Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition and headlights: how are they wired?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Ignition and headlights: how are they wired? Reply with quote

I posted this earlier as a poll, but it appeared that I was asking for opinions, not about how other Vanagons were wired.

I have two '87 Vanagons, one in Hawaii and one in California.
The one in Hawaii is wired so that the headlights turn off when the the ignition is turned off, but the parking lights stay on. The one in California, the headlights will work anytime.

I know this because returning through the tunnel from the other side of the island I left my headlights on and parked in front of the house. My neighbor told me later that my parking lights were on.

I don't know which system is more desirable. Some advantages to each system. Which system do other Vanagons have?

Aloha
tp

Moderator edit: topic title amended to be more specific.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on all of my vanagon headlights are OFF, parking lights stay ON - with ignition OFF
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parking lights stay on.
A PO must have rewired your other van. Not that hard.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ignition and headlights for answers not a poll Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
..I don't know which system is more desirable...

Aloha
tp

Even my wifes Tiguan turns off the headlights with the ignition. I like it this way. My '89 has all LED Bulbs inside and out except the headlights and Hella 500's. I wired the Hella 500's to turn off with the ignition as well, even though they have their own fog light switch on the dash. We have a lot of remote roads that require daytime headlights around here, it's comforting to know the load on my battery is minimal if I leave the lights on accidentally, which has been know to happen... Embarassed As a bonus, the LED lights are bright even during the day, making me notice them if I glance back while walking away. Everyone glances back for one last look at their Vanagon, don't they? Blue Vanagon

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ignition and headlights for answers not a poll Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
The one in California, the headlights will work anytime...

Perhaps if your headlight switch is slightly toasted...???

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Which system do other Vanagons have?

The headlights are only supposed to work with the ignition on.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

This seems to be the info here so far. I'll bust out the Bentley and look at the wiring diagrams and try to figure out how it is supposed to work and what the PO might have done. I did put in the brighter headlight bulbs and relays and I've done that job on three Vanagons without problems. I don't think I made any new circuits on this California Vanagon. I'm of the "If it works don't fix it" genre and may not do anything. It is an automatic and I carry a Sears jumpstarter as part of my tools and spare parts.

Thanks for the replies.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

That answered my question regarding the headlights and the ignition switch. I recently siamesed the power to my CD player so that it would have power without the ignition switch in the on position. Several days later I discovered that the heater fans would stay on when the ignition switch was turned off. I assume that this and the headlights are both idiosyncrasies of my Vanagon and I would best restore the wiring to the OG ignition off, headlights off, fans off configuration.

Aloha
tp
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to tap into any other wires to power your stereo.

You can use one of the "P" connectors on the left hand side of the fuse block. These connectors are always hot and are perfect for accessories like aftermarket stereos.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
There is no need to tap into any other wires to power your stereo.

You can use one of the "P" connectors on the left hand side of the fuse block. These connectors are always hot and are perfect for accessories like aftermarket stereos.

I siamesed the red and yellow wires on the back of the CD player. I didn't have to go to the fuse block. If I ever put in an amplifier I'll go there.

What about the fact that the fans have power when the ignition switch is in the off position. Is that the OG configuration?

Aloha
tp
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
What about the fact that the fans have power when the ignition switch is in the off position. Is that the OG configuration?

Nope
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

Nope

That's what I thought. It's time to bust out the Bentley wiring diagrams and figure out the how and think about the why. Thanks for the quick response.

Aloha
tp
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is easy to accidently leave the headlamps on, the switch is no very good at indicating which position it is in!!!! With the old Bugs you could glance at the switch and even a person unfamiliar with the car can rightly figure if the switch is on or not, it was a nice pull switch centrally located, easy to tell if it is pulled out or not, not so with the vanagon, which I assume is why VW wired it to turn off with the key switch. However I find this feature annoying, want to light up a campsite at night to set up a tent, and you have to turn on the ignition, I don't like that at all.

One thing I did to make the switch more recognizable as being on or off is I colored the side of the rocker switch bright orange (dayglow orange label sticker cut to fit) I placed the bright orange stocker on the side of the rocker that is exposed when the switch is ON, when the switch is OFF the orange is hidden form view, this now helps me notice if the light is left on, which can be not noticed specially if the light is used during the day.

So color the side of the switch, a bright colored sticker or paint will make it much more identifiable as to if it is ON or OFF. If I see the orange sticker then I know the switch is ON, and the orange does stand out pretty well against the black dash board.

Maybe one day I will try to rewire it to allow the lights to be ON without the key. but since I colored the switch I have yet to accidently leave it ON.

draining the battery is not only a pain to deal with (got a jump???) but also is very harmful to battery life.

One thing that is really bad is the glove box lamp, that light will drain the battery over a period of a few days, and it is easy for a passenger to accidentally bump it to ON, and it can go un-noticed. That switch should be protected, Last time my nephew turned it on I assume when he got in the van with his school backpack resting near his knees, parked the van for a few days at it was dead.

I really ought to pull the glove box bulb and do without. That light should have been hooked to the key switch.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the incandescent bulb in the glove box light with an LED and the battery will last for days instead of hours if the light is left on by mistake.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/3022/

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found some wiring idiosyncrasies in my '87 pop top. The headlights and heater fans will work with the ignition in the off position and this is undesirable. I wanted the radio to work with the ignition off and I siamesed the yellow memory wire to the red power wire. Twice the battery has gone dead while parked for several days. The radio has been off and supposedly the only draw on the battery has been the memory and the clock. They should not have fully discharged the battery. I have been disconnecting the battery overnight and no problems starting in the morning. The battery is fairly new and I assume there is no problem with it. I doubt that power to a radio that is turned off is the problem.

I've started trouble shooting and researching the electrical diagrams. I've found that a relay, with the number 18, clicks when the ground is connected and I see a small healthy spark at the battery terminal. I've started searching the Bentley diagrams for relay #18, but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Bottom line: what is connected to relay #18?

Aloha
tp
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load reduction relay.
A picture would help confirm since their position is what matters.
http://www.vanagonparts.com/fuse_panel_86to91.html

Last edited by syncrodoka on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Load reduction relay.
A picture would help confirm since their position is what matters.

Here's a photo of relay labeled 18
If it is a load reduction relay, what are the loads that it supplies when activated?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition and headlights: how are they wired? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

The one in Hawaii is wired so that the headlights turn off when the the ignition is turned off, but the parking lights stay on. The one in California, the headlights will work anytime.

I don't know which system is more desirable. Some advantages to each system. Which system do other Vanagons have?

Aloha
tp

Can't speak for the 1987 model... but the Owner's Manual for 1981 states "...Depress the switch to the second stop to turn on the headlights (ignition on) .... to conserve battery power, the headlights will go out automatically when the igntion is turned off or when the engine is started." Page 24

It seems desirability of one wiring set-up over the other is a matter of preference. I would rather the lights not be inadvertently left on.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the top for unanswered questions.

#18 is a load reduction relay
What loads does it reduce?
What are the loads that it supplies when activated?
Should it be activated when the battery ground is reconnected or is it supposed to be switched from the ignition?
I see a moderately healthy spark when the ignition switch is off and the ground is reconnected. I feel and hear a click from #18. I assume that there is a battery drain.
Where can I find #18 in the Bentley wiring diagram?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It interrupts the power to the headlights and other high load circuits to maximize power output to the starter when cranking.

I would find out what all those random white wires are going to and get rid of the ground wire to the fuse block and attach it to the ground tree. They may not be the problem at all but it won't help you out in the future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: