Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 vanagon power steering wiring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ludwig2691
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

Hey there, I recently bought an 85 tin top with the original 1.9 digijet. Towed it home and started digging into the engine. Quickly found out that all the wiring had been fried, don’t know how or why. Got most of the harness replaced but I can’t figure out where the black wire from the “power steering idle boost solenoid” goes to, as it was completely gone. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. I can’t find info anywhere!!! I have the brown wire going to the actual Ps switch, but I don’t have any clue where the black wire goes... sorry to sound redundant
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

The black wire is +12Vdc in your junction box in the engine compartment.
It goes to the solenoid valve. The ground goes from the solenoid valve to the PS switch, and from the switch to actual ground. When the pressure switch closes the contact, it ground the solenoid valve, and opens the air by-pass.
If you have AC, it`s 2 valves, same logic with Y connectors for the hoses.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Ludwig2691
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

I appreciate it! Do you by chance know exactly where the black wire would connect to in the junction box? I’m afraid to connect to the wrong thing
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

Trying to follow along as I have an 85. So I tried to find the power steering wiring in the Bentley and am having no luck. If anyone knows where to look, I can post a pic.
Ludwig2691
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

A picture would be perfect, also I deleted the a/c and a/c booster.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

Ludwig2691 wrote:

This what you're looking for?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ludwig2691
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

That is helpful but I still don’t know where to connect the black wire to. A picture of someone’s 85 engine bay would be superb
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

It connects to the other black wire in there that is +12vdc ignition ON.
Some have a fuse on it. Daisy chain connections
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

The last 1.9 I worked on, that wire connected to the +side of the coil. Not in the black box. This van had AC.
Ludwig2691
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

Replying to both comments, I believe the the black ignition wire in the box connects to the coil so it should be able to connect to either in or out of the box and it should be fine??? Also should I add the fuse?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

$1 to the first one to mention adding a 7.5A to 10A fuse to the PS idle boost wiring...???

(Probably what led to your harness being burnt...the FIRST time...???) Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad <shrug>

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692179

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

Ludwig2691 wrote:
Replying to both comments, I believe the the black ignition wire in the box connects to the coil so it should be able to connect to either in or out of the box and it should be fine??? Also should I add the fuse?

Correct, the black wire at the coil doesn`t come off the sky, it is in the black box as well Wink
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

Fuse would be optional. The digijet power steering pressure switch completed a ground for the idle valve. The power supply to the valve was routed that it would not likely short.

The digifant pressure switch had power to it and completed the power path. It was more likely to short if the terminal insulator fell off and the wire touched a ground. So a fuse would be an improvement on the later van.

Adding a fuse won’t cause a problem. Also I know the power doesn’t come from the sky to the coil. The wire I was dealing with had a female spade connector that easily connected to the terminal on the coil.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

Crooked Designer wrote:
Ludwig2691 wrote:

This what you're looking for?

(Photo omitted)

No. Just thought I'd add a note for future readers. That page in the photo is for the later Digifant engines, not a 1985 with Digijet control.

I'm working this same issue for my 1985 and found that wiring for the power steering idle boost valve is not documented in Bentley. I've searched pretty thoroughly and would love to be proven wrong if anyone else can find it.
My 1985 has both A/C and PS but has only one idle boost valve. I suspect a PO removed the one for the A/C at some point, since the mounting bracket for it is still there. Bentley does show the wiring for the A/C idle boost valve on page 97.138.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
$1 to the first one to mention adding a 7.5A to 10A fuse to the PS idle boost wiring...???

(Probably what led to your harness being burnt...the FIRST time...???) Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad <shrug>

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692179

- Dave

PAY Attention to this thread or pay in other ways! Shocked

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon power steering wiring Reply with quote

A dealer installed AC in a digijet vanagon may not have the factory valve.

PS if I only had the one valve, I’d utilize it for the AC, not the power steering. No comparison in engine load. AC is a much bigger constant load.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: