Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much is my bus worth?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: How much is my bus worth? Reply with quote

No! The Dormy is NOT for sale! Shame on you

However, methinks there should be a sticky "Official How Much Is My Bus Worth?" thread since it seems almost daily there is a new thread asking basically the same questions. Think

Most answers are the same too: "Look at comparable buses in the classy ads! Original paint! Rust/bondo issues! Floors, battery tray! Interior condition and/or completeness!" Etc. etc.... Confused

Not trying to "knock" anyone out here, just commenting on an observation. What say you? Eh?

Burn me if you want too! I love fire! Razz
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree with you but I think in this case it might be useful to have a single thread dedicated to a certain Bus where the person can post photos, etc.

Other opinions welcome.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M183kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing, there should be a sticky for this subject...lots o' people apparently have no clue what their bus is worth plus I think it might be interesting for those who are curious about insurance values...
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there are a lot of these posts. The problem is, as you know, a bus is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. That is a very subjective thing so throwing numbers out might not be that much help.

Take your Dormy for example.... camper guys love the shit out of it and would be willing to pay big $$$. Other guys could take it or leave it. If you posted "what is my dormy worth" I think you would get a big range of prices based upon the posters interests.

I think a more useful thing would be a legend of previously sold buses with all their details:

Sold (01/03/14) - 66 Kombi, all original with complete interior, 15k.
Sold (11/13/14) - 59 Single Cab, lowered, WW suspension, 12k.

That has real value and can be used to get a somewhat accurate price based upon previous sales (comps). The hard part is getting people to honestly tell you what they paid (or sold) a bus for. Maybe some type of anonymous submission process although some bus sales would be easy to pick out.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread in the Bus FAQ too, although it is a summary:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94568
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing, one sticky thread please.
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this is going to do is turn into a pissing match on people tearing apart each others busses.

I do agree, each vehicle is different and the price that is worth is the price someone is willing to pay.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just thinking outloud - Maybe seperate forum "what's my VW worth" and only a select group of people can answer"? Maybe also recent auction prices, a spot where sellers can list what they actually sold their cars for, etc? Just thinking of a way to make it work, because I do think there is a general need for this. Like the "what's my car worth?" tv show
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be fun to read 5 years from now too. Who knows if the bubble will burst or if prices will go bat shit crazy.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your bus is probably worth LESS than what comparable examples are not selling for in the classifieds.

comparable means very similar condition, model, options and year.

it can sometimes be hard to find comparables for less common or rare buses.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, generating quite a few responses in a short time! Surprised

Of course there will always be exceptions to the norm, but generally speaking most always get the same response. Either a smart aleck answer or the suggestion to look at the classifieds. Or one could even browse through the "hater" thread, er, I mean the "whines", to see what others are commenting about similar buses!?! That's what I would do if I was looking to price something I had or intending to buy. Cool
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a sticky that people can post their bus for evaluation would be good. it would archive value discussions in one thread for future reference.
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this as well. I have no intention on selling my buses anytime soon but I am needing a realistic agreed insurance value. Its difficult to determine a realistic value not knowing what stuff REALLY sells for.

A dedicated sticky might be nice however it might get a little confusing to follow with info on multiple busses in one thread.

Overall, I think its a wonderful idea IF people can only offer CONSTRUCTIVE feedback on value only.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember going to this VW show and I spotted a bus that had a “For Sale” sign on its windshield. I checked on the condition of it and it seems to be decent. One thing that I noticed on the “For Sale” sign was it did not indicate the price.

The owner was nearby and so I asked him how much is he selling his bus. He gave me a reasonable price but he quickly said that he is not ready to sell the bus yet. (Huh?) This kind of puzzled me and so I asked him why he placed a “For Sale” sign on his bus if he is not even ready to sell his bus. He said that he is just trying to feel the market and wants to know the value of his bus by letting people make an offer. But he is still not ready to let go of his bus.

I know it is their bus and they have the right to do this. Nothing against the law about doing that. It just made me think if that bus owner is just trying to amuse himself and try to satisfy his curiosity so that he can come home to his wife and tell her, "Hey honey, someone offered me so & so amount for my bus! But I am not selling it".
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
"Rust free" means Rust is FREE. The rest is junk.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never really agreed with the old adage "your (name vehicle here) is only worth what someone will pay". If that were the case, then why bother with appraisals for insurance claims and agreed value policies?

An appraisal gives you a reasonable value of your vehicle. You can do the legwork yourself for this info, or you can pay an expert.
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I have never really agreed with the old adage "your (name vehicle here) is only worth what someone will pay". If that were the case, then why bother with appraisals for insurance claims and agreed value policies?

An appraisal gives you a reasonable value of your vehicle. You can do the legwork yourself for this info, or you can pay an expert.

Or in the case of theft or a total loss. Its only worth what the insurance company will give you.

I think this type of thread can help in these type of situations to determine the true value of a bus.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

An insurance appraisal and market value are two very different things.

The guy trying to gauge the market by offers received is on a fools errand.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

An insurance appraisal and market value are two very different things.

The guy trying to gauge the market by offers received is on a fools errand.

Isn't an insurance appraisal based on finding market value? It seems they are directly related.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to have a thread dedicated to "how much is my bus worth" questions. Maybee one for parts too?

Sometimes you really don't know what you have and need someone to help identify it.

All these "how much is this worth" threads don't realy add anything to the technical Q and A on The Samba. It would be nice if they were in a seperate non-technical area like the general chat is.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: What is my bus worth Reply with quote

I think we just have to tolerate these posts. I don't think a "sticky" will help. To lump them all under one post could be confusing. "what is my bus worth" people are new and don't know our ways. I think these questions are almost as funny as some of the answers.

There is no correct answer to that question anyway. I would not sell my bus for 10 times what it cost me to restore. I have too much of myself invested than anyone could reasonably pay. I will do it again too. It is a syndrome with us!
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: