Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia shore power wiring diagram needed
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Westfalia shore power wiring diagram needed Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am looking for the wiring diagram for a stock 90 westy camper. I tried searching google and this site and cannot find what I'm looking for, maybe my search terms are incorrect. I bought the van and the interior separate and I would like to know if I'm missing pieces. I have the breaker, the outlet above the breaker, then the wires and ground are chopped off about a foot later.

Does the Bentley manual have this info? If I knew it did, I will gladly purchase it. I just seem to be finding info on solar systems, second batteries, etc, but nothing on the AC side of things.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shorepower unit would plug into one of the AC outlets and the 12V DC feeds from the charger would go to your battery/batteries. I think I would use the outlet that powers the stock fridge.

Is that what you are looking for? It is a fairly easy installation.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish I had my Bentley with me to be sure and more clear for you, but as said it is a very simple system. It has only 2 outlet boxes, 1 for the fridge 110v to plug into under the sink, and 1 by the floor and bench seat and then the circuit breaker for the 110v system. From the back of the electrical camper hook up box you run regular 14-2 wire for wiring a house (1 blk, 1 white, 1 ground) to the outlet by the bench and floor. Then in parallel you wire that to both the circuit breaker below it and fridge outlet under the sink and behind the fridge. The ground wire from the 14-2 wire should be carried through afer connecting to the first outlet to the van body at the back of the small lower compartment. I think stock this was a green wire that either clamped or screwed to the metal rail at the back of the compartment where 2 body panels are welded together.

While you are at it, I changed the outlet under the sink from a 1 plug outlet (mine was that when I got it) to a 2 plug outlet and then plugged a small eliminator battery charger into it and tucked it under the small lower shelf in the sink cabinet (the shelf that sort of protects the sink drain pipe(not sure what else it`s for) There is a good deal of space under there (relative to total van space). Then I hooked the leads from the battery charger to my Aux battery system through a Blue Seas fuse panel I put in that same cabinet on its front wall. Then every time you hook up your van to 110v say to pre cool, the fridge, you automatically top charge you aux battery system. You can also run the charger to your starter battery or have a switching device that will switch the charger from your Aux system when it is fully charged to your starter battery.

Like I said I wish I had my manual and I`d snap a photo of the schematic so I could verify what I have said. I would certainly recommend the manual. that said depending on your interest and ability there may be lots of the Bentley that you will never reference and some parts leave a bit to be desired but I`d still recommend it.

I`m not sure what jacrider is referring to by shorepower unit or 12v DC feeds but what do I know. Get a Bentley for sure so you know you are doing it right.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacrider wrote:
The shorepower unit would plug into one of the AC outlets and the 12V DC feeds from the charger would go to your battery/batteries. I think I would use the outlet that powers the stock fridge.

Is that what you are looking for? It is a fairly easy installation.

The stock shorepower (120V) circuit is independent of any of the 12V circuits...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Camper115V Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah!... guess it goes to the CB first.
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the info I needed guys, I'm ordering the book tonight, thanks guys!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to skip the thermo-breaker, and just go to a GFCI outlet, then to the ref outlet. Would be easier wiring and safer. The GFCI's are available in a grey that's very close to the VW grey. My 2 cents.... I'd also use 14/3

edit: thank you Mark, not trying to mislead anyone.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)

Last edited by JudoJeff on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bad idea, unsafe. The breaker is needed. The GFCI outlet is intended to protect against a different threat. Use the GFCI outlet to supplement the breaker.

Mark

JudoJeff wrote:
You may want to skip the thermo-breaker, and just go to a GFCI outlet, then to the ref outlet. Would be easier wiring and safer. The GFCI's are available in a grey that's very close to the VW grey. My 2 cents.... I'd also use 14/3
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
This is a bad idea, unsafe. The breaker is needed. The GFCI outlet is intended to protect against a different threat. Use the GFCI outlet to supplement the breaker.

Mark

JudoJeff wrote:

You need both. One monitors for difference in current between legs, the breaker for current overload, as well as providing a way to rapidly shut off. Consider using a marine double pole breaker which shuts off both hot and neutral wires, too.
alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to consult my electrician buddy when the job is complete so he can look over my work. This is one part of the van I don't want to get "zapped" on. lol.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia shore power wiring diagram needed Reply with quote

Is it ok to wire shore power ground to the van?
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia shore power wiring diagram needed Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Is it ok to wire shore power ground to the van?

Yes. That's how it should be.

In OEM form, that "48" shown in diagram above is at vehicle sheet metal at LH side of the fridge; on an RV, motorhome etc., incoming shore power ground should be bonded to the vehicle frame. (body)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia shore power wiring diagram needed Reply with quote

Here is the shore power wiring on my 83.5 Westy from when I was removing the cabinets for the dreaded rust repair on the kitchen wall. I had to move the grounding point slightly after the repair but basically just put it back as it was.

It's kind of hard to trace in the picture but the three-wire 110v wiring just goes from the exterior plug to the breaker box. From there, a green ground wire goes to the frame behind the cabinets. The wiring continues through the breaker box to the first outlet and then back around behind the fridge to the second outlet under the sink. (Both are standard duplex receptacles)

Note: The black (12VDC) wire from the front is a completely separate system even though in the picture it looks like it goes to outlet #1.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia shore power wiring diagram needed Reply with quote

I couldn't get my hands on any welding cable, but I've wired in my AUX battery using red and blue THICK stereo cable (the kind that powers the amp). Any objections? It's what I had on hand, and I'm hoping the Samba Engineers can tell me it will work for the HOUSE battery.
Cheers!
Nico
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia shore power wiring diagram needed Reply with quote

This is NOT going well!
I HATE Reimo!
I bought the interior used. It is designed to be fitted to a T3. However, EVERYTHING is just a little off. I mounted the grey water tank in the only position it would fit (under the van). I measured carefully (twice!) and drilled down to the tank, PERFECT, lined right up with the predrilled hole from the last guy.
When I moved the kitchen back into place, the hole was under the fridge, at the edge of the cabinet! Evil or Very Mad
I'm also trying to mount a battery isolator (from GoWesty), only I have an old set-up (four posts) and all the instructions from GW show and mention a three post isolator!
My van already has a relay under the drivers seat, but only three wires plugged into it. Oh, and I have to figure out the kitchen wiring to boot (NO help from Reimo!).
Ok, chill Nico. I still have two weeks to figure it all out, get it installed, and function checked.

Lets hope I don't let the smoke out......
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia shore power wiring diagram needed Reply with quote

Hi

I am having ground resistance on my electrical. I am trying to locate the 48 ground connect left hand behind the fridge (I have an 84)

Is it suppose to be the one you have in picture? When take a quick look I see one cable going from there in my van to the 110v breaker.

In my van the ground that connect the fridge also connect the pump. That cable then goes into an harness and I have not yet been able to track it... So a little help Smile
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia shore power wiring diagram needed Reply with quote

there is a ground wire (bright green) that connects to the chassis (straight down from the tank hookup port). that ground connects the chassis to the city electric ground so the Vanagon is not floating. in my 91 the chassis ground is tied to the city wiring at the circuit breaker.

BiWerks Design, LLC
koubiak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia shore power wiring diagram needed Reply with quote

Ok I will try to dig there then! Will get back to y'all when I get it back from the bodyshop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: