Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Digijet wiring harness rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Digijet wiring harness rebuild Reply with quote

Amyrickvermont wrote:
.... found this one the most helpful for my 1980 van.....
After a bunch of frustrating gremlins, I discovered that my harness probably was causing the unpredictable stalls, intermittent skips on #3 and #4, starting issues in the cold, etc.

I re-used my ECU plug, as it was in good shape.

In the middle of the project, I decided many of my problems could have been caused by the grounds from this harness.

At the end of the project, I had multiple fused and broken wires, as well as partially broken wires.
I tested all connectors for conductivity prior to installing. I didn't find and problems.
The new connectors installed with a resounding snap. It started right away, even in the cold, and idled properly. It has literally never run better.

Thank you for taking time to post what you did and found. In particular what you see for tests on old harness and how well the new harness improved things. I keep getting to a "500" page on Digikey but am curious if they sell Bosch type ECU connectors.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Amyrickvermont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Digijet wiring harness rebuild Reply with quote

The photo I shared of the ECU connector shows two part numbers.
I have not been able to find the ECU connector part number, and it doesn’t appear that digikey offers Bosch connectors. There are many similar 35 pin connector part numbers, but none that appeared identical. I think they are available somewhere, I just haven’t found one yet. The simplest for me was to clean up my connector and re-use it. The gasket and the loom lock seem to be available in the UK. There were other applications of very similar 35 pin connectors by BMW/VW/Audi.
The 7 position connector for the AFM unit is backordered on the digikey site, I will just replace mine when it ships. It is currently available through a UK seller on the US ebay site.
The digi-key cart link earlier in this thread was for the .ca site. My link is a .com (US)
I included the contents of the cart in this post, and perhaps you can try this .ca cart that I set up; https://www.digikey.ca/short/4792h3

Index Quantity Part Number Manufacturer Part Number Description Customer Reference Available Backorder Unit Price Extended Price USD
1 15 A27935CT-ND 42100-1 CONN QC RCPT 14-18AWG 0.250 15 0 0.171 2.57
2 50 A107135CT-ND 925590-2 CONN SOCKET 15-20AWG CRIMP TIN 50 0 0.3142 15.71
3 4 A100770CT-ND 62572-1 CONN QC RCPT 16-20AWG 0.110 4 0 0.19 0.76
4 7 A106202-ND 827551-3 JUNIOR TIMER CONNECTOR-HSG 7 0 2.26 15.82
5 1 A122414-ND 282194-1 CONN JR PWR TIMER 7POS 5MM BLACK 0 1 3.33 3.33
6 7 A105234-ND 880810-1 COVER CAP 2 WAY 7 0 1.48 10.36
7 3 A27922CT-ND 42460-1 CONN QC TAB 14-18AWG 0.250 CRIMP 3 0 0.22 0.66
ptcrsby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet wiring harness rebuild Reply with quote

I am currently in the middle of the same project (digijet harness rebuild) and I have run into some confusion in regards to the fuel injector Pin numbers on the ECU plug. The Bentley wiring diagram as well as a labeled pin out diagram I found both read as follows:
Inj #1 —— # 12 (ECU)
Inj #2 —— # 11 (ECU)
Inj #3 —— # 24 (ECU)
Inj #4 —— # 23 (ECU)

However, my old harness (never been tampered with) has Inj #1 and # 2 connected to ECU #24 and #23, Inj # 3 and #4 connected to ECU #11 and # 12. I have come across several post in regards to this project that mention fuel injectors that were “wired wrong” according to Bentley. This contradictory evidence leaves me to wonder which of the following scenarios is true:

A- there is a widespread typo in multiple wiring diagrams that mis-numbers the injector pin numbers
B- there was a widespread problem at the factory where wiring harnesses were built wrong (seems unlikely)
C- the ECU PIN numbers actually don’t matter and you can hook up inj in any combination of the four pins...?

Hopefully someone has some insight into this confusion... anyone who has tackled this project did you follow the diagram or your old harness ( or were they the same)??

Thanks for all previous posts-
Amyrickvermont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet wiring harness rebuild Reply with quote

Warning-this is likely not helpful.
I copied the old harness exactly, which happened to match Kyle's outline.
You will notice on my prior post that I do not have a #11, #12, #24, or #23 wire. No connector at ECU, no wire.
RawUmber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Digijet wiring harness rebuild Reply with quote

The four Fuel Injection wires are bonded together inside the Digijet ECU, so electrically it shouldn't matter which FI wire is connected to a specific injector. That said, I would still encourage you to make the harness the same as the factory unless there is a good reason to do it differently.

Edit: If anyone is getting as confused as I was... Looks like two harnesses are being discussed. Amyrickvermont appears to be talking about the AFC harness (35 pin ECU) while the rest of the thread is about the Digijet harness (25 pin ECU).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
acegallagher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Digijet wiring harness rebuild Reply with quote

RawUmber wrote:
The four Fuel Injection wires are bonded together inside the Digijet ECU, so electrically it shouldn't matter which FI wire is connected to a specific injector. That said, I would still encourage you to make the harness the same as the factory unless there is a good reason to do it differently.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is really interesting, along with an informative photo. This makes me want to ask the question though: does this mean that the ECU doesn't fire each injector at some specific timing before TDC? If all injectors are grounded to the same circuit in the ECU, how does Digijet ensure that the timing of the injectors is correct?
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Digijet wiring harness rebuild Reply with quote

Digijet is batch fire. Power is always going to all 4 injectors at once and they get grounded through the ECU to make them fire based on the timing of the ignition that the ECU gets from the hall sensor. All 4 injectors fire at once. You could have the connectors swapped and the engine wouldn't care. All the power wires for the injectors are spliced together in the harness at one point. I based this build off of the pinout in the bentley manual. It will only work for digijet.
ptcrsby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Digijet wiring harness rebuild Reply with quote

Excellent- this is just the information I needed to clear up my confusion. Thanks all- harness rebuild complete and worth it for piece of mind alone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: