Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kduvey wrote:
Ok so I got my GW alarm installed.
Guess what

Dear God, thank you for just trying it. I love theories and postulations as much as the next guy, but there you go. I have an '84 which behaves in the same way (needle pegs when coolant is low) so I expect I'll have the same behavior with the GW kit. I will order one now. I pay more than this a month for insurance, why not?

ps GW upped their price since they sold out and now have it back in stock... Supply and demand!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the new german aftermarket KAE brand low coolant level warning relay from van cafe, the alarm also goes off with low coolant.
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

I recently upgraded my cluster foil with the GW replacement and opted for the coolant alarm. For some reason the alarm sounds while my van is warming up... my coolant is full and obviously not hot. I have to turn off the van when it's somewhat warm to get the alarm to stop. Has anyone had this issue?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3 kopf wrote:
On the new german aftermarket KAE brand low coolant level warning relay from van cafe, the alarm also goes off with low coolant.

should not the alarm go on for low coolant?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: what I need .. Reply with quote

david2676 wrote:
Has anyone made a relay for this that would turn off the radio... i have no doubt at all should my alarm go off odds are my radio will over power this little beep or it will blend in...

no doubt there is a way to have it also power a relay that would shut off the radio ?

The thing is so loud it freaked me out. Good I guess but really not helpful when trying to make tactical decisions, already stressed out because you're frying your engine and trying to get off a crowded freeway. If I remember correctly I was trying to pull the damn dash cover off and tear out the speaker while I was pulling over. Going to replace the buzzer with something quieter soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wehrbüchse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I cannot get my GW alarm to work. My only running vehicle is currently very slowly bleeding exhaust gas into the coolant system. I periodically have to stop and transfer coolant from the fill tank into the expansion tank. I’m going to do a head gasket job when I get back down to my garage in another state.

EDIT: somehow I had a 1.9 coolant level control unit, the taller type, plugged it in and now the go Westy buzzer works if I unplug the connector to the coolant level sensor.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
It has to do with the version of the coolant level warning relay that you have installed. Someone has installed the original 83-84+ version in your later van.

Mark

kduvey wrote:
Mark, Is there an easy way to check this? Any harm done by this?

I will look. If this turns out to be the case, this may be a great upgrade for those installing this kit so they can get audible low coolant alarm functionality in addition to overheating. This seems to be a desirable thing

Kduvey- did it turn out that you had one of the older relays that make the needle peg hot when the coolant gets low?

Mark- Apart from a short, can you think of a reason why my red led does not flash when I disconnect the tank level sensor? The wires look fine. It seems to flash when the motor overheats, but the alarm kit does not bu it seems to flash when the motor overheat, but the alarm kit does not sound. My blue foil is in great condition. Visibly, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

I installed a bostig in my '84 and even now when I pull the level sensor, the dash/alarm work in the same way as previously. Of course this is expected because it's the same signal to the dash, just a different wiring harness. Needle pegs, light flashes, alarm sounds.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

Is there a way to test that the GW coolant alarm is working?

I am having rad fan issues where while idling sometimes the low speed fan is not coming on (it’s intermittant) but the high speed fan activates at 211°F at the thermostat (scan gauge). Approximately but not at the exact time as high speed fan comes on the red LED temp light starts flashing. The temp needle on the gauge is just below the white line and just above the LED as the light starts blinking which seems too low for a flashing LED but I don’t know at what gauge reading or temp the light should flash...
Once the high speed fan runs for 15-20 seconds and then stops, the temp slowly falls to around 200°F. If the low speed fan does come on it catches the temp at about 205°F and pulls the temp back so the high speed fan doesn’t come on.

Also the GW coolant alarm doesn’t come on when the red LED flashes which brings me back to my original question.
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

What year is your van? AC?
Maybe a rad switch problem?
If you have a newer van with the 450W fan, you should have a resistor that could be causing problems for the low speed. Or maybe a faulty connection if intermittent.

Don’t know about the buzzer not working though.

Also this a pretty good article on how the rad fan works. It also states when the light will flash in accordance with the gauge.

https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=74
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

Yeah for me as soon as the light flashes, the alarm sounds. It's not entirely cool. It's good that it alerts you to the flashing, but when you see the flashing it'll stress you out and that alarm is loud as hell, adding more stress.

If it ever happens just try to be cool and trust that you haven't fried your motor yet, that should take a couple minutes. Just pull over as soon as you safely can so you can shut it off and look around.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Van is an 88 syncro conversion. No AC. Fan was upgraded to 450 watt with the green resistor behind the left headlight with the conversion. I put a new resistor in a few days ago when I noticed that the low speed fan was not working right.

Can anyone tell me the correct hook up of the 3 wires on the resistor. The old resistor had the 2 short wires side by side across one end of the resistor. The new one had them lined up along the length of the resistor at 1 end so it was impossible to match them to th old wires. Maybe it doesn’t matter. The long wire at the other end was obvious. I will try swapping the 2 short wires, check the switch wiring and then change out the switch on the rad if necessary.

I guess my GW alarm is not working if it’s not sounding when my light flashes (which seems way too early both needle and temp wise... a mystery to solve there if anyone has any input. Jwallis, I will be ready if the alarms ever sounds. Thanks for the warning. Although yours seems to sound with the flashing LED, would be nice to know for sure what the actual trigger for the alarm to sound is...

Any help on if my temp gauge needle/LED is out of whack relative to the scan gauge temps at the thermostat would be great (details a few posts back) and if there is a way to test the GW alarm.
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

I’m a big fan of this upgrade and I like that the low level alarm sets it off. It went off in the middle of BFE Utah and I was able to swap out the leaking connector and do a quick bleed, a 20 minute job on the side of the road, instead of dealing with an overheating event.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

After my recent coolant hose breakdown - I bought this kit. I looked down while driving and the peg was at 75% where it is usually at 50%. I don't remember if my coolant light was blinking or not - it all happened so fast.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

SW83, do you mean the needle read 75% on the gauge where it read 50% before the cool alarm install. And did the alarm sound at 75%?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

coastdog wrote:
SW83, do you mean the needle read 75% on the gauge where it read 50% before the cool alarm install. And did the alarm sound at 75%?

I don't have an alarm yet. I was cruising 65mph on the interstate, I looked down to see the gauge at 75% when it normally reads 50%. I pulled over to find that a pretty large gash in a heater hose.

If I didn't look down, I would not know that I was starting to/overheating. I now realize the importance of such buzzer and have recently purchased it. I will give feedback once installed.
coastdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

Great thanks. Trying to determine how to test if alarm is working and if it sounds at the same time as the red LED flashes. Look forward to your feedback when able.
Coastdog
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

I am curious as this as well. Because as I recall GoWesty's online description says that it does NOT sound the alarm when the LED is blinking - but only sounds the alarm when the temperature is running hotter.

I think though, if you were low on coolant, you would run hotter, which should sound the alarm.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

Curious how this works, given I have had a boilover without any sign of overheating at the gauge. Between a confirmed bad blue cap and what I suspect is a failed voltage regulator (gauge reads low consistently now, would this buzzer do any good at all?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Curious how this works, given I have had a boilover without any sign of overheating at the gauge. Between a confirmed bad blue cap and what I suspect is a failed voltage regulator (gauge reads low consistently now, would this buzzer do any good at all?

No. The way this works is uses the signal that the gauge sees. You need a properly working gauge before this modification works. It literally taps into the 3 (?) connections on the back side of the gauge.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's New Water Temp Buzzer Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:

No. The way this works is uses the signal that the gauge sees. You need a properly working gauge before this modification works. It literally taps into the 3 (?) connections on the back side of the gauge.

If I have a properly working gauge, I shouldn't need this, given I also have oil temp/pressure gauges.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: