Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro tranny question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Syncro tranny question Reply with quote

Guys -
What is this connection on my syncro tranny? I know this is not the best pic but should work. It is located on top towards the front of the tranny, towards the decoupler. It looks like some kind of bleeder that has tranny oil in it. It runs up into the engine bay but I cant see where it ends up. I looked in the Bently and did not see anything definitive about it. Reason I ask is that when I was dropping the engine/tranny i didnt notice it was connected and put a small crack in it and want to address it before I put everything back together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, on a side note, anybody know where to get a new replacement for the foil/cloth heat shield that protects the sycnro gas tank. This is the one that is glued directly to the tank. Mine is all tore up and want to replace while everything is out.

Thanks for the help,
Keith
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breather line that terminates in the engine compartment just above where the fuel line enters.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: heat shield Reply with quote

https://www.designengineering.com//category/catalo...ve-backing
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Insycro. Given that its just a breather line, you think I could just effectively seal the small crack I put in it? Or should I just get a new one? You can see the small crack in that pic I posted.

Thanks,
Keith
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture is too small for me to see, but as long as we are talking about the hard plastic line that attaches at the banjo fitting, Yes, it can be mended as it only carries vapor, unless you overfill your transmission, than some fluid can be pushed up the tube, but the seals will leak before any would come out of that pipe.

What is the other line hanging down?
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That other line is the intake for the propex. I run it to the middle of the van and face it towards the back of the van, all zipped tied down, but I have the drive-line protection off so it is just hanging down now.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just a breather hose. You can replace it with any plastic piping that fits.
The Syncro has this hose (the 2wd drive has just a hole) so the breather can vent higher than any water level when fording streams.

It's a good idea to check all three vent lines for crud clogging up the hoses. That would prevent the vent from doing it's job of equalizing air pressure within the transmission, diff, and bell housing. That will lead to oil leaks from the transmission or diff.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: