Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powder coat or paint wheels?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deaffy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Powder coat or paint wheels? Reply with quote

I have a semi-beater van that is last in the attention hierarchy as far as cosmetics go. But, I'm thinking about refinishing the wheels on it.

I've seen the argent silver wheel paint in the catalogs, but I'm also toying with the idea of having them powdercoated silver. I figure I can always switch with another van if they come out really well.

Any idea of what prices are per-wheel for powder coating? I would imagine they'd need a good blasting too- is that normally included in the price?

Or, am I better off just getting as much crud off the wheels myself and using the paint in the can alternative?

TIA ...
gstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could expect at least $50 per rim for sandblasting and powdercoating. Painting would be cheaper, but not as durable. If you want them to look good and stay that way powdercoating is the way to go.
pinchcliffe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powder will clog up in sharp edges and creases due to magnetic disturbances during the powdercoating process.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wheels are round, they don't have any sharp edges Very Happy
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are on a beater and are steel wheels I probably wouldn't recommend spending the money. The steel wheels are practically impossible to get the crack completely clean between the face and the rim. If powder coated steel wheels are driven in the slop on a regular basis eventually they will rust. I would get them blasted as clean as possible, deburr any sharp edges and then spray them with the spray can. If you decide at some point later on you want them to look nice you just pop the tires and get them powder coated.

Mike
summit powder coaters
59 single, 69 bus, 73 super
pinchcliffe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many rims have a deep crease just between the band and the...er...rim side, or what the heck it's called. This is where the powder tends to clog up.
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinchcliffe wrote:
Many rims have a deep crease just between the band and the...er...rim side, or what the heck it's called. This is where the powder tends to clog up.

Yeah that's basically what I was refering to but it can be minimized by doing several things. The most important is to preheat the wheel before it is sprayed. If the coater is trying to coat a set of steel wheels with the wheel cold the crack will be rusting in hardly any time. Especially around here in Ohio. The other thing that will help to reduce that problem of "clogging up" is to run a fan tip on the gun instead of the tulip tip. That clogging up is caused by what is called the faraday cage effect which tends to pull the negatively charged powder particle to one side or the other but won't allow it down into the crack of the positively grounded part. Its a lot like trying to put the armature into the can on a permanent magnet DC motor.

Mike
59 single, 69 bus, 73 super
mjhayes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of wheels powder coated and afterwards I had trouble keeping the lug nuts tight. Maybe because of lack of friction? I sold them and went chrome.

Mike Laughing
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjhayes wrote:
I had a set of wheels powder coated and afterwards I had trouble keeping the lug nuts tight. Maybe because of lack of friction? I sold them and went chrome.

Mike Laughing

That's odd considering nearly every wheel from all the automakers made after 1987 had powder on them. I highly doubt it was the powder coating.
klepic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - Argent Silver is being offered by Eastwood in both spray and powder. In my opinion, if they are great shape steelies and you intend on keeping them, go with powder. If they are just a transitional wheel, spray them and save your pennies for the wheels you really want. The crack/rust problem mentioned will always be an issue either way you go. It's just nearly impossible to get everything out of that crack. Although I would expect a professionl powder coater to be able to get as good as you could do with spray.

If you do spray them, pick up a can of acid etch primer before you spray. This will provide some "bite" into the crack and prevent the rust from occuring as rapidily as it would with "plain" primer.

Enjoy!
59 vw guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys a good powder coater can get it in all the cracks i just had all my tin done and looks great my buddy did his whole suspension and now his whole chassis is being done they can get the stuff in any crevis you want...chris Laughing
Aerohead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use a phosphoric acid-based metal prep under poweder coat? Would this be a good way to clear out any rust left down in the wheel cracks after blasting?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing as durable as powder paint.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mjhayes wrote:

Mike Laughing

You could of used a scotchbrite pad and scuffed the seating surface on the wheel. Then you would of been able to keep your wheels.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jowlz
The Anti-Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been of debate over powder coating on the racing forums I go to. Some people claim that they can't get the lugs to stay tight on powder coated rims. Some people have never had a problem with powder coated rims. The solution is to scuff the powder coat up where the lug nuts make contact.
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like my powder coated wheels...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

they were about $65 each, which included blasting/cleaning...
Dub Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do i get paint for my Rabbit wheels? Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarreraRS2.7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted the steelies on my Accord about a year ago. I cleaned them up real good with steel wool and sandpaper. Then I sprayed several coats of gray primer. Next I sprayed severay coats of silver wheel paint. Finally lots of clear coat. I bought everything at PepBoys (any auto parts place will do). They came out great and looked like brand new silver wheels. A year later they still look good with no chips or scratches.

Gigi: Saturn Yellow 1974 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

El Barto: Rosso 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

59 vw guy wrote:
a good powder coater can get it in all the cracks.

That right there is a t-shirt waiting to happen.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
harryset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones wrote:
59 vw guy wrote:
a good powder coater can get it in all the cracks.

That right there is a t-shirt waiting to happen.

Yesssss! And I gotta have one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since this old thread has been brought back to life, I have a question.

Can you powdercoat a rim two tone? Or would you have to powder the whole thing, and then paint the other color?

Thanks
Eric

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: