Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 400 Hp Single Cab Street Rod Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: New Chrome Bullet Shaped Headlamps Reply with quote

Ran the filler panels thru the English Wheel and made some templates for the New Headlamp Mounting System.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My YouTube Home Page:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreenVW/featured
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headlamp brackets in steel. Still need to smooth and finish

Link to my YouTube Build Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreenVW/playlists
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adapted shocks to the Speedway front suspension. The tubing in the photo is only a temporary brace.

TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Factory Headlights Reply with quote

I decided to try to use the factory headlights and buckets, positioned vertically. They will also move with the steering. Installed one today.

YouTube link to my Build Videos:
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went ahead and mounted the second headlight, though I may not keep them. Also added the permanent bracing to the shock towers and removed the temporary. Still need to finish the welding and smooth. Also, trimmed the door the desired location and started on a template for a rocker pane.

My Build Videos:
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a steering wheel today. I have been looking for an acceptable steering wheel for a while now. Wheels that would be "just ok", are $300+. I recalled seeing a style that i liked on some older cars that was very simple, so I gave it a try. The ring is 14 gauge 1" dom tubing and the center support is heavy wall. It is very strong and is mounted on a quick release coupling.

Build Vides:
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think... (sometimes it hurts my head!) ...the motorcycle headlights would go better with the hot rod style of the build. Awesome job on everything. This build is like crack cocaine! I'm hooked and want more!...Nelson in Hudson Valley NY.
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelson845 wrote:
I think... (sometimes it hurts my head!) ...the motorcycle headlights would go better with the hot rod style of the build. Awesome job on everything. This build is like crack cocaine! I'm hooked and want more!...Nelson in Hudson Valley NY.

Thanks!! Yes, I am on the fence about the VW headlights The motorcycle lights look good up close, but from a distance, they are way too small. I really like the way it looks without lights, so I am going to try to come up with some sort of hidden headlight arrangement. The VW lights simply unbolt from the spindles, so I plan to leave them for now until I come up with something better.

Build Videos:
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted Part 7 of the Build on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfpMvLPHCko
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreenVW wrote:
nelson845 wrote:

Thanks!! Yes, I am on the fence about the VW headlights The motorcycle lights look good up close, but from a distance, they are way too small. I really like the way it looks without lights, so I am going to try to come up with some sort of hidden headlight arrangement. The VW lights simply unbolt from the spindles, so I plan to leave them for now until I come up with something better.

Build Videos:

I know it's just a personal opinion, But did you try mocking up headlights down lower? It would show off the body lines more and most vrods look like frogs when the lights are up too high.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
TheGreenVW wrote:
nelson845 wrote:

Build Videos:

I know it's just a personal opinion, But did you try mocking up headlights down lower? It would show off the body lines more and most vrods look like frogs when the lights are up too high.

I can't drop the lights any lower because my local vehicle code mandates a min. height, measured at the center of the bulb, of 24".
I have also ordered a set of small HID's that I may be able to mount in such a way that they are not noticed until turned on. I will continue to try some different options while moving on with other parts of the build.
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started framing the Bed today. The 3" tubing that serves as the top rail, closely replicates the body line of the cab.

Build Thread Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8xzCtTkH46avFAEsFkL1x2-tW1IROfZw
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made 2 wide fenders from 4 narrow ones. Lined up each pair, back to back, and clamped them together. Tack welded the inner seams and then fully welded the outside. To remove the sharp edge on the inside of the fenders, I used a reciprocating saw with a long blade to then cut out the inner seam, ground smooth and weld inside edges together.

My Build Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreenVW?feature=mhee
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do awesome work. And I really am digging this build. Can I suggest something to the build? Don't wanna piss anyone off, so this is just a thought. What if you extended the fronts of the rear fender and make a floor board to the cab, Making it narrower as it goes to the front. It may look good and resemble a bit of a dune buggy style.From the side view. That was just a thought. (Please be kind, don't kill the messenger)
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daanbc wrote:
You do awesome work. And I really am digging this build. Can I suggest something to the build? Don't wanna piss anyone off, so this is just a thought. What if you extended the fronts of the rear fender and make a floor board to the cab, Making it narrower as it goes to the front. It may look good and resemble a bit of a dune buggy style.From the side view. That was just a thought. (Please be kind, don't kill the messenger)

Thanks! Thats certainly something to think about. I was planning on making some bed sides to resemble the sheet metal from a bus. I could possibly incorporate the floorboard into the area under the door as well. Thanks for the idea. I'll have to mock something up and see how it looks.
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreenVW wrote:
daanbc wrote:

Thanks! Thats certainly something to think about. I was planning on making some bed sides to resemble the sheet metal from a bus. I could possibly incorporate the floorboard into the area under the door as well. Thanks for the idea. I'll have to mock something up and see how it looks.

Whew, glad you like it. I did not want to come off like a jerk, (someone who tells you what to do) I just thought that it would give your ride a little more style from looking at it from the side, with the curve of the fender and the swervey line from the fender into becoming a floorboard. I really like the idea of the moving lights with the wheels. Have you thought about any paint ideas?
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you thought about any paint ideas?

Yes. Because so much of the metal is badly pitted, I am going to use Bed Liner material in some key areas. The nose, most of the door and the bed sides will be a high impact color. Right now I am leaning towards the bright green used on the late model Camaro combined with the chrome/stainless front suspension and safari window frames.
daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreenVW wrote:
Quote:
Have you thought about any paint ideas?

Yes. Because so much of the metal is badly pitted, I am going to use Bed Liner material in some key areas. The nose, most of the door and the bed sides will be a high impact color. Right now I am leaning towards the bright green used on the late model Camaro combined with the chrome/stainless front suspension and safari window frames.

Nice, was that color called forest green? I had a friend with a 71 camaro that was green with the black rally strips. Any color you decide will pop on this build.
TheGreenVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress.

Bargain priced led brake lights will go in the ends of the upper bed rails.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: