Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Busted Speed Bleeder Valves - FIXED
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Busted Speed Bleeder Valves - FIXED Reply with quote

About the one thing I really hate working on are the brakes. I can hardly ever get 100% of the air out and I'm paranoid that my kidneys are going to rot from the brake fluid contamination, even though I wear long sleeves and gloves when I work on them. Anyway...

I was replacing the master cylinder on my '72 Super because it was leaking into the tunnel. Afterwards, I went to re-adjust and bleed the brakes. I thought this was going to be easy. BUT - I had speed bleeder valves on the wheel cylinders, less than a year old. These have a check valve that makes it easy to bleed the brakes by yourself.

NOT WORTH IT. They were good for 2, maybe 3 adjustments since I installed them. Yesterday, ALL 4 SNAPPED IN THE WHEEL cylinders when I went to bleed or close the valves on each wheel!! d'oh! All for of my wheel cylinders are less than a year old. I was NOT a happy camper.

I was able to get them out w/a screw extractor:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I replaced one wheel cylinder before trying the extractor. I've read elsewhere where others say to just replace each cylinder, but this would have meant ordering them online again, waiting, blowing more $$$, and this is my daily driver. So w/the 2nd one I remembered I had the extractor and tried it, worked like a charm.

I just wanted to post this in case others might benefit. Saved me money and time by not having to remove the drums to replace the cylinders, since I was able to remove the busted bleeders w/the system intact.

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SOLiiD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Busted Speed Bleeder Valves - FIXED Reply with quote

What size does this need for the speed bleeders? I have a feeling My brakes need work very soon.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Busted Speed Bleeder Valves - FIXED Reply with quote

The only marking on the extractor is ex-2. The bleeder is 6 or 7 mm.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Busted Speed Bleeder Valves - FIXED Reply with quote

Apply a little anti-seize to the threads of the bleeder valve and use the rubber cap to keep water from getting inside the valve. Doing so will result in bleeder valves that never rust tight and break off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: