Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oh man, I am now a multiple van owner - non Vanagon.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Oh man, I am now a multiple van owner - non Vanagon. Reply with quote

So, a year ago I posted about this van sitting in a field. I was needing help to not buy it, and you guys failed me. Dang it - I am in so much trouble now. I have not even told my wife yet, but I bought it today. Perfect day for lowballing a car - cold and wet.

Here's Mango's new stable mate. I am looking forward to some comparison photos side by side and some basic measurements. Occasionally, someone asks about these Mitsubishi vans as a sub for the Vanagon, so it will be interesting for you guys to know about. On first glance, there is simply no comparison on utility due to its smaller size - the Vanagon crushes this little toy. It's kinda cool in that it has 4 sliding windows, however. I'm really tickled to have it and play with it a bit:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's still at the sellors. Will need a basic checkover and a battery to get it home. I need ideas on how to tell my wife.

The components are surprisingly rugged. Make sense since these are the little work horses of third world countries all over the planet. Solid rear axle with leaf springs, big cast iron suspension components, etc.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
johnnygreenham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I love my vanagon but I love all interesting cars and vans. Lived out of a toyota Liteace for over a year when I was working in New Zealand. I know nothing about these vans. Is it a Delica???? 2WD? Engine under the seats (mid engine position)?

johnny
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh man, I am now a multiple van owner - non Vanagon. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
So, a year ago I posted about this van sitting in a field. I was needing help to not buy it, and you guys failed me.
[...]
I need ideas on how to tell my wife.

Why do I have the feeling we're going to fail you again??? Laughing
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry doug, but your wife needs to give you a good beating Laughing

now go stand in the naughty corner Rolling Eyes

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Scirocco II/Jetta I guys thought their park benches were bad...

There's been comparison photos/dialogue between the Vanagon and Toyota Van Wagon posted here; so, actually, should be interesting to see how the Mitsu fits into the equation.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old neighbor has a 300TD... ...4WD!
It's more badass than a raised VW Syncro.

Go figure. Smile

zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a couple Toyota VanWagons and liked them after I had owned two bay window buses, but they are a bit smaller--the Mitsubishi van is pretty similar to the toyo.

Actually, before I bought the vanagon last month, I was considering another Toyota VanWagon. But they are harder to find than the VW, and we wanted the space of the larger VW.

The smaller size and relatively peppy performance of the VanWagon, as well as it's bus-like seating and driving, made it fun.

But I was immediately struck with how the 91 Vanagon smelled just like my 78 and 72 buses.

I think the Mitsubishi will be a welcome addition to the VW for you. Nice score.

As for the wife, try chocolates. Or backrubs. Or both.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And the Scirocco II/Jetta I guys thought their park benches were bad... "

That cracked me up completely. I think we all know we share an interest in, and enthusiasm for a fairly unusual vehicle DNA. There are legions of "sporty" car groups, but we like these lumbering beasts and shun the boulevard popularity contest. I'll make a blanket psychiatric statement I'd be interested to know how accurately it paints us. By being interested in a vehicle that is not fast, not aggressively styled, and that requires a higher level of care than most hobby/interest types, I suspect we have risen above the vehicle feeding our ego stage. Somehow, I feel that people driving an automotive slug like ours have risen above the insecurity of needing to have a fast/cool sporty car and arrived at a place where we choose our special automotive transport based on our personal version of "cool", not society's. It's just a bonus that these Vanagons are in fact very cool.

This van has the potential to also be kinda cool in the same vein as the Vanagon. And I am keenly interested in what it will be like to drive, to work on, and frankly to simply poke at. Like the Vanagon, this van has pure DNA from its country of origin that was minimally modified for the US market. Like the Vanagon, it was not a sales success because of that. The Vanagon was designed as a perfect commercial vehicle for Europe's tight streets, and to fit Europe's engine displacement tax structure. Secondarily it was fitted with seats as passenger transport. This Mitsubishi was designed as a mirror image, except it was perfect for the even smaller streets of Asia - crowded cities like Hong Kong, Seoul, and Tokyo. They are even the exact same time frame. This vehicle was built within months of the assembly date of my Vanagon.

It's kinda cool. I'll post side by side shots of the undercarriage, interiors and exteriors. I am interested in the noise level, the handling, braking and how the controls work. Its going to be pretty cool, methinks.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this is a 2WD rear wheel drive Mitsubishi Van. L300 I think. It was so unpopular in the US they discontinued selling it here in just a couple years. It is an automatic, and the engine is under the seats - kinda. I haven't even looked at it. I slid under it a year ago and lay there grinning at the novelty of things, but since then I have hardly given it a look over. I did see this very unusual feature. See how the front end has absolutely NO air intakes for the engine like an aircooled Vanagon? Well, the radiator is under the passenger seat. Facing the ground with a fan atop it that pulls air through the fins. Bizarre, but makes some sense.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh man, I am now a multiple van owner - non Vanagon. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
... I need ideas on how to tell my wife. ...

Wine, roses, a candle light dinner in the van, Godiva chocolates, a soft bed and pillows, and a Neiman Marcus gift certificate.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had an 80s toyota le van - engine under the seat, nearly identical in looks (ie, pretty fugly) but it was fantastic. tons of space, great fuel, and low maintenance. mine was a manual, which i think was pretty rare.

no weight at the back made it spin out a bit, especially in the alberta winters. cargo or sandbags helped.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggest you put a wbx in it. then you can post about it here, as it is a conversion.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you can fill it up with gas without leaving the drivers seat! I look forward to the side-by-side comparison. Is this going to be like Motorweek where you do the performance brake, acceleration and slalom tests?

Suggestion for breaking the news... Move your pillow to the couch and start making up a bed. When she asks what you're doing, break the news. Hopefully she'll think it's cute/funny, and if she doesn't at least you'll have your pillow.

Or two tickets to Costa Rica. That always works. Good luck!

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oof, and I thought the Vanagon front overhang was long... Laughing

Regarding the psychology of this group... I think it's safe to say no one here feels the need to compensate for anything. Razz We drive what we goddamn well please.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reninds me of the Hormiga, sharp angles......
VW Thing of trucks!

Air cooled, front wheel drive.....

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oh man, I am now a multiple van owner - non Vanagon. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
S... Dang it - I am in so much trouble now.
I have not even told my wife yet....

I am looking forward to some comparison photos side by side and some basic measurements.

For comparison, I think this is 7'x3'x3'. Just saying...

I think the first step is to paint it bright yellow.

Seriously though, yes, you are in trouble, but you know what you are doing. Enjoy it.
unplannedbbq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oh man, I am now a multiple van owner - non Vanagon. Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:
... I need ideas on how to tell my wife. ...

Wine, roses, a candle light dinner in the van, Godiva chocolates, a soft bed and pillows, and a Neiman Marcus gift certificate.

Aloha
tp

How about: "But honey, I got the bigger one for you. Happy Valentines day!"

"However not an ideal swap unless it was all you had and you needed to escape some distopian 3rd world country." - Mongoswede
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least when i told my wife i just bought another van it was another syncro! So she sort of understood. Now when i told her we need to buy a parts van she just rolled her eyes and laughingly said yes dear. Goooood wifey. I dont know if i could get away with buying some random van though. Is there a bed in it for you? Very Happy
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Is there a bed in it for you? Very Happy

Yeah, I hope you covered your bases just in case. Laughing

82 Diesel Westy
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oh man, I am now a multiple van owner - non Vanagon. Reply with quote

In '89 I bought new a Toyota 4wd van, manual shift with low gears. I already had a stable of air-cooled Bay buses but I needed something reliable for lots of long-D travel. I was also getting older and needed a few more creature comforts. There were a few other Asian vans coming out but the Toyota was the least fugly and had that 4wd option.

I checked on the vanagons at that time, especially the westy syncros, but they were not only more expensive but already had a rep of needing lots of wrenching after two or three years of use. The Toyota's also got better gas mileage

I drove and often slept in that pee-wee for ten years racking up the miles and never had any electrical, mechanical or fuel system problem at all. With regrets I sold it (still wish I had it and virtually all the other vehicles I've ever owned) because as you age your body changes somewhat no matter what so I was no longer comfortable with the tiny front seats.

Before I sold it I had already added some vanagons to the herd -- seats more comfortable and the room .... the room ! And ... the driving experience felt similar to that of the Bays and Splitties with some refinements. I was hooked ....

Well ... just a morning coffee story.

Now I could also tell you about my current '99 Chrysler AWD town & country, extended length, but that seemingly just ... wouldn't ... be . the ... same Wink

Congrads on your score, Doug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: