Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick stop in Grand Canyon- suggestions?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Quick stop in Grand Canyon- suggestions? Reply with quote

Hey all-

My wife and I are going to be taking a trip from SF down to Scottsdale early this coming March to hit Spring Training and celebrate my 40th birthday. Stoked! On the way home, I'd like to stop by the Grand Canyon. I've travelled through Arizona at least fifty times over the years and have never made it, so it's time to remedy that. It's going to have to be a quick jaunt, due to our other plans. I am looking at leaving Scottsdale on a Saturday and will want to camp that night. Sunday, I hope to be somewhere nice to do some hiking around the canyon, camp that night, and then start the trek back to SF on the Monday. Do any of you have suggestions for where we should head? As a rule, we aren't much for crowds, but with such a small window, I suppose we can't be overly picky. We'll be there the second weekend in March, so hopefully it will still be somewhat before the busy season.

Many thanks for any ideas you may have!

Cheers,
Ryan
Some people call him Maurice...
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my fondest memories of the southwest was of the Grand Canyon. I was driving through on my way home from LA. On a whim I decided I was going to charter a helicopter ride through the Canyon. It was impulsive and it wasn't cheap but it's something that I figured at the time I wouldn't be likely able to do again or anytime again soon.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is truly one impressive example of out of control Erosion!!!

Wherever you view it from it's a heck of a big hole, but until you get out of your Van and trek down into it.... You've no clue how impressive it really is.

We have the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania in Wellsboro.
A really nice heavy treed preserved erosion but to say that is anything like the real Grand Canyon would be like saying that the Pocono Mountains rival the Rockies!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG_s-AfjIes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have massive knowledge of the area but have been to both the North and the South Rims. From Scottsdale you are heading for the South (nearest) Rim, I assume. With little time to devote to it, probably the best\easiest thing to do is take the shuttle west from the lodge area out to the Hermit's Rest and hike back to the lodge. Three miles, maybe. That trail skirts the rim and has many scenic spots. The trail down into the canyon begins near the lodge also. There may be other trails east of there near Mather Point.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in the southwest most of my life, and only got there last year. It is amazing.

Camp at east end, less crowded. Just hike along the rim and look in.

Desert View Campground, South Rim
Desert View Campground is located 25 miles east of Grand Canyon Village (South Rim) and is open mid-May(weather permitting) though mid-October. Desert View Campground is available on a first-come, first-served basis (no reservations). $10 per site per night. Hook-ups are not available.

Depending an your interest....geology, archeology, history , photography or just plain beauty, there is so much there. Lots of info online and plan ahead.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should not be crowded in March at all, BTDT. I'd go straight to the main campground on the South Rim. Desert viewpoint is nice but does not offer the grandeur of the main village overlooks IMHO. You can also do a short hike down into the canyon from the lodge areas, but watch out for ice on the shady parts of the trail... Shocked Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My time to shine! The Grand Canyon is one of my favorite places of all time. Ive done probably over 30 multi night hikes into the canyon.

March is a good time of the year to be in the canyon, it will be getting busy, but its also a good temperature.

Without actually getting into the Canyon you could spend a whole day or more along the south rim trail just checking it out from different vantage points.

If you don't want to pay to stay in the "normal" campground there is a little bit of national forest camping just outside of the park. This is typically what I do, though its well used and very close to tusayan, its still better than the NPS campground.

Camping just outside Tusayan:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Long+Jim+Loop,+K...94!5m1!1e4

This is a pretty quiet area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35%C2%B058%2704....x0!5m1!1e4

Both of those are outside the park in national forest so its camping at large.

Desert view is on the east entrance, it offers some different views of the canyon:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you get lucky and are there during a full moon or other celestial event its pretty cool, I got to see a comet and a lunar eclipse in one trip!

There are all sorts of old archelogical stuff scattered around, the most recent ruins of which are a uranium mine(ugh). Fun fact, the ore that was pulled out of the grand canyon was the highest grade ever produced in NA!

There are also older mining ruins:

The hike down from Grandview point to horseshoe mesa will get you down to some of the old mining ruins, including the engine posted above. You drop quite a bit in elevation, so if you were looking for an extended day hike that is one possibility. Most people hike down the bright angle trail from the main lodge/tourist nervous system to plateau point. This offers good views of the canyon and as a first timer might be a good hike to start with to get acquainted.

Plateau point:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B005%2735....x0!5m1!1e4

Horseshoe mesa:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B001%2708....x0!5m1!1e4

Between all the vistas and those hiking options that should fill up your short timeline pretty quick!

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna post some more random pictures while I'm looking through old photos.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly Grand place I enjoy returning to year after year. Fine hiking too whether a day hike or a Rim-to-Rim.

Since time is limited I would suggest the Mather Campground. Not a wilderness experience but real handy.

It is located well for the shuttle bus or a walk to the rim. Reservations can be made online and are a good idea - the Aspen loop gives you the quickest exit for your days activity.

One of the rangers often on duty is a Vanagon driver - if he is there it will be parked at the CG entrance and if you are driving yours he will comment on it.

Reserve at Recreation.gov

For a day hike -- I would recommend getting below the rim. The views from the top are great but to really experience the canyon it is better to get down in it. A plus is that those crowds you mention? 99% of the visitors never get below the rim.

There are two day hikes readily available from the central area:

Bright Angel Trail -- the best known trail into the canyon, you can hike as far down as you care and save some strength for the hike out. To gauge your distance there are restrooms and shelters at 1½ miles and 3 miles - but no water at those in March. A more ambitious goal would be Indian Gardens at 4.8 miles down - there will be water there. That is about the limit for a day hike unless you are running Marathons every month of the year.

South Kaibab Trail -- a hike down to Cedar Ridge is a great hike and the views as you go are spectacular. No water ever available on the S Kaibab. The Bright Angel is mostly a canyon hike, the Kaibab is a ridge hike - totally different feel.

You will be able to walk or take the shuttle to the Bright Angel trailhead, you will have to take the shuttle to the South Kaibab as cars are not permitted there after February 28 each year.

In March both trails may be snowy or icy -- this need not deter you. The stores (Marketplace Plaza near the CG) sell instep crampons that make you stick to an icy trail like Spiderman. They are not expensive - get them if in doubt, as I recall if you buy them and do not open the package you can return them (verify if that is your plan). I have hiked the canyon in all seasons and all weather including 17° blizzards, deep snow and solid ice - all were wonderful.

Enjoy your visit - once you have been there I predict you will be back for more.

Last edited by Ahwahnee on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is really icy the South Kaibab trail is much more exposed to the sun and therefore less icy than the Bright Angel trail which has many of the upper parts shielded from the sun.... Very Happy

I hiked down to Phantom Ranch with some friends and my 75 year old mom March 2012. We went down the South Kaibab and then returned on the Bright Angel. There was a marked difference in the amount of ice on the two trails.

The Western Syncro build
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get that far, the chef at the bottom of the canyon came all the way up here to look at our Syncro when it was on the market. Heck of a nice guy, and Vanagon enthusiast. Someone else bought it, but I enjoyed meeting he and his wife.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested the desert view and east end because of the time constraints. It has beautiful vistas and trails to hike along the rim that are unpaved and it is considerably less crowded. You can also walk to the rim from the campsite, it's about a mile. Set up at camp, it's nice to walk to the tower then west along the rim.
We spent 4 nights at Grand Canyon and it wasn't enough. We drove back and forth the 28 or so miles to the west end vistas, and museums several times. We spent a night at Mathers too, to hear the elk. We walked down bright angle trail just a little ways, it was too late in the day and we want to go back prepared for hiking down. I could hardly bear to leave. In fact, we had left the park and a storm started to blow in. We turned around and went back and stayed another night. (Sr. pass, entrance free)

Hard to believe only about 5% of the visitors go below the rim.

Also amazing to learn only about 5% of the canyon has been explored!

We also spent several days on the way home exploring the amazing pre-Hopi ruins that are in the surrounding areas.
It is a place that words fail to describe.
Love the pictures!!!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went for Spring Break a few years back, so around the same time of year:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550217&highlight=grand+canyon

I agree with the other posters about the beauty of the place; you just have to see it to believe it.

I'll also add that while Mather campground is massive, it's well laid out and close to the big tram station that carts you to trail heads. So if you're in a time crunch, it might be convenient.

(On a sidenote, checking out my trip report linked above makes me want to hit the road!)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like airplanes, there is a pretty neat airplane museum on the road into the south rim, worth a visit, some cool stuff inside.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son and I just spent 1/21-22 in the area. He had never been and it had been 40 years for me. Our trip began in Yorktown,Va. and ended in Indianola,Wa.
The Grand Canyon was by far the highlight of the 3800+ miles. He is 21 and it was a life altering experience for him and myself. Reiterate the above comments, didn't want to leave, no words or pictures can describe. If you are not profoundly affected by this area, I am sorry, because you just don't get "it".

Crowds, non-existant, Bright Angel was icy, we had light snow overnight and the next day was unbelieveably beautiful.
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick tourist check at the south rim last year on my move from PA to CA.

My buddy and I had 3 days to kill and the phantom ranch trail seemed pretty hard core and out of his ability.

We ended up hiking to Havasupi Falls. It a nice trail except the start of the trailhead/end is steep and we did it in August.....

Can't say enough good things about this. It was quiet, saw a few hikers but didn't have the touristy feel like the south rim does. Camped down at the falls and came back the next day after some great swimming. Its 10 miles each way but you could rent a mule and take the easy way.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/havasupai.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not much out of your way to hit the North Rim. Thats how we did it and saw no one. We camped right on the rim for free in the NF.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
It's not much out of your way to hit the North Rim. Thats how we did it and saw no one. We camped right on the rim for free in the NF.

Not in March you won't. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: