/Texaco and it's definitely running better. Should I put more injector cleaner in after the new lines or before? Does it matter? And is that good enough - to not have them cleaned elsewhere? I could test the spray although I'm not exactly sure what that entails..

I only need to do the engine bay so I'm wondering if I should get a kit from VC or GW or buy things separately?

Thanks!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: