Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mysterious? leak
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Mysterious? leak Reply with quote

I drove from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City (833 miles) over three days in my '87 poptop non galley camper without any problems except for poor gas mileage. Used cabin heat intermittently during the trip. Replaced a burned out taillight bulb and checked fluid levels in SLC. Coolant was down a bit (above MIN) and replenished back to MAX. The vehicle sat for four days without being used. When I went to start it this morning I noticed a small wet spot under the driver's side trailing arm. The bolt head was wet and the fluid felt slippery without any distinguishing odor. Later that morning I went to fill gas and moved the moved the #2 lever from mid to off during the drive. After filling gas I noticed a larger wet spot under the front of the vehicle and drips from the spare tire cover. I checked coolant level and there was no significant indication of loss.

I am assuming that I have a small leak either in my front heater core, the control valve, or the hose connecting the two. I also assume the the trailing arm bolt head wetness was somehow fluid that had gone downhill from the front. The Bentley shows the control valve with a notation "from cylinder head" and I also assume that the hose connecting the valve from the cylinder head could be the source of the leak. I assume that the position of the valve might influence the rate of the leak, but haven't driven enough to form an opinion in that regard.

It is Saturday and I believe Monday is a holiday. I don't plan to do much driving in the next few days and will be doing a search for Vanagon repairs in SLC.

What are TheSambans opinions of my assumptions? What are their experiences with a leak of this mysterious nature and what are their recommendations for coolant repairs in SLC?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<I noticed a larger wet spot under the front of the vehicle and drips from the spare tire cover.>>>

Hose, coolant tube, heater valve, radiator.

Time to drop the spare tire clam shell & take a look upward--could only be one of 27 different things--
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply TK. I'll be under the camper in the morning.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out to the '87 pop top this and saw the same small wet spot under the trailing arm and some fluid on the frame. Checked the coolant level and still at MAX. Dropped the clamshell and saw no evidence of fluid there. No evidence of fluid leakage from any of the cooling system plumbing. Started the engine and let it idle for about ten minutes with no drips anywhere. After about fifteen minutes a few drops appeared on the passenger side and along the frame under the radiator. Pulled the upper and lower grills and could see no leakage. Must be a pinhole leakage in the radiator or a leak at a hose connection.

I plan to do some driving and then crawl under for another look for the source. The leak is so small that I may not attempt any repairs until returning to SoCal.

Any recommendations for radiator replacement in Salt Lake City?

Aloha
tp
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find someone that can get a pressure tester on the expansion tank, then take a look.
This might / could save you some time & money
You'd be awfully grumpy after having a radiator installed & wind up still having the post nasal drip.

Have it checked out first.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money is on the heater control valve. I didnt ever have to open mine up when i lived in florida except for bleeding. When i came up to a colder climate, i ran with it open all day and came out the next day to a wet spot in the same place. Found that the control valve was leaking only when open. Its next to the radiator fan above the clamshell.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be, might not be.
They all don't leak in the same place every time.
A pressure test on the vehicle would eliminate any speculation ---BOW!
Here it is!

No guessing, and " because Johnny's leaked there doesn't necessarily mean mine is"

Verify first then start throwing money at it.
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Might be, might not be.
They all don't leak in the same place every time.
A pressure test on the vehicle would eliminate any speculation ---BOW!
Here it is!

No guessing, and " because Johnny's leaked there doesn't necessarily mean mine is"

Verify first then start throwing money at it.

i was following up...sort of a "when he tests it, my money is on...."
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's got to be a tell tale wet trail....... Follow it to its source.

I'd not drive without finding the source.
You have read the many posts about overheating and engine damage?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the front heater control valve. Correct me if I'm wrong. There have been no drops of coolant or evidence of a leak from anything in the tunnel above the clamshell.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the place where the coolant drops appear. Right at what I assume is the radiator frame and bolts. I don't know how to put an arrow on the spot. My MacBook Air is new to me. I see nothing coming from the hose, only a few drops on the metal.

After I found coolant drops after 15 minutes of idling I let it sit and cool down for a couple of hours and saw no further leakage. Took the camper for a 15 minute drive and no drops or wet spots.

I'm aware of the damage that can be caused to any engine from overheating due to coolant loss, but at this time I'm not really losing any significant amount. The tank is still at MAX. I'll be heading to Tahoe from Salt Lake City in about ten days and then to SoCal after a week in Tahoe. Until I find a source for a larger leak I'll be driving with an eye on the gauges.

Mysteriouser and mysteriouser.

Thanks for the replies.

Aloha
tp
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick plea to carry a square of cardboard or an old towel to put under it when you park to prevent killing someone's cat or dog. I had a scare a few days ago when I brought coolant soaked carpet inside to clean and it made a puddle quickly. We have pets. All is well but it's on my mind. If your car leaves only a little puddle it could kill a dog or cat and it's a painful death.

When my Van leaked coolant before I fixed it, I put a short cardboard box under the engine with an old towel in it. Prevents them from getting any liquid because the sides of the box go up almost touching the engine to prevent them from licking off drops as well.

Anyhow, be safe.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800 miles later and replaced about 1/2 cup of coolant. No visible leaks anymore.

Aloha
tp
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
I think this is the front heater control valve. Correct me if I'm wrong. There have been no drops of coolant or evidence of a leak from anything in the tunnel above the clamshell.

This is the place where the coolant drops appear. Right at what I assume is the radiator frame and bolts. I don't know how to put an arrow on the spot. My MacBook Air is new to me. I see nothing coming from the hose, only a few drops on the metal.

After I found coolant drops after 15 minutes of idling I let it sit and cool down for a couple of hours and saw no further leakage. Took the camper for a 15 minute drive and no drops or wet spots.

I'm aware of the damage that can be caused to any engine from overheating due to coolant loss, but at this time I'm not really losing any significant amount. The tank is still at MAX. I'll be heading to Tahoe from Salt Lake City in about ten days and then to SoCal after a week in Tahoe. Until I find a source for a larger leak I'll be driving with an eye on the gauges.

Mysteriouser and mysteriouser.

Thanks for the replies.

Aloha
tp

the coolant tank can be filled to max, but you can be low on coolant, you may well have an air pocket in the higher spots of the cooling system that wont make the coolant tank appear low. if you have a leak, do not assume that the system is still full just because the coolant tank is "full". You need to bleed all the air out of the system if you indeed detected a leak. follow the rather difficult bleeding procedure in the manual, raise vehicle front, rev motor, open bleed screw on radiator, bleeder valve on thermostat housing etc......

If you did indeed have a leak, and have not properly bleed the system you can be assured you have air in the system, do not think a full tank means you are ok, you likely are NOT ok.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a bit of distilled water to bring the coolant up to the MAX and drove from Salt Lake City to Tahoe. Checked the level at every gas stop and no drop in level. Checked the level still at MAX in Tahoe and drove to SoCal a week later Arrived in LA and the level was slightly above MAX. More coolant in the system than when I left SLC. Possibly due to checking a cold engine and rechecking a hot engine. Or possibly due to different slope of the parking spots. The coolant temperature needle never went out of the normal operating range when driving. No drops of coolant on the radiator frame or the trailing arm bolt when parked.

I believe that i have a self healing cooling system. The random particles in the radiator have gone to the pinhole leak and the system has cured itself. Rolling Eyes

If it works, don't fix it.

Aloha
tp
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<I believe that i have a self healing cooling system>>

Oatmeal, tobacco, eggs, some flim flam magic sealer, maybe.
Never a self healer --ever--

It'll leak again--nothing cures itself on it's own.
It's just a fact of life in coolant leaks.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self healing mechanical part?

It will never happen.

The only thing I've ever seen "self healing" are those rusty colored guard rails along the highways, if you scratch them....... The scratch rusts to match the rust. Maybe new galvanized plumbing where a threaded joint with seepage will seal itself with rust........old galvanized pipe joint leaks? WATCH OUT!

You better be budgeting and planning for a catastrophic cooling system event.

A temporary cessation of leakage happens sometimes ...... But that early warning sign will return, often far worse than the original event.

Dang! Pessimistic Old Farts!!!!!! Wink

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, to be young again...

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seventyfo wrote:
Ah, to be young again...

I turned 79 in January and youth is a state of mind and thanks to good health just finished a couple of weeks of skiing in Utah and California with family and friends.

I don't believe in self healing systems either, hence the emoticon Rolling Eyes . But I also believe in "if it works don't fix it". As a retired airline pilot I am familiar with the merits of preventative maintenance. Vanagons are always subject to catastrophic faiiure in one form or another. The best system is a combination of awareness and a Plan B. I don't have a planned budget, but I do have time, tools, abilities, and cash reserves.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep an eye on the gauges and check the ground under the vehicle every time I walk up to it.

Aloha
tp
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the self-healing concept: large temperature swings can change the properties of rubber and steel clamps. I can accept the possibility that a leak that showed up during extreme cold could heal itself in milder weather.

I would also ask, are you 100% sure the leak was coolant? Is there a possibility that water, in the form of ice or snow, was trapped somewhere in the frame and leaked out when the van warmed up?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
As for the self-healing concept: large temperature swings can change the properties of rubber and steel clamps. I can accept the possibility that a leak that showed up during extreme cold could heal itself in milder weather.

I would also ask, are you 100% sure the leak was coolant? Is there a possibility that water, in the form of ice or snow, was trapped somewhere in the frame and leaked out when the van warmed up?

I first noticed the leak after the camper had been parked for several days in cold weather. That leak was noticed as a spot on the ground under the trailing arm. There was a drop left on the bolt head and I rubbed it between my fingers and smelled it. It felt slippery and without any odor. I didn't do a taste taste, but assumed it was coolant. A few days later I saw a spot under the front and saw drops from the radiator frame. No ice, snow or rain during the driving or parked periods. The weather had been cold enough at night to freeze water bottles inside the camper, but was mild and sunny during the day.

I think that thermal expansion/contraction is a very strong possibility and far more plausible than self healing.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: