Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Taking A Chance.....1970 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Taking A Chance.....1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Tuesday morning, my wife and I will be traveling 287 miles to Winston-Salem North Carolina to look at and possibly buy a 1970 standard Beetle...And if we do buy it, it'll have to make the 287 mile trip back home....all of this in one day... Current owner is confident the Beetle will make the trip without any concerns and wouldn't be afraid to drive it anywhere....I live by the "if it sounds too good to be true" theory....Beetle is supposed to be practically new with all receipts to back it up..I guess we'll find out Tuesday....Wish us luck!

My '74 SB Build On The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609943

Our Web Site: http://www.kentuckyhotwheels.com

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. Be sure to post pictures!

"It’s better to give than to receive. Especially advice." -Mark Twain
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about using a VW tow bar? A 1970 is still a standard beetle.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last purchase was 180 one way. Glad I have a tow bar and tow lights. The vehicle probably would have made it.
Post pictures

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics to post...made it Winston Salem at by 11:30am this morning, left our house at 6:30am....the beetle looked ok, but not as advertised....he was asking 6,500 for it but I think it was worth more like 4000 to 4500....was a great day trip with my wife though and we had fun.... Smile

My '74 SB Build On The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609943

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
darg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: 70 bug Reply with quote

It is a shame when some people advertise they do not tell exactly the truth. All though they might think the car is in real good shape to them. So who knows, it would save both party ,s a lot of expense and trouble. I bought a 70 bug that was being restored and advertised as complete. Plenty of parts in boxes and etc. I found out otherwise, but I am still working on it sense last spring.At least you all had fun

darg Confused
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 bug Reply with quote

darg wrote:
It is a shame when some people advertise they do not tell exactly the truth. All though they might think the car is in real good shape to them. So who knows, it would save both party ,s a lot of expense and trouble. I bought a 70 bug that was being restored and advertised as complete. Plenty of parts in boxes and etc. I found out otherwise, but I am still working on it sense last spring.At least you all had fun

darg Confused

Amen brother..... Smile

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you and walk away. You are wise you did.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

And you always learn something everytime you do this....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

And you always learn something everytime you do this....

So true!!! Patience has never been my greatest asset, especially when I have the money, in hand, burning a hole in my pocket...lol It was hard to walk away from this one, especially after driving so far and having high hopes, but I bucked up and left...10 minutes later, I was fine with my decision...I'm looking for a keeper, my toy for retirement. So what if I have to wait longer...I'm sure that when I quit looking, something will come my way.... Smile

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that when sellers neglect to tell you what's wrong with a car that they just "didn't think to mention it". The fact is, they're, either exaggerating, trying to hide the truth by remaining silent, or just out and out lying to you.

You can always judge someone's character by how honest they are. Anyone who sells a car--knowing that it has issues, but neglects to mention them--is just a thief ... period.

Tim
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple years ago I sold my 97 Saturn to a friend. I actually had fun explaining all the "tricks" to making this and that work. They needed a car, I needed it ourt of my life to make room for a Westy. $700 later we were both happy. She gave it to her sister and on last check the thing is still running. It had quirks and was 3 different colors, but I stayed on top of that thing mechanically and it was still getting close to 35mpg when I sold it. I agree with Tim, lots of theivery in the auto-sales world. People cannot wrap their heads around the idea that an old, high mileage car is basically worthless. Esepcially the people that say "Well its got 150,000 miles on it and I've done anything to it" Right...that means everything is about to break! Otherwise you wouldn't be ditching it would you?

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking another chance this weekend...looking to purchase a 68 Beetle from a fellow Samba member (since 2004)....Longer drive than last weekend, but at least it's in the same state... Smile I believe his asking price is reasonable based on what I've been told and pics, but I thought the same thing with the Beetle in NC as well...So, Saturday morning, we're driving to the other side of the state to look at yet another Beetle.....I have a better feeling about this one...!

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
scottmc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always bought cars real cheap and sold them cheap. maintained them and improved exterior and interior. when an upgrade comes my way i sell the old. last sale was 96 corolla with 365k. was only looking for 800 and getting calls like crazy. the person that bought it was so shocked i told him how it would need brake shoes soon, the fact that the right front strut was blown and the fact it burned so much oil that it practically changed its own oil, he didnt even haggle on price. he said i didnt give him any bargaining power because all the cards were on the table. only if everyone was honest when selling cars, we wouldnt waste each others time. i always think to myself, would i want to find this after buying? i guess its karma but ive always gotten my asking price on any car ive sold because of this. my friend who stayed in the car business is a different story. he would sell a death trap to a single mother of 5 and not say a word. 12 years of working in shops and 6 years working for myself on the side prove that unfortunetly most auto mechanics think that way as well as private sellers who know more than the average person
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on this venture. Like some of us have walked away and glad we did. I have a 68, they are mechanically like the 67's just a different body.
My 68 is not for sale and when asked what I want I tell them its 10K. However if they pony up 10K its sold.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottmc wrote:
ive always bought cars real cheap and sold them cheap. maintained them and improved exterior and interior. when an upgrade comes my way i sell the old. last sale was 96 corolla with 365k. was only looking for 800 and getting calls like crazy. the person that bought it was so shocked i told him how it would need brake shoes soon, the fact that the right front strut was blown and the fact it burned so much oil that it practically changed its own oil, he didnt even haggle on price. he said i didnt give him any bargaining power because all the cards were on the table. only if everyone was honest when selling cars, we wouldnt waste each others time. i always think to myself, would i want to find this after buying? i guess its karma but ive always gotten my asking price on any car ive sold because of this. my friend who stayed in the car business is a different story. he would sell a death trap to a single mother of 5 and not say a word. 12 years of working in shops and 6 years working for myself on the side prove that unfortunetly most auto mechanics think that way as well as private sellers who know more than the average person

Reminds me of when I sold my Supra. I wrote a 3-page disquisition about every single inch of the car. I did finally find it a home, and got what I asked for it, but it also really cut down on a lot of interest/tire-kickers that one might normally receive.

I believe people leave out all of those details to keep interest high and get people out to look at the car. Is it shady? Yes. But it works. Going such a route, at that point, the onus is on the seller to disclose everything with the car and make an honest sale, or to keep everything under wraps and rip the buyer off. You're still wasting everyone's time though if the buyer decides to pass after inspection/full disclosure.

Count me in with the group who would rather disclose every detail about a car, and sit on it for months while it sells, rather than put out a vague ad and count on ignorance to make a quick buck.
bigfeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Reply with quote

I always write my ads in a good, bad, ugly format. Be honest, price high, let them negotiate (because everybody wants a deal), and the process is painless(ish).
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Good luck on this venture. Like some of us have walked away and glad we did. I have a 68, they are mechanically like the 67's just a different body.
My 68 is not for sale and when asked what I want I tell them its 10K. However if they pony up 10K its sold.

Amen to that! Everything has a price.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking A Chance.....1970 Beetle Reply with quote

houseofboyd wrote:
Tuesday morning, my wife and I will be traveling 287 miles to Winston-Salem North Carolina to look at and possibly buy a 1970 standard Beetle...And if we do buy it, it'll have to make the 287 mile trip back home....all of this in one day... Current owner is confident the Beetle will make the trip without any concerns and wouldn't be afraid to drive it anywhere....I live by the "if it sounds too good to be true" theory....Beetle is supposed to be practically new with all receipts to back it up..I guess we'll find out Tuesday....Wish us luck!

Wait a sec--
Your user name is houseofBoyd, and you're from eastern Kentucky?
Is your last name Crowder? Is your wife's name Ava? Do you intend to use your newfound vehicle as a way of transporting illegal goods? Razz

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking A Chance.....1970 Beetle Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
houseofboyd wrote:

Wait a sec--
Your user name is houseofBoyd, and you're from eastern Kentucky?
Is your last name Crowder? Is your wife's name Ava? Do you intend to use your newfound vehicle as a way of transporting illegal goods? Razz

lol...that's a good one!

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: